Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow is Prog received where you live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 22:27
What's prog?  Sleepy
PROG ON!!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 01:08
I see that Jon Anderson is touring in Australia and New Zealand soon:

DrömmarenAdrian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 08:22
Hello

I live in Stockholm, Sverige/Sweden and I love progressive rock and have done it for perhaps two years. Before I only loved progg - another genre. In the swedish prog(g) the music don't have to be progressive, it was what was around the music that was progressive.

So here we have to separate those definitions when we talk about this with ordinary people. Amongst my 180 facebook-friends there's just a few that like progressive rock (two uncles for example). I have spoken with a friend who likes experimental rock like Mogwai(I don't) and he thinks Genesis is to much "all over the place".

I think people here in Sweden is very open minded to new forms of music, but of course it depends on what music they like from the beginning. Many of my friends is also too voice-oriented to appreciate progressive rock . Over all I think prog is a very underrated genre - people really should discover this glorious world!
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 13:33
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I see that Jon Anderson is touring in Australia and New Zealand soon

Yep! I have tickets to see him in Sydney in April. Very much looking forward to it.
rosenbach View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 08:37
I live in Mexico City and most of the people I know don't even know what prog is. Fortunately there's a well known flea market in the city that is (or was?) focused on music, it's called
El Chopo

I attend there since 1984 or 1985 and have a lot of friends among who buy, sell, trade or borrow prog music.

Nowdays we're now kind of an extinct specie, but you can still find every saturday between 30 or 40 guys who like prog rock and when business finish many of us go to the same place to have some beers.

I love Saturdays!

Edited by rosenbach - February 07 2013 at 08:44
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 15:24
Originally posted by rosenbach rosenbach wrote:

I live in Mexico City and most of the people I know don't even know what prog is. Fortunately there's a well known flea market in the city that is (or was?) focused on music, it's called
El Chopo

I attend there since 1984 or 1985 and have a lot of friends among who buy, sell, trade or borrow prog music.

Nowdays we're now kind of an extinct specie, but you can still find every saturday between 30 or 40 guys who like prog rock and when business finish many of us go to the same place to have some beers.

I love Saturdays!

That sounds awesome.  Trading prog albums with people is one of the best ways I can think of to spend a Saturday. LOL
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 16:22
Around here Prog is not 'received', it's 'kicked out' Shocked
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 18:48
I've recently moved to Eugene, Oregon (USA) from Cincinnati, Ohio (USA), and amazingly enough, I've met more people into, or at least respectful, of prog in these few months then I had ever known back in my hometown. In fact I met one fellow who told me about the time he would play concerts in the 70's where they would only play Tales from Topographic Oceans in its entirety.

Not that prog is big around here or anything, but the people around here tend to enjoy music that is 'different' or at least not 'mainstream', so prog is naturally more common.

Edited by Metalmarsh89 - February 07 2013 at 18:50
Vin776 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2013 at 18:50
Cool story
Nice to meet you
Sounds like a tribute band of the highest order!
Vincent Bitetti - Video Game & Media Consultant (and prog rock musician)
kingesis2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 11:59
My house: Like a God's gift... My town: Like crap.....
Yeah this is so disapointing.....
(I live in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
bigballz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 01:38
its received well by me... but my little town it is none existent  :(
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 22:36
Originally posted by eduardofoxx13 eduardofoxx13 wrote:

Unhappy I'm form Venezuela too, I'd like to move someday, but I think of my family

i've met some Venezuelans in the USA who like Dream Theater and some other prog related bands--some of them were musicians so that could explain it--Smile
FenderX View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 16:56
I think that the prog especially the Progressive Metal sub-genre is very appreciated here in Israel, and if I know right, Israel has one of the biggest prog scenes in the world, so I'm very glad that it is like that and PROG ON!
Tristan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 16:21
Originally posted by Astral Traveller Astral Traveller wrote:

Here in CT we get every Rush, Yes, Tull, Waters,Musical Box and even Hackett tour. In Farfield County where I live, the Musical Box played a show at the Ridgefield Playhouse, which was an amazing show. Rush came in October, and Yes is stopping by in April.

I'm also in CT (Hartford area) and saw Rush last summer. Every band you mentioned is older than me and I'm in my 50's. The state of Prog in CT sucks in my opinion. When do ANY new artists come here? Personally I have a hard time seeing the same bands I saw back in the 70's. They are just past their prime. Though Rush did put on an excellent show in Bridgeport. The only other Prog fan I know is my son. (Guess I raised him right). All of my friends (my age) are into country/pop/easy listening/classic rock.

Edited by Tristan - February 22 2013 at 16:24
The Acolyte View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 19:54
Originally posted by dawbakhos dawbakhos wrote:

Oh, I'm from Venezuela. And no, I don't know any other prog fan more that some Twitter people and the people from this forum. Art is dead here. :-/
Man, I can´t think of a better description of the situation of this genre in my country (Colombia). Here al Progarchives.com I believe there´s me and other Colombian...As my neighbor from Venezuela says, the prog scene in this part of the world (except for Brasil, Argentina and probably Chile) is practically inexistent, no bands come (or came in earlier years...), people know something of Pink Floyd or Genesis but that´s it, the radio stations are filled with native rhytms, etc...i guess you get the idea. Our only source of knowledge is the web and great websites like this, so my congratulations to all the members of this family called Progarchives.com.
Just a anecdote for you to know: David Gilmour once came to do a concert in my hometown (Cali, Colombia)...you know what happened? People started booing and throwing bottles and things at him...so he ran...Cry
Saludos desde Colombia. Keep Progging!!!ClapWinkClap
"…but would I leave you in this moment of your trial?"
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 23:48
Originally posted by The Acolyte The Acolyte wrote:

Originally posted by dawbakhos dawbakhos wrote:

Oh, I'm from Venezuela. And no, I don't know any other prog fan more that some Twitter people and the people from this forum. Art is dead here. :-/
Man, I can´t think of a better description of the situation of this genre in my country (Colombia). Here al Progarchives.com I believe there´s me and other Colombian...As my neighbor from Venezuela says, the prog scene in this part of the world (except for Brasil, Argentina and probably Chile) is practically inexistent, no bands come (or came in earlier years...), people know something of Pink Floyd or Genesis but that´s it, the radio stations are filled with native rhytms, etc...i guess you get the idea. Our only source of knowledge is the web and great websites like this, so my congratulations to all the members of this family called Progarchives.com.
Just a anecdote for you to know: David Gilmour once came to do a concert in my hometown (Cali, Colombia)...you know what happened? People started booing and throwing bottles and things at him...so he ran...Cry
Saludos desde Colombia. Keep Progging!!!ClapWinkClap

Wow, thanks for the information!  I wasn't sure what the musical scene in Sud America was like!  

Funny....in Chicago, when the weather is warm, we have street musicians who play pan pipes, guitar & flute, playing the native music you mentioned!  Many times, they are really outstanding, I'm very fond of that music and even play a bit myself on guitar!  

Glad you are in the family, this is a very diverse and interesting bunch on here!  Cheers and adios, Chuck p.s. this is one of the groups I saw playing on Michigan Avenue, I bought one of their CDs and I love it!   In many ways, this approaches prog rock!

Edited by cstack3 - February 28 2013 at 00:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567