FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTo be salvaged from oblivion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: To be salvaged from oblivion
    Posted: December 16 2012 at 11:58
Post here some of the obscure songs and/or albums that you personally see as brilliant and/or awesome that you feel are not very well preserved (or preserved in scarcity) on media, or the information on which is very difficult to find, or that you just want to make the whole world aware of. 

Also, feel free to post here some of the obscure artists that you personally see as brilliant and/or awesome people that you feel whose works are not very well preserved (or preserved in scarcity) on media, or the information on which is very difficult to find, or that you just want to make the whole world aware of.

It's gonna take some time for me to come up with a good list. For now I'll just go with: Scott Walker's take on Jacques Brel's "Alone". My god, such a great and overlooked song, ... and it's so hard to find any information on it.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 16 2012 at 19:54
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 12:29
Sgt. - Stylus Fantasticus

Post Rock mixed With Math Rock with a violin player as a permanent member. 
The album also features an alto sax. 

For anyone who liked Perhaps' Volume One. Very similar style here.

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 13:11
Hi,

Marc Almond's first and 2nd albums ... they were both fantastic, and it's hard to find them as it appears that Jon Mark does not want to be associated with it. I have both, and would love to get the CD's ... but those albums are nice and special.

Paul Butterfield Blues Band ... also deserve a few ticks

Steve Miller Band ... the first album ... can't find it, but that opening and then going to "Dear Mary" are fantastic, though everyone only remembers ... cheeeeeeeeeeeeseburger!!!!!!!! .....

Capability Brown -- From "Scratch" and "Voice" ... and what a magnificent version of "Liar" that is!

Byzantium -- First album and 2nd (Season's Changing). A bit on the pop side but some really nice and well writen things in both albums, and the long cut on the 2nd album is excellent.

My list would be endless ... btw!!!!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 13:41
^ If you do think of something else, please do write about it. Excellent music shouldn't go noticed by only five people in the history of the globe, I think, ... even if it is a soundtrack to some videogame.

Oh, ... speaking of videogames: the soundtracks by Paul Romero for the games Heroes of Might and Magic III and Heroes of Might and Magic IV are simply majestic, especially the one for the third installment.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 16 2012 at 13:46
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 15:17
Beefheart's "Lick My Decals Off, Baby", the followup to "Trout Mask Replica", has only been in print very briefly for the past 20-odd years.  It might have something to do with the fact that the company licensed to put out the first CD issue (Enigma) went out of business shortly thereafter, but whatever the case, it's been hard to get a hold of considering what a fine album everyone agrees it is.  So it's not really in "oblivion", but it really should be in print.  I've seen vinyl pressings around anyway.

Mosh mentioned the Steve Miller Band..... there are a couple of albums of his that have never been on CD, and they're really quite decent -- "Rock Love" and "Recall the Beginning: A Journey From Eden".... both made in that weird limbo period between his first 5 psychedelic blues albums and his "Joker" radio hit period.  These two albums in the middle are not fantastic, but they're far from terrible, and deserve a bit more credit from Miller himself and his fan base.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 15:25
Most music from about 1927 to 1961.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 15:56
^ No; I mean something that sounds brilliant/awesome to you that may be eventually lost on a medium, and that you might want to share with the whole world.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 16:27
Well, I've already had to fight to the metaphoric bone to find certain material from Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys. I have yet to find the 1950 version of Dark as a Dungeon performed by the Maddox Brothers and Rose. I don't like Merle Travis' original because of the spoken word part in the middle. I'm looking for a version of the Celtic folk song Black is the Colour of My True Love's Hair recorded between 1940 and 1960. I don't like Nina Simone's version because it is live, also because I'm looking for a more traditional folk take on the song. Burl Ives did a version of the song. I was so excited when I saw one of his CDs at Wal-Mart...then I saw it was some damned Christmas music collection.

I almost ended up having to pay hundreds of dollars for the Bear Family (which, thank God for Bear Family in the first place. If it wasn't for that damn german label I would have never been able to explore the full work of Virginia's own Carter Family) Atomic Platters cold war music collection. Luckily a friend was able to help me out.

Once you go back before Bob Dylan came out, it gets progressively harder and harder to find what you're looking for. Sure, you can pick up a neat Chuck Berry compilation practically anywhere, but god forbid you wanna own Tennessee Ernie Ford singin' Merle Travis.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 16:33
Val Stoecklein's Grey Life is one of my favorite non-prog albums. Moody, brooding and somewhat self-pitying, but the lyrics are poignant, his 12-string work is solid, and the orchestral arrangements really enhance the overall mood. It was released on vinyl in 1968 and finally saw a CD reissue just a few years ago, but even that is kind of tough to find.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 16:41

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 17:05
Not necessarily obscure, but...

