Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow is Prog received where you live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 12:06
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

some time ago we had the pROCKclub and pROCKfest here in East-Westphalia, I could enjoy many bands playing nearby my hometown - unfortunately though it was a financial desaster for the organizer in the end and he had to quit  Unhappy

Yeah that's just sad. So many brilliant ideas, gatherings and venues we all could use, but when people then neglect to support them - the overall chance of something illustrious happening on the prog rock calendar nearby you, is damn near impossibleUnhappy
We've seen something similar in Denmark too, just with progressive metal shows.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hightea View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 09:18

Well living close to NYC you can see plenty of prog shows. Then again anyone who tours america comes thru NYC.

The big thing is can you get people to call it prog. Sure their are the true obvious prog acts that play to a big enough fan base that they can get a full audience but for the most part bands today label them self as anything but prog.

Last year Roger Waters was the fouth highest grossing performer. However, ask the people that went to the show if they just saw a prog act and the answer is no.

Secondly, look at all the modern bands that are popular in many circles and in my eyes are influenced or should be considered at least partially prog. I understand that they have many other influences too but the fact that all these bands ignore the fact that a piece of the puzzle is prog is well puzzling.

Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Muse, GYBE, Spiritualized, The Decemberists etc. but you will never have any of them state or classify themself as prog or they will alienate their fan base. If you ask them influences they will stick the classic rock label on it over prog. When I look at the current indie scene I see tons of bands that have been influenced by prog (or 2nd generation influence(band that influenced them was influenced by prog) or back in the day could have been classified as prog but absolutely would never want to be classified that way. I got into a deep arguement with a writer for a popular mag about how the prog label is and always has been thrown under the bus. Everyone loves to state Velvet Underground (john Cale and Eno), Brian Eno, Roxy Music, Queen, Pink Floyd as influences today heck now I see Robert Wyatt's name mentioned but no none of them are influenced by prog?

He is part of the reason:
Dominic Howard (of Muse) has said: "I associate it [progressive rock] with 10-minute guitar solos, but I guess we kind of come into the category. No Dominic prog isn't about 10 minute solos that can associated with classic rock not prog.
Once again prog is mislabeled.

Edited by hightea - January 07 2013 at 09:25
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 11:38
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Riots in the streets.  Tongue

Atlanta actually gets fair amount of prog artists.  I got to see Gentle Giant on their final tour.  I'm not sure what brought them here as they skipped us on the Playing The Fool tour.
Did you see Umphrey's McGee played Atlanta 4 straight days last week?  I would have expected to hear that you were in attendance. Big smile

I would have loved to go but finances prohibited.  We also had The Musical Box doing The Lamb.  I did drop in the Atlanta Jazz Festival to see this guy last year:

