Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow is Prog received where you live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DanthraX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 09:17
Originally posted by dawbakhos dawbakhos wrote:

Oh, I'm from Venezuela. And no, I don't know any other prog fan more that some Twitter people and the people from this forum. Art is dead here. :-/

I'm from Venezuela too, besides a couple of friends who like some bands (specially DT and PF) I'm the only one I know who is really a prog lover (almost addicted to it). Luckily I have a girlfriend who is really open minded with music (she had a nice rock background) and now loves almost all bands I do. 

On the other hand, here is all about salsa, merengue, reggeaton, etc, so prog is kind of an underground thing. Despite this, I've been able to assist to some excellent concerts: Peter Gabriel, Marillion x2, Yes, Asia, Dream Theater x3, Uriah Heep and of course Steven Wilson, best concert so far, incredible!
I look up, I'm almost blinded

by the warmth of what's inside me

and the taste that's in my soul,

but I'm dead inside as I stand alone...
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 09:03
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

In my current country Belgium I don't know any Prog fan personally, but then I do not know many people here. A few big bands still include Brussels in their tour calendar (Yes, DT...) but not many. There's a small venue organising relatively frequent prog concerts for small bands (The Spirit of 66) but unfortunately it's quite far from where I live. I have met and chatted with a couple of Prog fans there but not got into an actual friendship, it's too far.

Neighboring Holland has more Prog scene but it's also not that close for going frequently. 

Well, the same goes for me.
When I still lived in the Netherlands (in Utrecht) I visited many prog concerts with my Dutch prog friends, especially in De Boerderij. Spirit of 66 is too far for me as well.
Here in the countryside of East Flanders, prog seems to be virtually non-existent.
Astral Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 06:50
Here in CT we get every Rush, Yes, Tull, Waters,Musical Box and even Hackett tour. In Farfield County where I live, the Musical Box played a show at the Ridgefield Playhouse, which was an amazing show. Rush came in October, and Yes is stopping by in April.

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 03:54
I like it, my wife likes some, my daughter knows the words to wish you were here, the cats seem non-plussed about it.
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 03:31
In my current country Belgium I don't know any Prog fan personally, but then I do not know many people here. A few big bands still include Brussels in their tour calendar (Yes, DT...) but not many. There's a small venue organising relatively frequent prog concerts for small bands (The Spirit of 66) but unfortunately it's quite far from where I live. I have met and chatted with a couple of Prog fans there but not got into an actual friendship, it's too far.

Neighboring Holland has more Prog scene but it's also not that close for going frequently. 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 03:11
^ Seriously? Big smile LOL 
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Hi, I'm from Mississippi. Most of the people I have contact with are pretty open-minded, even if they aren't very knowledgable. Many of my friends listen to pop artists. Every folk/folk-rock band reminds them of Mumford and Sons, and any electronic element is perceived as dubstep influence. I don't necessarily fault them with this, though. Most of them are just starting to appreciate music in a new way, and I say that's good for them, as long as they're not arrogant about it. On the other hand, most musicians here know about prog. Every time I go to a record exchange at the local record store, I find lots of prog in people's collections. My former guitar teacher is a big prog fan. Most music fans period down here period dabble in some prog. Even those who aren't into prog are willing to give it an honest listen.
Lucky-y-y. Shocked
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 02:45
 In Hawaii ? Are you kidding ? Hula Prog ? Reggae Prog? Ukelele Prog ? 

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 00:11
Hi, I'm from Mississippi. Most of the people I have contact with are pretty open-minded, even if they aren't very knowledgable. Many of my friends listen to pop artists. Every folk/folk-rock band reminds them of Mumford and Sons, and any electronic element is perceived as dubstep influence. I don't necessarily fault them with this, though. Most of them are just starting to appreciate music in a new way, and I say that's good for them, as long as they're not arrogant about it. On the other hand, most musicians here know about prog. Every time I go to a record exchange at the local record store, I find lots of prog in people's collections. My former guitar teacher is a big prog fan. Most music fans period down here period dabble in some prog. Even those who aren't into prog are willing to give it an honest listen.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2013 at 00:00
Where I live there is no prog ... except probably in my apartment ... and Best Buy ... and probably Wal-Mart. A few songs by Yes and Rush, one by Tull ("Locomotive Breath"), and a s$%tload songs by PF get airplay. I know Tool came over here a few times. How were any of these things received, I don't know. All I know is that prog annoys the living hell out of my mother.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 02 2013 at 00:04
dawbakhos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 23:32
Oh, I'm from Venezuela. And no, I don't know any other prog fan more that some Twitter people and the people from this forum. Art is dead here. :-/
progger7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 23:30
and also, many people here think I'm strange just because of my music taste. even my own sister. =/
progger7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 23:30
I live in Miami so it's practically a barren wasteland here. barely any bands come down here because over here it's all about overly commercialized music like pitbull and reggaeton and if there are people that are into rock or metal, they usually like bands like metallica or linkin park... I can count on my hand the amount of friends I know that are into prog but only one of them like it as much as i do that we make the effort to take 4 hour drives upstate to Orlando or Tampa because that's as far as most prog bands will come down to here in Florida. rarely do they ever come to Miami. Only a hand few of bands that I love have come down to miami once and that was for prognation when Opeth and Dream theater were headlining and another time, Porcupine tree came which was a real treat because the day before we had driven to Orlando to see them so we saw porcupine tree back to back one weekend. totally worth the sleeplessness. lol Deftones are coming this march as well but they're even more popular so it doesn't surprise me.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 23:27
world's biggest proghead and soon-to-be world's most influential prog musician both live in my area, my house actually. Other than that, it's a dead scene.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 23:19
I think pretty much everywhere in the world "prog" would be a predominantly urban pastime.  

Where we live, at the local flea markets and second-hand record stores you will find a generous supply of the pre-Buggles Yes, early Tull, ELP, most of Genesis, pos-Barrett Pink Floyd, and plenty of US fusion records. But looking for the likes of Ozric Tentacles, Pendragon, Magma or Porcupine Tree would not be terribly productive. Does it give an indication of the prevalent tastes?

I don't know if this is indicative of anything, but Steven Wilson is scheduled to be playing with his "traveling band" in Washington, DC in April in the Howard Theater, which holds 1,200 persons. Not yer arena rock venue.    

Edited by Argonaught - January 01 2013 at 23:20
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 23:02
Here in St. Louis, we're probably pretty average for our reception of prog; we get our every-tour Rush show, and the media is pretty indifferent, as usual.  In local music, the blues and jazz scene is more prominent here.

Most of my friends dismiss or dislike progressive music, but there are a few musically open-minded ones who appreciate some prog.  I don't know any other real progressive rock fans, though, outside of this forum.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
A-JCharron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 22:42
Hi everyone!

First off, I'm in Montreal, so I know the North American prog scene well enough. For example, in Montreal, Prog does not go over very well. We get the occasional show (recent years, Greg Lake, Steve Hackett, Saga and a couple more), plus a small prog festival which started a few years ago, but not much else. No media coverage either. There are almost 3 million people, so obviously a few fans here and there, but as much as Montreal used to be a huge prog town in the 70's, prog is not well seen anymore. Didn't stop me from releasing an album, but then again, nobody around here is interested in covering it in any way.

I was wondering how the prog scene is doing elsewhere in the world? Can you tell, where you live, does it get any coverage at all from the media? Do you get a lot of shows? I'm really interested in learning as much as possible.

Thanks for your replies; I do appreciate them!

A-J
Humouring Gods; Where Classic Meets Rock

http://www.ajcharronmusic.com
<a href="http://[email protected]"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567