Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you believe Dream Theatre deserves all the praise is gets?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [12.77%]
24 [51.06%]
9 [19.15%]
8 [17.02%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater overrated?
    Posted: July 24 2005 at 18:00

This one is kind of self explanatory.  I merely wanted to find out if the prog community were as wary about DT as I am (I think they are slightly overrated.) Anyway . . .

Sorry about misspelling "Dream Theater" by the way . . . (as I am Canadian I typically employ the British spellings for things without thinking twice)  Also, I believe "ambivalent" is the correct spelling . . . oops.

Edited by hegelec
Cheers!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 18:03

I miss the option "DT are very good, but not the best", kind of between the first two options, so I voted for option 2.

Check out my Pain of Salvation poll, it's related to Dream Theater!

BTW: Welcome to the forum!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 18:05
Another thing: The name is "Dream Theater", not "Dream Theatre". You should change that (you can edit your post) ... even if you might not like them, you can still respect them.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 18:07
They are definitly derivative thieves, even their name is a derivative from the all too famous Dream Theater.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 18:21

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

They are definitly derivative thieves, even their name is a derivative from the all too famous Dream Theater.

you pedant, tux!

I voted for option 2...they are a great band, but I'm certainly not a Fanboy....

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 19:58
Definitely, DT are my favourite band! (Tied with my love, of course )
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:18
Is an excellent band, is not overrated, only some albums like falling into infinity ... IMO, but is a very good band

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:35
I hate them but I can see why people like them so much.  Talented band.
Anonymous2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:59

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

You couldn't have said it better. I totally agree.

And The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth
Anonymous2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 00:02

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

I totally and completely agree.

And The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth
Ethereal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 02:04
Dream Theater used to be very good, leading the way for other bands if u may, but it seems to me that 6 degrees of turbulance was their last decent album. As soon as I heard the small demo album included with the main one, I KNEW that was a test, a preparation, a messge to the listener that THIS is how they are going to sound from now on.

I am amazed at how they have ripped off Metallica and Megadeath riffs. I know they used to "copy" other bands in the past but this is too much.. they have even taken whole parts of small bands' compositions that were with inside out and recorded them as their own (I should know, I still remember my husband's face when he realised what he was listening to..his own music played by Dream Theater... his own score!!!).

So although I use to love Dream Theater, I don't think They are worth it any more. I haven't paid a single cent buying any of their last albums (train of thought and octavarium - Jesus!) nor do I intend to.

And knowing people that actually work with them I have to tell you they are NOT what they seem to be.. they are quite arrogant (all but John Muyang - he seems to be the only decent one) and Portnoy ironically isn't half as fun as he looks on video. And I have to tell u I hate "commercial" bands that come out with whole albums in a few hours, nonetheless this way.

So no more DT for me, thank you! Thousands of other bands out there with fresh ideas and lovely music to listen to - and no Labrie immitating Bono!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 03:19

Originally posted by Ethereal Ethereal wrote:

I am amazed at how they have ripped off Metallica and Megadeath riffs. I know they used to "copy" other bands in the past but this is too much.. they have even taken whole parts of small bands' compositions that were with inside out and recorded them as their own (I should know, I still remember my husband's face when he realised what he was listening to..his own music played by Dream Theater... his own score!!!).

It's Megadeth, not Megadeath ... but that's not so important. What's more important is that I fail to see where they rip off other artists ... could you give some specific examples? Ask your husband, if you have to ...

Ethereal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 03:43
I don't think I have to ask my husband over a spelling mistake (which by the way I make quite often..) ..

If you listen to MegadEth or Metallica then having heard their 6 degrees 2nd "mini" cd you go "I this sounds like this song..and this, what does this remind me of?".. I was never a great fan of Megadeth but I have (had) been listening to Metallica since I was under 10, so I know when their music is copied.. I don't have a particular example in mind, but if you want I can listen to the cd again, and the 2 albu8ms that followed and point out the exact parts that are actually other people's music, copied and maybe an octave up or down, or with a different key, still, copied.

About them stealing ideas and music from small bands of Inside Out, it's a fact and it seems my husband's band wasn't the only one to undergo that. I'm not sure I'm allowed to tell who my husband is and the name of his band - he left that band ages ago-  due to legal issues. Just be sure that I didn't make this up and that if nessesary, the album exists to prove it (produced by, ahem, Inside Out). Now that's HIS bitterness, NOT mine (although he still listens to the old Dream Theater). I'm just not happy with their "new" style and music, and certainly NOT their attitude.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 03:48

Originally posted by Ethereal Ethereal wrote:

I don't think I have to ask my husband over a spelling mistake (which by the way I make quite often..) ..

If you listen to MegadEth or Metallica then having heard their 6 degrees 2nd "mini" cd you go "I this sounds like this song..and this, what does this remind me of?".. I was never a great fan of Megadeth but I have (had) been listening to Metallica since I was under 10, so I know when their music is copied.. I don't have a particular example in mind, but if you want I can listen to the cd again, and the 2 albu8ms that followed and point out the exact parts that are actually other people's music, copied and maybe an octave up or down, or with a different key, still, copied.

About them stealing ideas and music from small bands of Inside Out, it's a fact and it seems my husband's band wasn't the only one to undergo that. I'm not sure I'm allowed to tell who my husband is and the name of his band - he left that band ages ago-  due to legal issues. Just be sure that I didn't make this up and that if nessesary, the album exists to prove it (produced by, ahem, Inside Out). Now that's HIS bitterness, NOT mine (although he still listens to the old Dream Theater). I'm just not happy with their "new" style and music, and certainly NOT their attitude.

I don't see why it should pose any legal problem to post similarities between songs ... you'd have to name the band, album and song (and time index, preferably), but not your husband's name. I'm really interested in which songs you're referring to, because I know a LOT of InsideOut albums.

There ARE a lot of similarities between Symphony X and Dream Theater, for example. But to be honest, I never bothered to find out who done those passages first ...

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
Ethereal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 04:20
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I don't see why it should pose any legal problem to post similarities between songs ... you'd have to name the band, album and song (and time index, preferably), but not your husband's name. I'm really interested in which songs you're referring to, because I know a LOT of InsideOut albums.

There ARE a lot of similarities between Symphony X and Dream Theater, for example. But to be honest, I never bothered to find out who done those passages first ...

Because they're not just similarities..if they were only similarities I wouldn't bother paying attention to it.

Symphony X are a well known band (and I think it's them who sound like DT, not vice versa), I'm talking about bands that have sold about 2-3,000 copies in the States in total, released one or two albums and that's it.

I'll have to ask him if he agrees to this, me revealing such information and if he does, I'll tell you the story of the band, their album that was copied, which song it was etc etc.. But since it's more complicated than it sounds and I don't want to get into trouble for something that doesn't concern me, I 'm not posting anything without permission. Maybe he'd like to do it instead.

Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 04:50
Definitely, Dream Theater are my favourite band!
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 08:14

I can hear that they're good, but they just don't belong to my favourite bands.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 04:00
I have to admit to being ambivalent to DT. Though I own some of their records, I can't seem to be able to warm to them, or to remember any but the most famous tracks (such as Take the Time or As I Am). They're very talented as musicians, but I can't really stand LaBrie, and I find them rather derivative. So, yes, I would say they are overrated.
Wolf Spider View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 04:33
They are not overrated, they are great musicians. I started my prog adventure with DT "Train of Though" and I fell in love with this band. I love their style.

The big prog metal trio: DT+PoS+Symphony X
Don`t you just love it?
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 04:36
Good band, with moments of real greatness (Scenes from a memory) and true awfulness (Train of thought).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>