Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you picture the PA charts changing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you picture the PA charts changing?
    Posted: December 13 2012 at 00:24
How do you think the PA charts will change in the future? Two years? Five years?

I think as more people join the site and rate more albums, Wish You Were Here would enter the top 3, and sadly Thick as a Brick would drop. In general, pastoral music will become lower in rankings. Dark/heavy music will rise. Images and Words will no longer be top 2 of progressive metal, since it's not dark or heavy enough. Opeth's Ghost Reveries and Dream Theater's post-2000 works are the rising stars.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 00:28
I don't think much will change in two years or five years. There might be some slight changes, but other than that, ... I just doubt there will be some kind of a shocking overturn.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 13 2012 at 00:29
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 00:35
Give it 100 and it could be interesting.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 01:05
Blackwater Park will definitely rise up
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 01:24
But, I don't think that much will really change in the next few years.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 01:26
Not much overall, but the 2012 albums that are in the top 30 (Big Big Train, Anglagard) will fall back to their rightful position.

And no, I think Still Life will still hold over Blackwater Park, because it's more of a prog record (IMO). Of course, if all the other Opeth fans come in, then yes.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 01:52
Lady Gaga because "she plays piano" will be added and only be beaten out as chart topper by Torman Maxt.

Other than that, not much will change.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 02:14
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Lady Gaga because "she plays piano" will be added and only be beaten out as chart topper by Torman Maxt.

I'm actually predicting we'll hear a decent record come out of Gaga in the next 10 years. She's used mediocre pop to get to the top, now she'll change to the music she really wants to make, like the piano stuff she plays live.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 02:16
But in terms of a longer period (40-50 years), you'd see the 70's albums dropping. Because no one was around then, and it wouldn't have such a strong impact. I personally would take any modern album over any 70's album, and I honestly think it's just because I wasn't there. The top 100 will become less biased toward older music and more of a well-rounded look at the genre.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 02:44
I think that the OP is right. I have the impression that in the last few years on the forum there's much more interest for modern bands, and that the last will change also. Not immediately, but after 5 years I think there are some remarkable changes. If I see how some new cd's (Anglagard, Big Big Train) can shoot high like a rocket in the top 100 list, I think that some other changes will follow. Slowly but surely.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 05:51
In thirty years most 2000-2003 peak albums will be forty years old, then they'll be appreciated. Furthermore the question whether the word 'progressive' was already in use in the beginning of the 21th century will arise.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 05:55
I can't wait till Kind Of Blue hits the top spot.
Magma America Great Make Again
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 09:00

"Baby Do You Wanna Bump" is allmost 7 min !! must secure Boney M. a spot on PA (Crossover or Minimalistic ?)
After all they was an important 70's supergroup.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 09:22

The only way a drastic visible change could happen
is if a very large volume of new --and, most likely, younger-- members
highly rate and review a bunch of albums not currently at the top of the list.

Based on the fact that younger generations are shifting away from listening to albums in general,
I can only assume that this will hinder the potential for a substantial influx of new ratings/reviews...
especially an influx that would be significant enough to knock out a majority of the existing top rankings.

Will there simply be enough dedicated "Prog" fans attentively listening to entire albums in the year 2025 ? 

Will the basic concept of a long-form "album" be antiquated to a completely post-iTune, post-Streaming generation? 

Disapprove

Of course, I'm jumping a little ahead of the original question.
I don't expect to see much of a difference in the next 2 to 5 years.
Maybe one or two "newer" releases could hold a top-20 ranking.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 12:07
New sub-genres will be added, who knows what they will be, perhaps "prog-noise", "prog-burp", "puke-prog", "3-minute-proggy-radiohit" and "gregorian-chant-retro-prog", if they get enough followers they could take over some top places.

The music in PA will have become so diverse that the site will not generate anymore any sense of community or points in common among it's members, those who were alive in the 70's will be dead and the membership will consist of fragmented groups of people each liking a different period of prog and different kinds of music. They will gradually abbandon PA and switch to sites more specialized in their prefered sub-genres. The site will slowly die Cry

That is, of course, unless much before that M@x has shut down the whole thing and is enjoying retirement in the Caribbean Wink

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 12:15
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 12:37

Lady Gaga because "she plays piano" will be added and only be beaten out as chart topper by Torman Maxt.Other than that, not much will change.

If that happens I shall leave the prog family forever at PA. scary concept

Gaga=prog.    That is nightmare city right there.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 12:43
The SOUTH AMERICAN metal Giants

SOULFLY will finally be added to the P.A database.

This is a band that is extreamly progressive and experimental even Ecclectic at times by how they incorporate various south American/Latin instruments into their powerful metal sound.

Please let me rate and review all 8 of SOULFLY's albums to let the prog family know just how truly extraordinary this band is!!

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:06
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

But in terms of a longer period (40-50 years), you'd see the 70's albums dropping. Because no one was around then, and it wouldn't have such a strong impact. I personally would take any modern album over any 70's album, and I honestly think it's just because I wasn't there. The top 100 will become less biased toward older music and more of a well-rounded look at the genre.

Important contribution, Gaga fan. 

Prokofiev is important/good/influential? YES.

It is more important/good/influential than, let's say, Beethoven? NO.

Get the analogy? 

One thing is to appreciate the music of your time. Other is to evaluate it above another eras just because you "were there". 

But I'm afraid that, "compreensive" as PA is becoming in the last years (jazz/metal and even Soulfly (!) has a request to get into the wagon), there is a chance for Gaga. But not before her true inspiration (if being a clone is being inspirated), Madonna.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:17
my hope is less neo-prog and 'prog metal' and more classics.

Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

i think it's more  of a personal thing than an age thing. I am 18 and worship the music of the 60's and 70's. I can't think of anything that past 1980 that can compare to the classics for me. I know in my heart even if i lve to 80 years old and no one knows what prog rock is I'll still be cradling my Pink Floyd records and telling kids to go listen to King Crimson.

on the other hand, i hope with my generation the ideas and ideals of the 60's/70's could have a renaissance of sorts and that we have more genuine and innovative music. i find that modern stuff tends to be missing a lot of spirit and passion and I would love to see that return

Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

Based on the fact that younger generations are shifting away from listening to albums in general,
I can only assume that this will hinder the potential for a substantial influx of new ratings/reviews...
especially an influx that would be significant enough to knock out a majority of the existing top rankings.

Will there simply be enough dedicated "Prog" fans attentively listening to entire albums in the year 2025 ? 

Will the basic concept of a long-form "album" be antiquated to a completely post-iTune, post-Streaming generation?  

I'm saddened by how little hope you have for the youth! There's still a lot of us who can value real art. Not everyone has been brainwashed into thinking that whatever instant-gratification product that's being handed to us on a shiny platter is all there is.

Edited by Sumdeus - December 13 2012 at 18:26
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>