Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow is Prog received where you live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 12:30
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Hi, I'm from Mississippi. Most of the people I have contact with are pretty open-minded, even if they aren't very knowledgable. Many of my friends listen to pop artists. Every folk/folk-rock band reminds them of Mumford and Sons, and any electronic element is perceived as dubstep influence. I don't necessarily fault them with this, though. Most of them are just starting to appreciate music in a new way, and I say that's good for them, as long as they're not arrogant about it. On the other hand, most musicians here know about prog. Every time I go to a record exchange at the local record store, I find lots of prog in people's collections. My former guitar teacher is a big prog fan. Most music fans period down here period dabble in some prog. Even those who aren't into prog are willing to give it an honest listen.
Lucky-y-y. Shocked
Maybe. Most prog isn't popular because of the way it's marketed, so to make it popular among your friends, you have to market it well. I find that many times, if I just ignore the label "prog" and tell one of my friends of a band they might like, they'll be more willing to listen to it. If I don't hype the band up too much, and avoid superlatives, they're less likely to be skeptical about it. I usually acknowledge that they may or may not like it; they're usually pretty eager to listen to it. Telling them the bands that are influenced by this particular band helps too. Wink

You've figured out a lot of it. I will be making another post on the state of prog; I've been promoting my album several hours a day every day since October and I've learnt a lot. Some of it surprising, some not. Anyway, you've got part of it figured out.

A-J
Humouring Gods; Where Classic Meets Rock

http://www.ajcharronmusic.com
<a href="http://[email protected]"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 12:52
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

In Hawaii ? Are you kidding ? Hula Prog ? Reggae Prog? Ukelele Prog ? 

You know, I would love to hear that.  I have recently dabbled in ukelele after decades of guitar and find it quite a versatile instrument.  If Jake Shimabukuro can do the things he does on a uke so can others do similar things with similar training.  It is a matter of taking the instrument seriously, and there is a big uke movement worldwide these days.  I myself have what I call a uketar - a six string ukelele the manufacturer calls a guitarlele.  I like my name better.

As to how Prog is received where I live, it is a mixed bag.  Sacramento is mostly a metal and pop town, but the occasional Prog(ish) band comes by.  I did see Ozric Tentacles play here, along with about 15 other people, and prog-metal bands like Mastodon have played recently.  I think most of them stop here on their way to or from San Francisco.  There are a couple of independent record stores that provide some Prog selections, but not much.  The owner of one of them is even a big Prog fan and has a separate section, but it is very small.  The S.F. bay area is not too far away though, and that region is much more open to Prog even though all my musician friends who live there are not too keen on Prog.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 13:06
Riots in the streets.  Tongue

Atlanta actually gets fair amount of prog artists.  I got to see Gentle Giant on their final tour.  I'm not sure what brought them here as they skipped us on the Playing The Fool tour.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 15:57
I live in San Diego and this post is for here and in LA.  Like everywhere else, prog is non-existent on the airwaves (except Holland I would guess. Gotta love the Dutch!)  Thank God for Papa J who runs Cal Prog and gets us some top-notch shows in LA.  I have seen Neal Morse at his last 3 LA shows and the crowds seem to be getting larger and more knowledgable about his music.  Enthusiasm is at an all-time high!   So I think it is definitely going in the right direction.  But in general, I am usually a little disappointed in the crowd sizes at most prog concerts I attend, considering there are 22 million inhabitants in SoCal. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 16:00
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Riots in the streets.  Tongue

Atlanta actually gets fair amount of prog artists.  I got to see Gentle Giant on their final tour.  I'm not sure what brought them here as they skipped us on the Playing The Fool tour.
Did you see Umphrey's McGee played Atlanta 4 straight days last week?  I would have expected to hear that you were in attendance. Big smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 16:03
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Prog is generally ignored in Portugal, both in the form of media attention (radio, tv, written press) and presence in record stores. Ironically, the country hosts what is probably the greatest annual Prog festival in Europe, Gouveia Art Rock. 
I remember hearing that my favorite prog band, Germany's Triumvirat, went to No. 1 in terms of album sales in Portugal, but that was in 1976, a heckuva long time ago.

Edited by presdoug - January 02 2013 at 17:35
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 16:23

Edited by presdoug - February 10 2013 at 09:55
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 17:00
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

In my current country Belgium I don't know any Prog fan personally, but then I do not know many people here. A few big bands still include Brussels in their tour calendar (Yes, DT...) but not many. There's a small venue organising relatively frequent prog concerts for small bands (The Spirit of 66) but unfortunately it's quite far from where I live. I have met and chatted with a couple of Prog fans there but not got into an actual friendship, it's too far.

Neighboring Holland has more Prog scene but it's also not that close for going frequently. 
Belgium!! Belgium!! The home of Univers Zero, Present, Aranis, Julverne, DAAU. You have the Prog-Resiste Festival featuring Madelgaire, Kotobel, Locanda Delle Fate, Anglagard, Morphelia, Aranis, Special Providence, Forgas Band Phenomena. I'd love to live in Belgium!!