http://www.nadavremez.com/

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 12:05
i live in a small town in oxfordshire,.......witney.
i dont hardly know anyone in my town who enjoys what i listen too.....yeah you got a bit of an alterntive crowd( whi think they know what alternative is).....then i chip in with a few bands i like and they have no clue what i'm on about....so i'm a bit of a lone prog fan here.
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 16:44
You are from Montreal, so am I (in a suburb). There are, yes occasional interesting shows. But don't say that there aren't new fans of prog. I started to get interest in prog really when I was 12.
But I am the only one in my class (with another one who loves Rush but dosen't know other prog artists) that is really interested in prog. So it's exactly your description.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Knots View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 17:37
Dallas, Texas is about as far as possible stylistically from a city that would appreciate prog...The Musical Box, a Genesis tribute band came through about a year ago and attracted a small, but devoted crowd. However, prog based acts rarely visit and, if they do, are generally in the smaller venues. I'm glad I didn't grow up here or I may have never been exposed. Luckily, I grew up on the Jersey coast outside of NYC !
ProgressiveMike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 18:43
Hello, I'm Mike from Colorado Springs, Colorado. I work at a record store so I have extensive time and resources to research and listen to music, as well as talk to people about what they like and listen to. No one here comes in looking for prog rock. Well that's not true, I come in looking for prog rock but seldom do I find it. You might get lucky and find the occassional Porcupine Tree on the shelf (since K-scope has been re-releasing much of their catalogue of late) and other than that all we have is what I bring in. For instance when I purchased the Rush sector boxed sets I brought in my Rush Mercury era albums to trade (all fifteen have sat on the shelves since then). Very, very rarely someone will buy or talk about prog, and even more rare is finding someone who will sell us prog. Mostly older men, one such who showed me Nekter, another such that showed me Gentle Giant. But in general people here listen to complete crap. I don't mean to offend anyone on such a positive website and forum but the gutteral sound is too much for me. In Prog Magazine when they listed their top 50 prog albums of all time I actually threw in Opeth and was very pleasantly surprised. For about 86 seconds before they album went to complete trash, in my opinion. So to say that the prog scene here is next to non-existant is an overstatement only because the stylings of Mastadon, Tool, and Opeth do not suit me. I've noticed though that alot of who is and who isn't considered a prog band has to do with the band itself admiting or denying any prog related allegations. For instance the Mars Volta (who are very much a prog band) don't generally go around screaming about how prog they are whereas a band like Mastadon is constantly reitterating their musical identity. My next experiment will be the Flower Kings and I hope they sound nothing like Opeth for my sake. I'm thinking about starting a prog club since there seems to be none around here where we can listen to and discuss progressive rock over a couple of drinks. I know there have to be people how ever they may try to hide, that appreciate music that I appreciate, and don't listen to Carly Rae Jepsen or In This Moment or Yellow Wolf or any of these other bands that have been a product of a dying industry and popularized on the internet.
lmaorofllollmao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 20:33
i live in freaking albuquerque...i guess you could say that its the biggest craphole that just happens to be a large city. seriously, if a prog band even dared to come here, they'd loose their tires from our pothole covered roads.
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 21:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

In our small Hampshire town this is one of the local brews:

There is a nearby pub I frequent that features only American craft brews.  I'll have to see if the owner is a Pink Floyd fan and whether he can get some of this stuff.  I would love to try it and see how many people I can get to sing songs about Vera Lynn!
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 22:09
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I'm not very fond of Uke as a main instrument but it can be nice to add some nuances here and there, as Brian May did in some Queen songs.
I believe that he had an electrified one, I have some video somewhere where he played it live for a few bars, I think it was on Bring Back That Leroy Brown, from around '74.
Correction, it was a miked acoustic Uke-banjo

Very cool!  I had to watch the next clip (Death on Two Legs).  I agree that it can add nuances, and even new dimensions to music.  Making it a main instrument would definitely be an uphill task, aside from established uke music.  Perhaps I am the visionary on this one, or the fool.  It is difficult to tell sometimes.  Check out the Penguin Cafe Orchestra if you can find any sound or video clips - they use ukes, along with a lot of other acoustic instruments.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 22:54
Not good at all I live in an area where its all modern music from the radioDisapprove
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 02:43
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Check out the Penguin Cafe Orchestra if you can find any sound or video clips - they use ukes, along with a lot of other acoustic instruments.
I saw them live many years ago, late 80's or early 90's, great concert!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 10:25
I tend to believe that Progressive rock is in a poor state in most of the countries where it could develop.

In France, it's hard to say: it's true that we have a handful of festivals that work for 10 years or more, but it doesn't attract a huge following. As an example, the Hellfest festival attracts more people than the Crescendo festival or Prog Sud.

