Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2000 A Prog Odyssey (Part I)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Favourite album of these ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [24.00%]
3 [6.00%]
2 [4.00%]
1 [2.00%]
15 [30.00%]
2 [4.00%]
1 [2.00%]
8 [16.00%]
6 [12.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 A Prog Odyssey (Part I)
    Posted: December 18 2012 at 10:52
Top three plus ties to the final. Part II coming up.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:02
A lot of great albums!! I'll take V just over the Seventh House, IMO Spock's best album.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:02
Kid A
This night wounds time.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:06
I've only heard V, and I can't say I was too impressed with that one, so no vote.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 12:57
Lift Your Skinny Fists  :)
Prog On!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:09
Again, this is one of those easy polls for me - not because of lack of quality, no - but there is one album here that I feel have successfully emerged from the grey rubble of the millennium like a shining beacon of modern, timeless, original and breathtaking music. Ulver's Perdition City.
Like no other album in their discog this one leaves me completely awestruck with every spin. It may well be their most electronic sounding album to date, and while that could sway this listener beyond all fairness, it's still the overall impact of this venture that strikes me the most. The serenity and cool of it - some kind of icy ambiance conveyed through a multitude of different musical trades. You feel the asphalt of Scandinavia under your feet listening to this one - feel the nakedness of the trees in the city. It's beautiful and sad all at the same time. 
I love everything about this album. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:46
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

A lot of great albums!! I'll take V just over the Seventh House, IMO Spock's best album.

I agree with you about V being SB's best. For me it's between V and Open Sky although Regarding Purgatories and Fantasma are amazing too.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:50
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Kid A

Bleak and experimental and maybe their best. For me there are a lot of what i'd call interesting albums listed here.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:54
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

I think i originally gave this 5 stars but did drop it to 4 stars only because there is so much music here to digest. Still this has to be one of the best Post-Rock albums ever made. Hey did anyone catch Seth Rogen mentioning them in the movie Pineapple Express ?  

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:56
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Kid A

Bleak and experimental and maybe their best. For me there are a lot of what i'd call interesting albums listed here.

Hmmm I never really 'got' Radiohead, but if we're talking them at their most experimental(and good) - this is my absolute favourite:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 13:57

Kid A

I feel the same way about it.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 14:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Again, this is one of those easy polls for me - not because of lack of quality, no - but there is one album here that I feel have successfully emerged from the grey rubble of the millennium like a shining beacon of modern, timeless, original and breathtaking music. Ulver's Perdition City.
Like no other album in their discog this one leaves me completely awestruck with every spin. It may well be their most electronic sounding album to date, and while that could sway this listener beyond all fairness, it's still the overall impact of this venture that strikes me the most. The serenity and cool of it - some kind of icy ambiance conveyed through a multitude of different musical trades. You feel the asphalt of Scandinavia under your feet listening to this one - feel the nakedness of the trees in the city. It's beautiful and sad all at the same time. 

Another interesting record. Almost like taking a trip through city streets at night. "Music to an Interior Film" is a good way to describe it as the title states. Electronics, sax and piano lead as Garm tells the story. Music for the mind.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 14:05

I think i originally gave this 5 stars but did drop it to 4 stars only because there is so much music here to digest. Still this has to be one of the best Post-Rock albums ever made. Hey did anyone catch Seth Rogen mentioning them in the movie Pineapple Express ?  

YupLOL Love that movie. It's where he's fantasising about his girlfriend moving on to college and getting into all these 'crazy' things and ideas, of which Godspeed is part of... Mjeahhh well maybe he should check out some of the RIO outfits here at PA and really get acquainted with some crazy stuff.
That movie is, while being incredibly out there and unrealistic, still very close to portraying some of the 'real' facets to smoking weed, - or so I've heard....ahem.

Hey John, speaking of Post rock - you should try out some Kammerflimmer Kollektief. They're German and play a Krautrockish version of post rock only with fusion ideas and instruments. Jinx, in particular, is highly recommended, although I'm pretty sure you can find something to your taste elsewhere in their rather big discogWink 

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 14:45

YupLOL Love that movie. It's where he's fantasising about his girlfriend moving on to college and getting into all these 'crazy' things and ideas, of which Godspeed is part of... Mjeahhh well maybe he should check out some of the RIO outfits here at PA and really get acquainted with some crazy stuff.
That movie is, while being incredibly out there and unrealistic, still very close to portraying some of the 'real' facets to smoking weed, - or so I've heard....ahem.

Hey John, speaking of Post rock - you should try out some Kammerflimmer Kollektief. They're German and play a Krautrockish version of post rock only with fusion ideas and instruments. Jinx, in particular, is highly recommended, although I'm pretty sure you can find something to your taste elsewhere in their rather big discogWink 

Hey thanks David i'll check them out. I've never heard of them.Embarrassed

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 14:59
No prob John. I don't think anybody outside of a few 'special' people(notice how I very conveniently include myself in this rather alluring ring of fireBig smile) has ever heard of them actually... 
Oh well -this is surely the place for obscure musical artists eh?

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 15:49
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Kid A

I feel the same way about it.

Their latest The King Of Limbs is fairly experimental too. It's pretty surprising that a band who has had so much commercial success just continues to make the music they like.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 16:31

I own that album, but I haven't listened to it yet. Will soon. Sounds like I'm in for a treat.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 16:43

V is for Victory.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 16:46
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I own that album, but I haven't listened to it yet. Will soon. Sounds like I'm in for a treat.

You are. Just don't expect any overt prog rock tendencies and you'll be fineWink

- Douglas Adams
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 16:59

By far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>