Comus— The Malgaard Suite

There's a live recording on their new album but it's very bad quality; otherwise, it has never been recorded. I hope the members plan to do something with it, or else the song will slip into oblivion.
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 17:09

''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 18:05
Helmut Koellen-You Won't See Me
    This solo album by the late Triumvirat Singer/Guitar Player was released on vinyl in October, 1977, after he died, and it is my favorite album. The music within is simply beautiful and delightful, but is pretty well under the radar for a lot of people. It was only released in Germany and South America, and is hard as sin to find, having never been re-issued on any format. I try my best to advertise it, but sometimes i feel i am loosing the battle. It should not be obscure!

Jail-You Can Help Me
-German rock band from 1976, releasing one wonderful studio album, which was never properly promoted, and the band was not a touring entity, so it went into obscurity. Such a shame.

Wallenstein-No More Love
-the band's 1977 studio album, not given the push, really. And has never been re-issued in any format. It should be, really, as it is emotionally charged music!

Strange Days-9 Parts To The Wind
-one lone studio album released in 75 by this UK Symphonic Prog band-they were popular, but for a very short time, and then went under the radar. Unjustly obscured, as it is an endearing, very special record.

Edited by presdoug - December 16 2012 at 21:19
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 18:11
Everything by maudlin of the Well; long out of print, occasionally re-released in small quantities by an obscure label but prohibitively expensive.  They have a hardcore fan base, but I'm afraid that some of their albums will go out of print forever.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 20:49
Not an obscure band, but an obscure album never released on CD:

Again, not an obscure artist but AFAIK this has never seen a CD release and is OOP if I recall...

Don't think this ever had a CD release and is so obscure you can't legally buy it in any form:

Magma America Great Make Again
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 21:08
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Everything by maudlin of the Well; long out of print, occasionally re-released in small quantities by an obscure label but prohibitively expensive.  They have a hardcore fan base, but I'm afraid that some of their albums will go out of print forever.
???  This year's Blood Music reissues may have been small quantaties, but they were by no means expensive.  I bought them all!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 06:15
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Beefheart's "Lick My Decals Off, Baby", the followup to "Trout Mask Replica", has only been in print very briefly for the past 20-odd years.  It might have something to do with the fact that the company licensed to put out the first CD issue (Enigma) went out of business shortly thereafter, but whatever the case, it's been hard to get a hold of considering what a fine album everyone agrees it is.  So it's not really in "oblivion", but it really should be in print.  I've seen vinyl pressings around anyway.

Right. It's a shame because it might just be Beefheart's best album.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 11:49
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Once you go back before Bob Dylan came out, it gets progressively harder and harder to find what you're looking for. Sure, you can pick up a neat Chuck Berry compilation practically anywhere, but god forbid you wanna own Tennessee Ernie Ford singin' Merle Travis.

All the more reason for you to watch the Tom Dowd DVD ... it will give another bit or two about this era. And it is such a big factor for the stuff we love!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 12:02
Hi,

(Soap Box Mode= ON) (You've been warned!)

I kinda do not think of these things as "oblivion" like the song on the radio that made it to number 78 in 1967 or whatever. For me, this is a "portrait of the life of the arts at any given day and date" ... not written by James Joyce, but by Pedro Sena.  Again, as I said before, too many of these things are not coincidence, but a result of the things around them ... albeit some folks are clever enough to make it look like ... they created the whole f_____g world! And we should/need to clean that crap out from their fame/star pedestal ... unless that is who/what you worship!

(Soap Box is not demolished for the rest of the post!)

Eroc -- He is Mr. Grobbschnitt and his 3 solo albums are a massive treat. Specially nuts is the 3rd album of his.

Ax Gernreich -- I picked up one of his solo albums, and you can see why Guru Guru was so crazy and off the wall in the early days ... and he was probably the one that wanted to trip out the whole time ... that made it more difficult, and all of a sudden, it seems that Mani was the one saying ... yeah ... but folks have to relate to it, dude!

Bonzo Dog Doodah Band -- We need a comedy section in Progressive Music, and this band should be there. You have to be an absolute idiot, or a master of all notes and chords and music, to do 127 different music styles in a handful of albums. And then have a nut at the forefront that quotes, Shakespeare, Marat-Sade and Elvis in one breadth!

Eric Idle -- Solos ... up to and including the massive "Rutland Times" which is a satire on material done by Johnny Cash, and fun as well!

