Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: What musical works do you improvise to (and how) ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

What musical works do you improvise to (and how) ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote coffeeintheface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What musical works do you improvise to (and how) ?
    Posted: July 10 2014 at 19:33
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq

^ Have you ever tried playing dyads (two-note chords) in your solos every now and then? Like:

--------0----2----3---5------
--------0----------------------

Sometimes. More likely I just hit random chords
PC-72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote PC-72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 21:07
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq

Originally posted by PC-72

Launch analog sequencer, have the polysynth hold a relevant minor chord. Either that or put multitracks of some old thing of my own and mute all the leads. I avoid improvising to pieces of music I haven't at least been involved in, both out of principle and out of extreme paranoia of accidental plagiarism down the road.
Nice. But what are you thinking about while you are improvising? I've skimmed through an article about a saxophonist who has a lot of chords burned into his brain so that he knows what chord is coming next in a composition before he determines how to solo over it. What little technical things do you think about?

None! I'm usually just trying to think how I can put whatever story/image that is at hand in notes without making it so complicated I can't play it twice. Either that or trying to see what images come out of whatever I'm playing, again without making it so complicated I can't play it twice. Just musical brainstorming, in other words!
A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 17:30

This tune is quite tough, but the changes are a dream to improvise over once you get your head around them. I'll post a video of my modest attempt at some point Embarrassed
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234