Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 219220221222223 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:16
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

After devouring "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", the 1200+ book on, well, the subject is obvious, I'm studying more of the era with the fantastic trilogy by Richard Evans The Coming of the Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power and, eventually after I finish this one, The Third Reich at War. Then we will leave this part of history alone and will focus on others... Tongue

I found a copy of that on the steps of a factory when I was young. I'm guessing its worth reading? 
If you're interested in that part of history of course. The book is from the 60s so a few concepts have changed over the years (the writer was a conservative and he made it obvious he considered things like homosexuality aberrant, something you would rarely find in a historic book today) and it reads too much as a narration of events (with great detail) and less as a true historical treaty analyzing events with a greater emphasis on their context and how culture, society, history, etc were affected, but even with a few flaws, it's a fantastic book on the subject. The writer is not a historian but a journalist, and that might have a few disadvantages but it also has advantages, as the book has a rhythm that makes you devour it quite quickly despite of its size. 
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:25

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

After devouring "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", the 1200+ book on, well, the subject is obvious, I'm studying more of the era with the fantastic trilogy by Richard Evans The Coming of the Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power and, eventually after I finish this one, The Third Reich at War. Then we will leave this part of history alone and will focus on others... Tongue

I found a copy of that on the steps of a factory when I was young. I'm guessing its worth reading? 
If you're interested in that part of history of course. The book is from the 60s so a few concepts have changed over the years (the writer was a conservative and he made it obvious he considered things like homosexuality aberrant, something you would rarely find in a historic book today) and it reads too much as a narration of events (with great detail) and less as a true historical treaty analyzing events with a greater emphasis on their context and how culture, society, history, etc were affected, but even with a few flaws, it's a fantastic book on the subject. The writer is not a historian but a journalist, and that might have a few disadvantages but it also has advantages, as the book has a rhythm that makes you devour it quite quickly despite of its size. 

I've heard that it ignores most Hitler resistance movements and instead insinuates that they did not exist.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:33
^It's a little too "Germans were always war-hungry and antisemite and militaristic therefore the Nazis were just a logical and unavoidable conclusion to their history" without doing more analysis of how not all Germany was like that, how the whole Europe was antisemitic, how WWI was the crucial determinig factor in cooking nazism out of that boiling pot. Yes, it has its flaws. But I would say is the perfect primer on that history. The other three i'm reading now are much more in-depth but would've been less effective had I read them first.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:54
Got you. I'm working through some monster non-fiction works now. Perhaps I'll take that on next.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 17:59
really starting to get into Medium Raw, didn't know he'd become so depressed careening in a jeep toward certain death, his addictions considered romantic and cool by the very people & chefs he'd try to warn away from that life with Kitchen Confidential.   Good stuff and I'm only on page 60.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 03:46
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

really starting to get into Medium Raw, didn't know he'd become so depressed careening in a jeep toward certain death, his addictions considered romantic and cool by the very people & chefs he'd try to warn away from that life with Kitchen Confidential.   Good stuff and I'm only on page 60.

The whole chapter he does on chef David Chang is fascinating.

If you like reading Bourdain you should try out Bill Buford,I read his book "Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany" not too long ago and loved it.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 03:02
After quite a break...finished "Seeing" by Saramago.
Was a good read, pretty brutal ending. Also we never find out who was really responsibleShocked

Was a bit more avant garde than I expected, not just in style but how it seemed to move. Lots of detail on obvious/unnecessary things, with overly verbose statements to say simple things...I'm guessing that was all part to help create a "governmental" feel.
O I see what you did there...

Alitare, if you see this by any chance: Did it hurt not having read "Blindness" ? It was referenced a lot, I looked up what it was about but not sure if actually having read it would have shed more detail.

Edited by JJLehto - February 28 2012 at 03:03
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 03:28
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The whole chapter he does on chef David Chang is fascinating.

If you like reading Bourdain you should try out Bill Buford,I read his book "Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany" not too long ago and loved it.
and I would also recomend watching Treme as he is a writer for the chef bits/
Curutchet View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curutchet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 04:19
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Originally posted by tupan tupan wrote:

EXCELLENT book by the australian writer Max Barry! Funny and thought-provoking sci-fi!

It's not bad as entertainment goes, not so good on the distopian literature scale. Personally I prefer his previous book, Syrup (albeit a bit naïve) and his hilarious take on business management Company, both of which I highly recommend. I am still to read his new one, I believe it's called The Man Machine or something.   