Here, in Paris, I don't see a lot of young progressive bands touring (maybe, some progressive metal bands) and I never heard about venues specialized in progressive rock. Jazz, metal, punk, avant-garde... yes. Straightforward progressive rock à la Yes/Genesis or even Canterbury-like bands seem to be very rare and not very lucky.
Bren Rodmar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 12:23
I'm from Mexico, in generaly the most of the people in my country don't even know that the progressive rock exist, and knowing the way that the people is here and what they like, i can say that probably that huge mass of people would not like this genre. But theres a minority of people who like it a lot: at least in my city there's a radio station that broadcasts a weekly two-hour dedicated to progressive rock.    

despite everything (especially the media blitz) and the little diffusion, in my country is organized the festival BajaProg (in fact, next april will be the 2013 edition), considered as one of the best in whole world!, so I'm proud of that.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 16:55
Originally posted by Bren Rodmar Bren Rodmar wrote:

I'i can say that probably that huge mass of people would not like this genre. But theres a minority of people who like it a lot: at least in my city there's a radio station that broadcasts a weekly two-hour dedicated to progressive rock.    

I got the impression that the majority of people who listen to popular music can't have more devotion in their love for music as the progressive rock fans. Because i can't understand how you can enjoy passionately music that gets forgotten after a few years, and that people listen in their radio almost by accident. They're something stronger in the progressive rock music that you can enjoy for a longer period of times. I don't want say that people who enjoy only pop music are stupid, but that music is not very important in their life.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 18:15
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Because i can't understand how you can enjoy passionately music that gets forgotten after a few years, and that people listen in their radio almost by accident. They're something stronger in the progressive rock music that you can enjoy for a longer period of times. I don't want say that people who enjoy only pop music are stupid, but that music is not very important in their life.

I'd strongly dispute the notion that they do in fact forget their favourite songs from few years ago.  If anything, they associate it with nostalgic memories just like any other music listener.   It is more profitable for the industry to promote new singles so they don't try too hard to revive the works of old artists.   Even so, several pop artists from the 60s, 70s and 80s are well remembered to this day, just not all of them. 

Edited by rogerthat - January 13 2013 at 18:15
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 00:06
Here in South Africa I don´t know any prog fans. However at the local cd shops in East London you stumble across some prog albums and many years ago I saw Jethro Tull live in Cape Town.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
Marty219 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 02:16
My friends and others of my age (around 21) generally think it's "weird music", but most of them can appreciate the artistic quality to it. I got them to like some more melodic kind of prog songs and they tend to like Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. The latter probably because the opening piano theme is used in a well known Dutch kids series.

It's a shame that Focus is not known at all amongst most of the youth here. But most people above 40 know them, or at least Jan Akkerman.
Eerichtho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 15:11
I'm in a very small country. Estonia. It's between Finland (capital is a few hours by sea), Russia, Latvia and Sweden.

And actually, we do have press coverage and some interest in this kind of music. Mainly because in the soviet era we were as "Western" as possible, most so of the union, and the music scene thrived nicely enough with the few excellent prog bands being enough for the 3-4 million people (these bands *were* pretty popular).

Prog had an important place in the stuff enthusiasts managed to get from abroad, and as such prog holds some special notice. Many people here on campus (in a Uni-city) like at least some proggieness to their music.

We don't get many big concerts though, except the usual Tull, Yes, Neo(Genesis) - like The Watch, and such. Robert Fripp once gave a nice show in a church. And Keith Emerson was amazing a few years back. But if you want to see DT or the likes, you'd have to go across the gulf to Finland. They have relatively many such bigger concerts (we do have big venues, but the sound is horrible in these).

But, as mentioned, there *are* pretty lively groups of people that bring more interesting bands to obscure concerts here. Anekdoten and Anglagard have visited an island of ours. More-metal oriented bands are stuffed in little venues - we had Opeth, Isis, will have Agalloch shortly. Actually, there's quite a lot of that "prog-metal" stuff going on. But the big names are somehow stuffed in really small venues.

Edited by Eerichtho - January 16 2013 at 06:04
Neon Eyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 01:13
In my country (Croatia) prog was never popular form of music. Lots of musicians and bands have prog elements in their music, but prog as prog is mostly unknown as a form. Young generation prefer more modern and aggressive types, such as djent/math core/tech progressive death metal etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>