Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262263264265266 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 21:59

A fantasy novel before there were fantasy novels.

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - July 10 2013 at 21:59
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 23:11
Just finished reading John Dies at the End, which I found to be a great/hilarious romp through Philip Dickian environments, led by Douglas Adams.  Plus wig monsters.

Now I've started reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, by Haruki Murakami. Finally reading my first Murakami, and the first six chapters have me interested and enjoying it.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 05:58
Murakami is great; I love "A Wild Sheep Chase" and his opus magnum "1Q84."If you are interested in Japanese authors I also highly recommend Kobo Abe.. Start with "The Box Man"; it is kind of a Philip K. Dick novel Japanese style. Not that it is SF, but you will perfectly lose your grab on reality when reading it.

And  you should also read "The Temple of the Golden Pavilion" by Yukio Mishima. Mishima was probably the last samurai.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 06:28
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Just finished reading John Dies at the End, which I found to be a great/hilarious romp through Philip Dickian environments, led by Douglas Adams.  Plus wig monsters.

Hey Salty.

If you enjoy absurdity in your reading, especially Douglas Adams, then have you checked out William Burroughs yet? He's written other novels than Naked LunchWink
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 07:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Hey Salty.

If you enjoy absurdity in your reading, especially Douglas Adams, then have you checked out William Burroughs yet? He's written other novels than Naked LunchWink

Or try Jasper Fforde (yes, with a double "F"). Start with "The Eyre Affair", the first novel in the Thursday Next series. Delightfully weird, but you should know a lot about English literature. And it definitely helps if you have read "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 17 2013 at 00:42

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 22:26
Starting

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 03:39
Recently realized I haven't read many books by women. Been trying to correct that these last weeks. Had already read some classics like Jane Austen and Mary Shelley (love the former), so I picked up some modern ones, namely Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. Wow to both - more than the stories, it was the writing that did it for me. Already have the follow-up to Wolf Hall on my bedside table, but what should my next incursion into Atwood territory be?   
Bigger on the inside.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 06:01
Re reading my favorite SF trilogy (again) - currently about halfway through

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 09:45
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I should ck that out...haven't read any Robinson in years.
If you like complex sci-fi ,I highly recommend Ian Banks Culture series., and the old Ringworld series by Niven.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 12:24

Swoon
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 11:44

It's been awhile since I've read existential stuff. I guess that binge was a different era.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 19:17
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

The Man Without Qualities

It's been awhile since I've read existential stuff. I guess that binge was a different era.

that's one hell of a book, one of my favourites.

recently finished:

Thomas Bernhard - Woodcutters (maybe one of Bernhard most absurd works, the second book - i think - in this commentaries on the arts/artist)

"Earlier, no doubt in a final effort to attract everyone's attention, he had suddenly removed his lower dental plate and held it front of the actor's face, remarking that life was short, man a frail creature and death not far away. This had prompted the actor to utter the word tasteless several times, while Auersberger replaced the dental plate in his mouth. His wife naturally jumped up once more, intending to get him out of the music room and into the bedroom. Again she did not succeed; Auersberger threatened several times to kill her and pushed her away, so that she stumbled against the actor, who caught her in his arms, whereupon Auersberger exclaimed Oh how tasteless! several times, then dozed off in his peasants jacket." 

&

William Faulkner - As I Lay Dying.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 11:35

josuu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josuu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 15:11
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Recently realized I haven't read many books by women. Been trying to correct that these last weeks. Had already read some classics like Jane Austen and Mary Shelley (love the former), so I picked up some modern ones, namely Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. Wow to both - more than the stories, it was the writing that did it for me. Already have the follow-up to Wolf Hall on my bedside table, but what should my next incursion into Atwood territory be?   

If you liked The Handmaids Tale probably Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood (in that order as they form a series) by Atwood would be enjoyable as well. Also Alias Grace was a great book about a lady who was sentenced to prison for 16 years, maybe guilty, maybe not.

Handmaid's Tale is indeed a masterpiece, one of the best books I've ever read.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 15:24
 Big smile Nice!
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 16:05
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I have these and never read them. But if  you say it's good maybe the time has arrived to rectify that.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 12:03
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2d/CuckoosCallingCover.jpg/200px-CuckoosCallingCover.jpg

I liked it.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 12:07
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2d/CuckoosCallingCover.jpg/200px-CuckoosCallingCover.jpg

I liked it.

I thought it was pretty good,Rowling should have published it as her first non-Potter book instead of the dreadful The Casual Vacancy.

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 13:10
Originally posted by josuu josuu wrote:

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

If you liked The Handmaids Tale probably Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood (in that order as they form a series) by Atwood would be enjoyable as well. Also Alias Grace was a great book about a lady who was sentenced to prison for 16 years, maybe guilty, maybe not.

Thanks, I'll check those out. Thumbs Up
Bigger on the inside.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 13:20
It would be a hit in English, but i'ts only in french, the leader of Harmonium who has gone trough plenty of high and lows...

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262263264265266 320>