Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLifesigns - 'Lifesigns': Symphonic Prog (2013)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifesigns - 'Lifesigns': Symphonic Prog (2013)
    Posted: December 27 2012 at 07:23
Yes, 2013 - January 28th 2013, to be precise.

Of course, I shouldn't really be posting this here until the album is actually released, and if I had my way I would put this in 'Prog News, Press Releases' forum...but Lifesigns aren't on the site as yet, so admin would simply move the post to 'Get The Word Out' forum...and you might as well put your message on a post-it note on the marker post at the North Pole tbf. LOL

Anyway...Lifesigns - 'Lifesigns': (I've suggested Crossover Prog in the topic heading, but this might be a decent fit for Neo based on the samples in the trailer below...We'd have to listen to the completed album of course to know for sure.)

THE STUNNING NEW STUDIO ALBUM FROM THE BAND LIFESIGNS (WITH JOHN YOUNG, NICK BEGGS & FROSTY BEEDLE) ON FRONTLINE LABEL ESOTERIC ANTENNA

FEATURING GUESTS STEVE HACKETT, THIJS VAN LEER (FOCUS), JAKKO JAKSZYK (KING CRIMSON) & ROBIN BOULT.

Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the latest release on new front-line label, ESOTERIC ANTENNA, dedicated to new releases by both new acts and established artists.
LIFESIGNS is the band’s highly anticipated self-titled debut album, a project that has the hallmarks of being one of the finest new Progressive Rock albums of 2013. Featuring JOHN YOUNG (keyboards, lead vocals), NICK BEGGS (bass, stick and backing vocals) and FROSTY BEEDLE (drums), the material reflects the excellence of the musicians who perform on the album. This impressive line-up is augmented by guest appearances from such respected figures in Progressive music as STEVE HACKETT, THIJS VAN LEER (Focus), JAKKO JAKSZYK (King Crimson) and ROBIN BOULT (John Young Band).

Working with engineer STEVE RISPIN, LIFESIGNS is a tuneful, innovative and hugely impressive debut album certain to appeal to those who appreciate the finer aspects of modern Progressive Rock.

Lifesigns

Release Date: 28/1/2013

Lifesigns

1. LIGHTHOUSE
2. TELEPHONE
3. FRIDGE FULL OF STARS
4. AT THE END OF THE WORLD
5. CAROUSEL

Album trailer:

So, I've 'got the word out', everyone has a chance to get their hands on what promies to be a cracking CD, and addition of the band to the site should be a breeze when the album hits the streets in about a month's time. Embarrassed

Thumbs Up

Edit: Topic title ammended to 'Symphonic Prog' from Crossover after hearing a full track sample.

Edited by yam yam - January 20 2013 at 14:33
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 13:49

Alison Henderson (DPRP) has just written this account of the story of Lifesigns: http://alisonscolumn.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/lifesigns-the-story-behind-the-story/ The album release is just over a week away now.

Good times!  Tongue
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 14:22
I'm not sure about crossover.
It reminds me in many places of Echolyn.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 18:14
Indeed - we need to hear the complete album to be able to be sure where best to send it for eval. I did mention in the o.p.that it might be a decent fit for Neo based on these brief samples, but Symphonic may well be even better. All will be revealed when the album lands a week on Monday - I'll amend the topic title to reflect whatever seems to be most appropriate (I have the CD on order). Tongue

Have now heard most of the track: 'Carousel' (see vid in post below), and edited the topic title to 'Symphonic Prog' Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - January 20 2013 at 14:35
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 14:29
Another longer sample:

Definitely more complex than Crossover Prog!!

Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2013 at 16:38
Interview by Alison Henderson with the members of Lifesigns at dprp.net: http://www.dprp.net/wp/interviews/?page_id=4145 Thumbs Up
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 23:57
Too complex for Crossover but to Aorish for Symphonic, most likely NEO.

If my teammates decide it's OK, I will support them.

BUT WE NEED THE WHOLE ALBUM FIRST

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 23 2013 at 23:58

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 03:33
I will get some samples to you Iván as soon as I have the album. This track 'Carousel' reminds me a lot of Aussie band Unitopia - even down to the sound of the vocals...and lo and behold we have them in Crossover. Shocked Doesn't help mere mortals like myself to understand prog sub genres any better either when the last line of Unitopia's bio reads "A promising new entrant into the "retro" scene which should turn the heads of those interested in hearing more modern symphonic prog with various influences"  Confused

Ah well, as long as we find Lifesigns a home here somewhere, I'll be happy. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 16:48
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Doesn't help mere mortals like myself to understand prog sub genres any better either when the last line of Unitopia's bio reads "A promising new entrant into the "retro" scene which should turn the heads of those interested in hearing more modern symphonic prog with various influences"  Confused

That's the problem

This phrase says nothing and leads to confusion

Retro scene? What's that?

Modern Symphonic Prog with various influences? Sice when is Modern Symphonic Retro Prog? 