Originally posted by Astral Traveller Astral Traveller wrote:

Here in CT we get every Rush, Yes, Tull, Waters,Musical Box and even Hackett tour. In Farfield County where I live, the Musical Box played a show at the Ridgefield Playhouse, which was an amazing show. Rush came in October, and Yes is stopping by in April.

I live in SW CT for 10 years and it was great for music, primarily as I was a train ride away from NYC and pretty much everyone tours through there.

I currently live in Cincinnati, it sucks ass here.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - January 02 2013 at 17:04
Inquietação View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 17:16
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Prog is generally ignored in Portugal, both in the form of media attention (radio, tv, written press) and presence in record stores. Ironically, the country hosts what is probably the greatest annual Prog festival in Europe, Gouveia Art Rock. 

As a fellow lusophone, I have to say that I know very few portuguese prog rock acts, though those I know are outstanding. It surprises me that Portugal doesn't give it a better treatment, but I have to say that I don't really think prog has the treatment it deserves anywhere in the world.

Anyway, Brazil's prog community (at least where I live) is, in a way, very narrow minded and somehow conservative. People listen to one kind of sound, and don't view those who don't have same opinion as an opportunity to learn and expand their tastes. This results in bands having, most times, a not challenging approach to music, never trying to give a new direction to their genres. Media mostly ignores it too, so things develop in quite an underground manner.
Enfim, que resta ao fim, senão a inquietação e a mim.
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 17:23
Originally posted by kjprogger kjprogger wrote:

I live in San Diego and this post is for here and in LA.  Like everywhere else, prog is non-existent on the airwaves (except Holland I would guess. Gotta love the Dutch!)  Thank God for Papa J who runs Cal Prog and gets us some top-notch shows in LA.  I have seen Neal Morse at his last 3 LA shows and the crowds seem to be getting larger and more knowledgable about his music.  Enthusiasm is at an all-time high!   So I think it is definitely going in the right direction.  But in general, I am usually a little disappointed in the crowd sizes at most prog concerts I attend, considering there are 22 million inhabitants in SoCal. 
you are right here in LA i saw alot of concerts in small clubs no too much crowd it { i saw planet x at the baked potatoe and before the show i counted the audiens and it was a little 
more of 40 people  LOL,anyways they put a great show}  
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 17:50
via the ears.  Wink

how do they do it where you're from?  Confused
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 20:13
Not much interest here in San Diego CA. We get the occasional show, but that's it. Not many prog bands in town either, at least to my knowledge.
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 03:27
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

[QUOTE=JesusisLord] In Hawaii ? Are you kidding ? Hula Prog ? Reggae Prog? Ukelele Prog ? 

You know, I would love to hear that.  I have recently dabbled in ukelele after decades of guitar and find it quite a versatile instrument.  If Jake Shimabukuro can do the things he does on a uke so can others do similar things with similar training.  It is a matter of taking the instrument seriously..........

Problem is i can't take the Uke seriously..... Jake is talented but when I hear the Uke it will always sound like 
a toy guitar to me
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 06:50
Prog is not received where I live. At all.
ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 09:00
Since finding this site from a Persephone's Dream CD a bit over a year ago, I feel like I've rediscovered music heaven. I listen to Prog and nothing else anymore (and I played in a progressive metal band back in the 80's and 90's--local, not major). Most people I discuss music with don't know how much prog is out there--they know the big names, but nothing more. I tell everyone to check this place out as much as possible. Hell, one can get lost with the amount of stuff to listen to. 

I lean more towards the Italian era. My favorite hands down is Banco del Mutuo Soccorso. 
RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 09:28
Denver's prog scene isn't too big. However, Dream Theater has stopped here like once or twice opening for Iron Maiden, and Roger Waters played two shows at the Pepsi Center (one of which I saw, and was just mindblowing). A PF tribute band called Brit Floyd was at Red Rocks in September, and put on a very good show. Rush has stopped at Red Rocks a few times as well. 
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
Dreaminginreallife View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 10:10
I'm also from St. Louis and I play in a progressive rock band in the suburbs. I am only 15 though, but I've gotten tons of my friends into progressive music. We all went to see rush in September, and we saw yes last time they came too. I also know a member of a progressive music appreciation society who lives in St. Louis. I think there is hope yet for my generation to keep prog alive(:
Manuelmoreno View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 10:47
Here in Barranquilla, Colombia, prog just doesn't exists. Roger Waters, Metallica, Iron Maiden, they came to Bogotá, but here in the caribbean coast... forget it.

I am lucky to have a small circle of friends interested in prog, but that´s all. Once in a year maybe they put Another Brick In The Wall in a local bar; this is a sterile land for prog.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 11:25
I've been living steadily in Oklahoma for the last 5-6 years. I've gone through the standard explanation of what progressive rock is, as probably each of us has. I know one person who remembers and liked Jethro Tull, but is not really a Prog fan beyond that. I don't know any Prog fans here. There no Prog bands that come here. None that I know of that come from here.
Loren View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 12:07
I'm actually surprised how much of a following there is here In Fort Wayne Indiana. The average Joe most likely knows nothing of it, but if you go into any of the handful of record stores around here, everyone is into it. On top of that There is a place called Sweetwater Sounds, which is one of the bigger distributors of instruments and recording equipment in the united states. I've been there many times, and everyone who works there is really into prog too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>