Robert Ruskin Spear -- His album "Unusual" needs to get out, unless Pete Townsend is trying to hide his falsetto version of that Pinball Wizard, and not let anyone know that they were ripped senseless during that album!

Duncan Browne -- Wild Places and the next album. The sound of these two albums gave Dire Straights their sound a few years later. And the musical work in it is fabulous and then some, despite it being a bit more than pop music ... it is very well composed and performed.

The Harvest Collection from Germany -- Had a couple fo different bands worth looking at:  Tanned Leather, Cherubin and Sweet Smoke ... need to be looked at again. Cherubin had a couple of songs in that album that were fantastic, though you and I would agree that this was more eccentric pop music.

The Japanese Family that gave us the Sadistic Mika Band -- I have one album by Yu Imai -- but know that at least Mr Takanaka had a solo album ... very hard to find apparently, but that whole family of musicians has pretty much ... disappeared, and Mr. JapaneseProg, is more attuned to neo stuff, than the history or previous stuff. FROM where I sit! It's a far cry from stuff by Bondage Fruit, all the way to the Sadistic Mika Band ... is insane ... and has no link whatsoever. The same for YMO family! Did you know that one member had Isao Tomita as his teacher? And the other has an Oscar, and has done over 15 film soundtracks? And also acted in several of the films?

Peter Handke/Wim Wenders/CAN/Skolimowski/Amon Duul 2 -- There is more music, theater and film that is related here. It would be nice to see this connection better, as Peter went on to write some things for Wim. CAN, at least in Holger's interviews, has a way of looking at itself as an entity on its own, and that he/they did not know film or theater or anything else ... and THEATER, is known for using a lot of music and lights in Germany!  Skolimosky's film is the one that had CAN in it, though you never saw the band, and it could just be a recording since the piece sounds the same as the one you heard (Mother Sky). Just like Herzog and Fricke, the connection between the arts is NOT invisible, and a little more here would help understand some of the eccentric and strange and weird things. Specially interesting is that Herzog's first film was for Amon Duul 2 ... or maybe he was just learning film at the time, and AD2 was as good as anything else! It would not surprise me to find that there is more music, more plays, more film and other things that never got finished ... but makes me think that Damo Suzuki, was probably around the theater folks that Peter Handke was on/with ... and doing his plays! ... which were word/letter/number games that never ended ... and learning that as an actor is murder ... think of it as trying to repeat Damo on the stage when he is not singing, but just mouthing sounds and expressions!

Paul Kantner -- Solo albums are great, and one of them gave us a massive song (Have You Seen the Stars Tonite). Sunfighter is also really good and has some nifty things.

Stomu Yamash'ta -- So he became a monk and his music was crap? Or was this just a new age thing that started in the late 60's for him? -- It doesn't make sense, does it?

Ralph Lundsten -- Swedish nut ... I guess he is more known as a classical musician and composer ... but has a lot of very neat and far out things.

Terje Rypdal -- Sadly not discussed much, and stuff he did 40 years ago got copied by Jeff Beck, but no one is going to listen to a stupid (supposedly) jazz guitarist that does weird things ... when you can listen to a big hit'r like Jeff! And Terje has given a lot to smaller rock bands in his country and has at least one mix with a rather metal band, that is magnificent. Get a metal'ist to listen to it ... sure ... next century, maybe!

Egberto Gismonti -- Hard to consider this as something that is not progressive. His total let go and free form forays in the early days were unbelievable ... but not many will hear these fingers play some amazing stuff ... let me go listen to Eric instead!

(more as think of it)

Edited by moshkito - December 17 2012 at 13:40
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 02:32
Maybe it's not a kind of thing I would want to share with the whole world if I could share only one, and maybe it does sound somewhat derivative, but I think that people who really enjoy Jimi Hendrix, much of the German psych-rock scene, and many others who like(d) to makes some noise and some proto-metal on the guitar would really enjoy these guys. But I'm warning you of this: sometimes they are just heavier than Hendrix. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the JPT Scare Band:

I've stumbled into these guys a few years ago and thought they weren't for me. Now that I'm revisiting their album Past Is Prologue, ... . Thumbs Up I don't remember how I've stumbled into them. Just by accident, I believe. Guess they weren't very popular. They recorded some stuff in the 70's, but it wasn't released until the 90's and 00's.

There is also this sickeningly noisy track on the same album (Past is Prologue) called "Titan's Sirens", if anyone is interested (but it's not on YouTube).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 18 2012 at 02:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>