Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Robert Fripp Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 06:58
No.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 07:52
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

In fact, the comparison between Fripp and Emerson is quite interesting. Fripp is often complimented for his restraint and lack of showboating, which is quite a contrast from Emerson who didn't even want a guitarist (electric guitarist) in the band to compete with. Sometimes I ponder whether Fripp took that restraint too far.

I don't think he did...  the one who was guilty of that was Hatchet... he needed to leave the bland soporific Genesis before the full range his full and substantial talent could be utilized and bloomed. It is no coincidence that 70's Genesis was only really interesting when they took the shackles off of Hatchet. His shackling was #2 on my list of great prog crimes of the 70's.. the first of course being someone sticking a microphone in front of Latimer when they had enlisted Sinclair..  prog fans can forgive some thing.. but some things go beyond our endurance and capactiy to forgive haha.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 10:23
23 pages on this...? I can't even recall if I already commented.
Who's overrating him..?
 No....I don't think he is.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 10:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

23 pages on this...?

you obviously missed the greatest thread in PA's history when two of the most stubborn and pigheaded collaborators ever to grace the site spent 20 pages debating the release date of Fragile LOL  Oh how the red and blue font's flowed....

and I won of course..

Edited by micky - April 17 2016 at 10:41
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 10:53
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

23 pages on this...?

you obviously missed the greatest thread in PA's history when two of the most stubborn and pigheaded collaborators ever to grace the site spent 20 pages debating the release date of Fragile LOL  Oh how the red and blue font's flowed....

and I won of course..

Can we have a link to that thread???
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 10:55
I don't remember where it was.. it might have been in the collab zone so not available for all to see. it was back when I joined and was made a collaborator (against the wishes of the then admin team I might add.. oh they knew..  oh yes they did LOL).. so around 2005 2006.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 11:02
Of course Robert Fripp is overrated. He's so overrated, people don't dare call him Bobby.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 11:12

I don't remember where it was.. it might have been in the collab zone so not available for all to see. it was back when I joined and was made a collaborator (against the wishes of the then admin team I might add.. oh they knew..  oh yes they did LOL).. so around 2005 2006.

Did a google search simply typing Micky Ivan release date of Fragile and this was the first result: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16568&PN=7
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 11:14
ahh. that was it I think.  Though I remember it being longer.. oh well...  debating Ivan could be mighty tedious LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 11:22
hahaha.. god I love that man...Heart
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 11:31

ahh. that was it I think.  Though I remember it being longer.. oh well...  debating Ivan could be mighty tedious LOL

Don't I know it, I had a few of those blue fonts of death debates with him as well. My first one with him involved Satanic symbolism, the baphomet. The debate sure went around in circles. I like a synthesis of ideas when possible. Ivan can really wear you down, but ultimately I appreciated the exchanges despite being so frustrated.   He's a better arguer than this topic-starter.

As to the question: I imagine that Robert Fripp is overrated by some people in some ways, and underrated by other people in other ways. I know that I have overrated and underrated the significance of works over the years in objective ways.

Incidentally, I read earlier about claims about Robert Fripp's arrogance, but I have heard Fripp say in an interview that he doesn't consider himself to be a naturally gifted musician. I think some may overrate his arrogance.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 12:39
Yeah.. we do have quite the history. He brought me here, drafted me from the DDD website, pretty much told a unconvinced admin team I needed to be a collab. Always clicked... but rarely agreed. We didn't really debate trite matters like this too often. We started here and moved upwards quickly in stakes and resulting vitriol. Next it was for the hand of Raff as the symphonic team love triangle of Ivan, Raff and myself became a vehicle for wooing Raff. I thought Ivan had won that race, he was everything I wasn't. Handsome exotic, intellgient.. till one day when Raff sent me a PM and said she wanted me so badly and wanted to make my hair stand up straight and wanted to travel to the states and spend a week of unrestrained passion in the mountains of N.C... which we promtly did. So Ivan lost that one..

then came the battle royale.. of which again I prevailed.  RPI v. Symphonic. He had me fought to a standstill in that Operation Barbarossa sized PA's battle of wils and firepower.  That unfortunately is when things got nasty and we both started mass assasinations.. of each others character and of each others supporters. It got so bad the admin team finally did have to step in and M@X got off his fat ass and got involved.. and declared me the winner and gave us the seperate RPI genre and the means to take groups we wanted for it.

oh good times.  Frustrating at times but always a challenge.  Ivan has well earned his #2 position in pantheon of greatest PA's members ever.  Anyone who has dared debate him will never forget the experience. Intelligent, tenacious, and underhanded. Just like me, I just had the advantage of fighting for the right, be it factual or common sense. That was my edge.

as to the question. Good point about Fripp. Wasn't it said he considered Lake, Greg Lake to be a far better guitar player than he was. His talent wasn't as some god of guitar playing, it was as mastermind and guiding force of King Crimson. One of the 3 greatest and perhaps the single most infuential of all prog groups.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223