Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: read any good books lately...
    Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:27

...besides "Harry Potter"

I'm still reading Dune and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold both are very good by the way.

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:32

about to start reading Dune,  and Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk as soon as I finish The Stand by Stephen King (sadly its almost 1500 pages!).  Just finished up Arthur Clarke's 2010: Odyssey 2 which was quite awesome.

luckily, I have a week at the beach coming up, so I'll probably get thru most of those.

Edited by GoldenSpiral
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 11:45
Recently read Espedair St, Walking On Glass, Canal Dreams & A Song of Stone, back to back, all by Iain Banks...(he of Wasp Factory fame)...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manunkind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 12:50

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Recently read Espedair St, Walking On Glass, Canal Dreams & A Song of Stone, back to back, all by Iain Banks...(he of Wasp Factory fame)...

Iain Banks kicks major ass!

Although I've only read the sci-fi stuff he publishes as Iain M. Banks...

I've finished reading an anthology of Russian sci-fi stories, don't know whether it's been published in English, but if it has, the title's probably something like "Lenin's Zombie". Really original stuff, at times very funny, often scary, but usually very serious, the Russian past being ever present in those stories...

Now I'm reading John Barth's "Lost in the Funhouse".     

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cygnus X-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 13:24
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I finished yesterday, it was a good read.

Anyway,

War of the Worlds (again)

Moon (Keith Moon biography)

bityear View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bityear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 13:35
I just got done with the Robert Jordan books that's out so far... took me, like, three months! And, it's good ALL THE WAY THROUGH! What's up with that guy??
 I'll take a break from reading now, but I've still got to read through Lord of the Rings this year... it's a tradition.

Well, now you know what a geek I am.
www.geocities.com/joelbitars
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spectral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 14:32
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

about to start reading Dune,  and Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk as soon as I finish The Stand by Stephen King (sadly its almost 1500 pages!).  Just finished up Arthur Clarke's 2010: Odyssey 2 which was quite awesome.

luckily, I have a week at the beach coming up, so I'll probably get thru most of those.

I've read Lullaby.  It was cool.  It's the first Palahniuk book I've picked up...I've yet to read Fight Club.

I'm reading Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland at the moment.  Not up to the usual high standards of Coupland, but typical of his work nonetheless.  I'm also re-reading Closing Time (sequel to Catch 22 - one of the greatest book I've read) by Joseph Heller.

"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenSpiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 15:09
Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

I've read Lullaby.  It was cool.  It's the first Palahniuk book I've picked up...I've yet to read Fight Club.

I'm reading Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland at the moment.  Not up to the usual high standards of Coupland, but typical of his work nonetheless.  I'm also re-reading Closing Time (sequel to Catch 22 - one of the greatest book I've read) by Joseph Heller.

if you like Palahniuk, Choke is the best, followed by Fight Club and Survivor.  He also has a book of semi-true stories called Stranger than Fiction that I hope to read soon too.

http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spectral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 15:33

Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

if you like Palahniuk, Choke is the best, followed by Fight Club and Survivor.  He also has a book of semi-true stories called Stranger than Fiction that I hope to read soon too.

Thanks for the tips.  I quite enjoyed Lullaby, but thought at the time that he's probably got better books.  I'll check them out.

Edited by spectral
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 19:35
"only when the sun shines brightly" by Magnus Mills is the best book I've read this year which isn't by P G Wodehouse.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 19:50
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I'm still reading Dune and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold both are very good by the way.

Dune is an incredible book and a great series.I read those books over and over again when I was a teenager.There are a whole bunch of prequel books out written by Frank Herbert's son Brian and sci-fi writer Kevin Anderson,which I have read but detested,they just lacked the brilliance and the vision of Frank's books.

And I just finished my daughters copy of HP and The Half Blood Prince,great book,I can't help it,I love that series.

Currently reading:The River God by Wilbur Smith,a novel set in ancient Egypt

Edited by TheProgtologist

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 19:52
Is the new Potter book worth reading if you fall into the "The first three were excellent but it's all gone to pot" camp?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 19:53
I just recieved "The Negative Dialectics of poodle play" By Ben Watson i think. It's about Zappa's music and such. I think it will be an interesting read.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:03

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Is the new Potter book worth reading if you fall into the "The first three were excellent but it's all gone to pot" camp?

I think they have gotten better with each book.Starting with The Prisoner of Azkaban the story started to get very dark.I think with that book HP pretty much stopped being a "kids book".Have you read up to The Order of the Phoenix?If you have you have too keep on,don't you want to see how it all comes out in the end?Only one more book to go.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hemulen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:16
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I think they have gotten better with each book.Starting with The Prisoner of Azkaban the story started to get very dark.I think with that book HP pretty much stopped being a "kids book".Have you read up to The Order of the Phoenix?

Yes, and I thought the last two were sh*te. Overwritten, riddled with cliches and nowhere near as gripping as the media'd have you believe.

If you have you have too keep on,don't you want to see how it all comes out in the end?

Not bothered. I'd just like to read another book in the series as good as "Azkaban". I get the feeling that's not gonna happen though.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:21

progtologist:

yeah, i'm about halfway done with Dune. I've barely picked it up since school's end and i should've been done with it a half-year ago.

trouserpress:

i liked The Goblet of Fire but have not yet read The Order of the Phoenix or the new one. But I'll do it sooner or later. I didn't think Goblet was that bad though, you may be alone on that one.

NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NetsNJFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:30
I think Dune is my favorite book, along with 1984 and Deepness in the Sky (Vernor Vinge)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:34

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

I think Dune is my favorite book, along with 1984 and Deepness in the Sky (Vernor Vinge)

I am a huge sci fi and fantasy fan and IMO Dune is the greatest sci fi book ever written

NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NetsNJFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 20:49

I am a huge sci fi and fantasy fan and IMO Dune is the greatest sci fi book ever written

check out Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge.

my mom has literally 2,000 science fiction books in basement, just shelves and shelves, its ridiculous, anyways we both love SF and agree that thats one of the best ever written

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 21:02

check out Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge.

my mom has literally 2,000 science fiction books in basement, just shelves and shelves, its ridiculous, anyways we both love SF and agree that thats one of the best ever written

I have heard of that book but haven't read it,I'll check it out.I probably have that many sc-fi and fantasy books alone.I built shelves on 2 walls of our extra room,wall to wall and floor to ceiling  and still can't fit all of them on it.We have books all over the place and it drives my wife absolutely nuts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 320>