I've read everything by Max Barry and I love the guy, his novels are really funny.
Jennifer Government is my least favourite, maybe because it is too action-oriented and has too many characters.
Syrup is the best, it is a hugely entertaining take on the marketing industry.
Company is funny as sh*t, starts as a sort of Office Space then has a Matrix-like plot development.
I read Machine Man recently, the premise is interesting but I feel it reads too much like a Hollywood movie. The mix of action-oriented plot and "philosophical" bits is a bit gratuitous. Still enjoyable.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 04:41
Jack Kerouac's On The Road: didn't like it as much as The Dharma Bums, it's the unpolished gem; still "excellent" though, 8+ out of 10
Orhan Pamuk's My Name Is Red: amazing book, borderline 10/10 for me.
John Updike's Rabbit Redux: not as strong as a the first Rabbit novel, but still intriguing and powerful; 7/10

Currently re-reading One Hundred Years Of Solitude, still the fundamental masterpiece that shook my world a decade and a half ago Cool
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 04:47
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Currently re-reading One Hundred Years Of Solitude, still the fundamental masterpiece that shook my world a decade and a half ago Cool

so tru
& so tru

LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinusW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 04:51

Jack Kerouac's On The Road: didn't like it as much as The Dharma Bums, it's the unpolished gem; still "excellent" though, 8+ out of 10

So tru

So tru

...and sounds nice, since I've only read Love In The Time Of Cholera. Seems I need to get it.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 04:52
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Alitare, if you see this by any chance: Did it hurt not having read "Blindness" ? It was referenced a lot, I looked up what it was about but not sure if actually having read it would have shed more detail.

It doesn't hurt. Seeing picks up the events and characters from Blindness giving enough info. Blindness is still a book of its own and a hell of a book. You may want to not grab it right away, though, if Seeing got heavy enough for you in certain moments. That didn't happen to me, though. I read it in a few days, sometimes not clutching to it for hours. I was luckily in vacation, up in the mountains. Sure picked a book not to be able to relax with.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 05:13
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

so tru
& so tru

:brofist:

You know, the amazing thing for me is that the Muslim medieval miniaturists were very similar to Byzantine icon painters, who are still alive and well in contemporary Romania - either still as icon painters or disguised as "secular" painters. I know quite a few and it's amazing how they perpetuate the same ancient tradition, and have the same problems in regards to art, life, transcendence.
BTW the story with the old master who witnesses the sacking of Baghdad and quits calligraphy is amazingly similar to the main story in Tarkovsky's Rublyov.

Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

...and sounds nice, since I've only read Love In The Time Of Cholera. Seems I need to get it.

Most definitely, especially if you liked LITTOC.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 06:04
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

It doesn't hurt. Seeing picks up the events and characters from Blindness giving enough info. Blindness is still a book of its own and a hell of a book. You may want to not grab it right away, though, if Seeing got heavy enough for you in certain moments. That didn't happen to me, though. I read it in a few days, sometimes not clutching to it for hours. I was luckily in vacation, up in the mountains. Sure picked a book not to be able to relax with.

Honestly, only at the very end.
It was actually a difficult read for me, first getting used to the style but second just holding my interest. I wasn't really captivated till near the end and the VERY end is when I was pretty shocked (though it wasn't even surprising, now that's some writing)! I mainly plowed forward to finish it and also find out what exactly happened...so it was pretty great when you never actually know who was the mastermind/what happened.

Someone else mentioned Blindness as being superior and an amazing read. Will pick it up today probably!
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 07:08
Just finished:

Now well into:

Dem pesky Lannisters!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
PolarWolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 07:59
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Just finished:

Now well into:

Dem pesky Lannisters!

I also finished Game of Thrones just a while ago. It was very good, much better than I expected. It has been long hyped as a "fantasy with sex&violence", so I feared it to be a shallow read full of blood & sex and one-dimensional characters. That's why I was a little bit wary and it took me a long time to start it, but actually it was cleverly written: the plot was interesting and had couple of twists. The characters were deep enough and realistically prone to errors. The violence and sex scenes were described quite graphically but they still weren't self-purposeful and were used quite sparsely.

I'm quite eager to go on with the second book of the series, but I think I'll wait a while and read a couple of different kind of books first. Currently I'm reading Hermann Hesse's Rosshalde. A very good novel, too.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 10:43
Originally posted by PolarWolf PolarWolf wrote:

I'm quite eager to go on with the second book of the series, but I think I'll wait a while and read a couple of different kind of books first. Currently I'm reading Hermann Hesse's Rosshalde. A very good novel, too.

I currently have this on the backburner:

Was thinking about reading this first, but as it's been so long since book 2 came out, I'll have to re-read the first couple before this one... then again, if I get too much into the Song Of Ice & Fire series, that's another 5 books until I get to read 'Abarat'... so many books, so little time...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 10:51
If anbybody is well taught in Dutch or French or German, please help me with this:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85240
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 12:21
That's an horribly orange cover!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 219220221222223 320>