Even worst, because this band was never suggested to Symphonic, they were suggested as Eclectic or Prog Related

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

An Australian 'Prog' Band, just signed to Inside Out Records, and have a new 2 CD concept album 'The Garden' out.  Styled Prog/ Classical/ Classic Rock, I'd possibly best compare them to ACT, Alan Parsons Project & Kayak....

check them out:

it's quite catchy.....EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

They were almost sent to Prog Related, and still somebody makes a bio creating confusion.

And still some people don't believe that some bands were added to Symphonic just because it's wrongly seen by many as the Prog Rock elite

Sounds like somebody who wanted them in Symphonic and disappointed because they are in Crossover

You are right Yam Yam, that bio should be changed.

Really misleading

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 25 2013 at 16:58

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 10:48
Listened carefully to the tracks of the album, and this is my opinion from the Symphonic thread:.

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

1. Lighthouse: Proggy and extremely AORISH, sounds like Paul Carrack in "Mike & the Mechanics" or "Roxy Music" but a bit lighter, some nice keyboard and flute passages and atmospheric guitar, but too light  for Eclactic.
  2. Telephone: This is AOR - POP - PROGGY, the drums sound like synthesysed and the music uis very popiah, too light even for Crossover.
  3. Fridge Full of Stars: After a darker intro and some excellent guitar passages, sounds like a Proggy ballad..Crossover...God, the vocals pull them towards mainstream
  4. At the End of the World: Except for the excellent guitar, piano and keyboards section between 5:00 and 7:45, nothing really too impressive
  5. Carousel: Great bass,m some nice synths and Mellotron, the closest they get too pure Prog the flute and piano is brilliant, again the vocals pull towards mainstream, but very elaborate passages, thanks God that the drums are good.
Conclusion: In my humble opinion, no way to add them to Symphonic, except for Carousel which fits perfectly in Eclecticm, the rest is between Crossover, Related and AOR.

I believe their only chance is Crossover.

Good material, but no way we can add it.

Again if my teammates disagree, I'll think it again.

Iván 

Sorry, I don't see them in Symphonic

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 30 2013 at 10:49

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 16:50
listening to Lifesigns - very Neo in vocals but have Yes like musicianship in places so confusing as to genre.
Crosses over genres for majority...

Neo or Crossover should check them out as its closer to that style.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 30 2013 at 16:52
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 18:48
With two votes against, I can say that the band has not been accepted in Symphonic.

Iván

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 19:16
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Too complex for Crossover but to Aorish for Symphonic, most likely NEO.

If my teammates decide it's OK, I will support them.

BUT WE NEED THE WHOLE ALBUM FIRST

Iván

Sorry to jump in, buuuut.

I kind of agree with Ivan here.  I gave a  listen to the sampler and "Carousul" and would give it a yes in Neo.  Ivan says it best, too complex for Crossover.  It has a lot of the more modern sounding instrumentation that is associated with Neo.  Also, someone said this earlier but the vocals lack some of the more dramatic tone of symphonic but have the nineties 'songs from the heart' feel to them.

As I said, I haven't heard the entire album, but from what I've heard, I'm good with Neo.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 23:32
^ And added in Neo chart, with my thumbs-up. Surely they'll get cleared in Neo Team soon.
http://progfreak.com/Lifesigns-155385.html?path=pa/neo
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 08:14
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

^ And added in Neo chart, with my thumbs-up. Surely they'll get cleared in Neo Team soon.
http://progfreak.com/Lifesigns-155385.html?path=pa/neo

. . . and with a second vote, we should be good to go.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 04:15
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

listening to Lifesigns - very Neo in vocals but have Yes like musicianship in places so confusing as to genre.
Crosses over genres for majority...

Neo or Crossover should check them out as its closer to that style.

It does indeed have a flavour of Yes, but it is the Yes of Open You Eyes or even more similar to Billy Sherwood's projects Conspiracy (featuring Chris Squire) and Circa.

Me too I say NO to Lifesigns for Symphonic. I think Crossover would be the best place for them.

I like the music!

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 04:23
^ Cleared in Neo. Wink
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 09:01
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Anyway...Lifesigns - 'Lifesigns': (I've suggested Crossover Prog in the topic heading, but this might be a decent fit for Neo based on the samples in the trailer below...We'd have to listen to the completed album of course to know for sure.)

Edit: Topic title ammended to 'Symphonic Prog' from Crossover after hearing a full track sample.

LOL! Thanks to everyone for their input on this suggestion!

I guess I should have stuck to my original gut instinct on this, but was so convinced that this might be a Symphonic Prog album after hearing the wonderful closing track 'Carousel', that I changed the topic title. Embarrassed

Anyways, the good thing is that they are cleared in Neo, and will soon be on the site. Thumbs Up

Apologies to anyone who might not have been too impressed by my inferring in this (or the other thread in Prog Recommendations/Featured albums forum) that this would be a good candidate for Symphonic Prog. Maybe this will teach me not to make premature assumptions based on just one track!! Ouch
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 13:04
Are they on the site yet - I love their new album and want to review it ASAP!!
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 13:46
^ I guess the question may be rhetorical but just in case it isn't - cleared for addition in Neo. Please be patient, i'm sure it won't be too long now. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>