Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yorkshire Prog Festival, Sheffield, UK -March 2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYorkshire Prog Festival, Sheffield, UK -March 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yorkshire Prog Festival, Sheffield, UK -March 2013
    Posted: December 24 2012 at 04:08
Alongside the prog festival already mentioned in nearby Rotherham is the Yorkshire Prog Festival at Corporation in Sheffield, Friday 15th - Sunday 17th March 2013. Tickets are priced at £70 for the weekend, or £20 for Friday, and £35 for Saturday or Sunday day tickets.

The line-up so far includes;
Riverside
The Enid
It Bites
The Tangent
Mangrove
Io Earth
Also Eden
Manning
Credo
Sankara
Jump
Crimson Sky
The Dec Burke Band
Glen Brielle
Awooga
and more to be announced.

I've seen some of these bands, not heard of some of the others. I haven't seen Riverside and so eagerly await my ticket from Father Christmas!

Edited by Bosh66 - December 24 2012 at 04:11
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2012 at 17:48
Yeah going to that one, in fact making a trip from Canada specially to see Riverside. I will also be seeing them in London on the 14th of March.  Riverside for the 15th.   Then RosFest in May.  It's gonna be a Riverside year. 
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 17:35
I wish they had picked a better venue... such as shame with such a great line-up
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 00:14
It seems it will be a great weekend!
So pitty I can't make it... Cry
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 04:28
Yep, some great bands. Friday will be the short day obviously - more of a straightforward gig with Riverside headlining. No idea of the support band though.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 10:51
Support for Riverside (Friday's line-up) are the US Neo-prog band Jolly http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4906 and Polish prog metal outfit Dianoya http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6381 .
anaesthetist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 07:01
I'm hoping to make the Friday at least. It depends on my work pattern
it's in the way that you use it
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 10:19
It's great to see something like this happening in Yorkshire, and if the line-up was a bit more diverse I wouldn't think twice about hopping on a train to Sheffield, but the Neo-centric line-up here just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Incidentally, Sheffield is the home of one of the UK's finest purveyors of complex, unpredictable (yet somehow insanely catchy) music Screaming Maldini. Might be worth considering for next time?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 02:02
Bands here tagged on PA as metal, crossover, symphonic, eclectic etc, but you're right. It is a very neo-line up. Many of these bands are linked to the neo sub-genre. Screaming Maldini? I'll check them out. You ever suggested them for this site?
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 06:40
I've not suggested Screaming Maldini yet, as they've currently only got a handful of EPs and singles out. Their debut is due sometime in Spring 2013 so, depending on how that sounds, I may well suggest them for Crossover.

Reading back my last comment, it comes across a little harsh, so I want to make clear that it wasn't intended to be a mean-spirited in any way. I would dearly love to see an annual prog festival established here in the north, but I guess my personal tastes lean more towards the avant/art/jazz/general oddness end of the prog spectrum. I'm more interested in bands that have the power to surprise me than those that remind me of the giants of old (with the almost sole exception of Anglagard who somehow manage to do both).

The UK has a ton of super-exciting artists working in and around the nebulous notion of "progressive" music at the moment, bands like Thumpermonkey, Knifeworld, Perhaps Contraption, Stars in Battledress, The Display Team, The Fierce and the Dead, William D. Drake, Led Bib, Sanguine Hum, Dutch Uncles, a.P.A.t.T. etc. etc. any combination of which I'd give an unspecified number of limbs to see live.

Ultimately, prog is such a maddeningly diverse term at this point that one person's prog festival is bound to differ wildly from another's. Anyway, good luck to all involved! I sincerely hope its successful enough to continue in future years.

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 10:39
Great post. I've seen TFATD, Knifeworld and aPatt, and know some of Perhaps Contraption and Thumpermonkey; all great bands. Strikes me that they get very few scores on the doors on this site compated to the staples, which is a shame. Trojan Horse are worth a listen too. Their last EP surprised me as it dabbled in electronics which was a bit of a change from their debut.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 14:31
Looks like I can make the Friday and Saturday nights. Just need to book tickets and hotel,which I should be able to do in the next week. May decide to go on the train rather than drive meaning I can drink a little beer and not worry about being too drunk the morning afterBeer
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 16:28
A bit too far north for me to really get to. I've also heard nothing good about the Corporation from anyone that's been there.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:48
^ and I doubt you will Andy Wink
FatOldSun View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 08:25
Just an update on the line up. Andy Tillison couldn't get a live band together in time so he'll be playing a solo set, although I believe he'll be joined by various musician friends of his along the way. Credo have pulled out due to personnel not being available that weekend, and The Dec Burke Band have split up so are not playing. Replacing them are Comedy Of Errors and Knifeworld, who both put on an excellent performances at Summer's End 2012.

Paul
FatOldSun View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 13:41
And another major update - the festival has been reduced to Friday evening only. Not sure why Saturday and Sunday have been cancelled but I'm guessing that HRH being so close in both time and area have something to do with it. It's a shame as this was announced a long time ago and the line-up was pretty good.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 06:39
Originally posted by FatOldSun FatOldSun wrote:

And another major update - the festival has been reduced to Friday evening only. Not sure why Saturday and Sunday have been cancelled but I'm guessing that HRH being so close in both time and area have something to do with it. It's a shame as this was announced a long time ago and the line-up was pretty good.

Any idea what they're doing about tickets sold for the Saturday and Sunday?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 07:31
So is the Friday line up still the same or have Saturday or sunday bands moved to Friday?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
FatOldSun View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:56
Friday line-up is still the same, i.e. Dianaya, Jolly and Riverside. Kris is also looking into some bands hiring the venue as private hire rather than as part of the festival, so there may still be bands playing on the Saturday. You have to contact the people you bought the ticket from to get a refund, but I'll probably wait a few days until more becomes clear.

I'm only speculating but I think HRH prog festival is partly or even mainly to blame for the cancellation. It may just be that punters chose one over the other, or it could be that there's some clause in the bands' agreement with HRH saying they're not allowed to play any other festivals within a certain amount of time around the HRH Prog festival.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 17:32
And it had to happen - Friday night cancelled due to "band illness" according to the ticket office. Accommodation written off and a wasted round trip. Tickets refunded but would rather have seen the gig, obviously!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>