Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 280281282283284 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 04:19
I haven't read sh*t since the World Cup began. Can't wait for Monday.
Bigger on the inside.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 14:56

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 15:47

PochoBig smile

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - July 13 2014 at 15:54
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 23:14
Recently finished The Medusa and the Snail by Lewis Thomas, probably my favorite author.
GhostPony750 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GhostPony750 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 13:51
I recently started reading Les Miserables, it's amazing so far. Also not long ago, I read Animal Farm and 1984. I love classics. o_O
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 15:09
Originally posted by GhostPony750 GhostPony750 wrote:

I love classics. o_O

Me too. I read The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson last week  and it's really good.
A thin book, but quite interesting. Not boring in any way.

Edited by Moogtron III - July 15 2014 at 15:09
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 13:33
Currently reading Cold Days...The Dresden Files.

Cold Days Hardcover.jpg
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 19:28

Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust
by Ken Scott 2012

Any autobiography by a record producer/engineer is bound to target two main audiences: the mic spotting pocket protector crowd and the 'Classic Albums' collecting Rawk fan. Scott therefore straddles this divide admirably and I think suceeds in giving both camps what they want.  The technical data is there for those who seek it while the anecdotal pace is well judged and all the stories are corroborated by third parties. This latter fact is important, as it illustrates an overriding perception about Scott's character imbued in his work that one man's 'exemplary attention to detail' is another's 'fastidious pedantic obsessive'
No rock related autobiography would be complete without a large dollop of irreverence and Scott doesn't disappoint. He is however, never in thrall to the artists he is working for and such sober pragmatism is very refreshing in a milieu where gushing disciples would have us believe their messiah's indefensible behavior is proof of their genius etc
There are many fascinating accounts of working on albums with Lou Reed, the Beatles, Elton John, Bowie, Jeff Beck, Devo, the Tubes, Level 42 (the list goes on)
For Prog fans there is a very interesting and detailed chapter on Supertramp's Crime of the Century album plus shorter sections on Happy the Man, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Procol Harum, Pink Floyd, Dixie Dregs, Billy Cobham, Stanley Clarke and Kansas.
I really enjoyed this and I believe it's an important book simply because Ken Scott makes no bones about being an old school producer/engineer so his recollections of a rapidly disappearing time when music was a genuinely collaborative process has to be a valuable testimony.

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 19 2014 at 19:32
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 05:01

Now that Dr. Wu mentioned Colin Wilson previously in this very thread, I picked this up at the library earlier this week. For some reason the Britons write better books on the paranormal and occult than Americans, the UK writers on the subject often being more oriented towards the social sciences in their angle. For example, this volume on bizarre and violent religious movements being surprisingly well-researched and sociologically insightful considering its sensationalistic tone.

Apparently Wilson started out as a novelist writing gritty social-realistic "angry young man" literature, so I guess that angle comes more naturally for him.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 05:15
^ an incredibly eclectic author who introduced me to (amongst other things) existentialism, the credible occult, Wilhelm Reich and Aleister Crowley etc, and yes, Wilson writes like the imaginary illegitimate offspring of Raskolnikov. Wink
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 12:11
Midway through this right now.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 22:18
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ an incredibly eclectic author who introduced me to (amongst other things) existentialism, the credible occult, Wilhelm Reich and Aleister Crowley etc, and yes, Wilson writes like the imaginary illegitimate offspring of Raskolnikov. Wink

Absolutely a joy to read his books on philosophy, and the occult and paranormal in general. I have also read 2 of his fiction novels...not bad.
Haquin
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 23:34
Haven't read anything new since "The Odessa File" and its been ages...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 01:20

A series of books from a former Doctor Who writer,the Rivers of London series can best be described as urban fantasy police procedurals.Really good series of books so far.Clap

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:23
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

A series of books from a former Doctor Who writer,the Rivers of London series can best be described as urban fantasy police procedurals.Really good series of books so far.Clap

I'll definitely ck those out since you and I seem to like similar types of urban fantasy.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 14:26
Now I am reading...

I'm coming to a point where I derive more genuine escapism from fiction written in completely different times and places than contemporary Western authors deliberately trying to evoke them. A good example is how I really like the air of Victorian British faith in modern rationalism but with that layer of varnish still wet on top of pre-modern tradition you find in many of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writings. Amusing how it's the same basic plot twists crime fiction writers are using today as he invented back then....
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 14:51
I'm about to finish "Library of the Dead".
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 15:05
I am into serial killers books since i have read the fascinating book of Charles Whitman. Now it's Helen Morrsion :

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 13:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I'll definitely ck those out since you and I seem to like similar types of urban fantasy.

I recommend them pretty highly.Just letting you know,the first book was originally published as Midnight Riot in the UK but here it is published under the name Rivers of London,which is also the name of the series.

Sadly,I just started the last one Ben has published so far.....Unhappy

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 23:35
Re-reading one of my all time favorite non-fiction books? (Is it non-fiction or fiction?!)

A Monetary History of the United States, 1867-1960

Star
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 280281282283284 320>