Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 281282283284285 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 15:42

Just starting this one. Anyone else read it? I'll report back once I've finished it (give me a few days).
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 10:42
I had to read that one in high school.....boring as hell to me even if it's considered a classic.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Hans il mercante View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans il mercante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 11:23
I' ve read a very interesting book a week ago, "The navigator" by Morris West. Highly recommended.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 11:31
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I had to read that one in high school.....boring as hell to me even if it's considered a classic.
Wink

Haha, I felt the same way about Of Mice and Men (I was very much into fantasy fiction exclusively at that point) when I was 16 in high school. Six years on I reread it and am now in love with it! I intend to read it again, even. I'll let you know how I get on with CaP dude.

Arnold Schoenberg
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 12:46
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Wink

Haha, I felt the same way about Of Mice and Men (I was very much into fantasy fiction exclusively at that point) when I was 16 in high school. Six years on I reread it and am now in love with it! I intend to read it again, even. I'll let you know how I get on with CaP dude.

Never thought Of Mice and Men was all that exciting either but then I think many mainstream 'classics' especially the school reading lists are boring on some level. I've read most of the so-called classics over the years and Dickens is about the only one that can hold my interest all through. But I do appreciate the quality of writing in the classics but I have always needed a strong plot in my novels and a little something odd/strange going on.
Haquin
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 13:24

Just starting this one. Anyone else read it? I'll report back once I've finished it (give me a few days).

I've read it a couple times, pretty good
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 16:37

Wink

Never thought Of Mice and Men was all that exciting either but then I think many mainstream 'classics' especially the school reading lists are boring on some level. I've read most of the so-called classics over the years and Dickens is about the only one that can hold my interest all through. But I do appreciate the quality of writing in the classics but I have always needed a strong plot in my novels and a little something odd/strange going on.

I really like Dickens a lot. Hard Times is probably my favourite because of its critique on conservativism, but I really like Bleak House too. I really like Chinua Achebe too, but I don't know whether he qualifies as a classic writer (yet, although no doubt he will be in the future). Blake is also a sensational writer, as well as having some very sound and interesting philosophical ideas.

Arnold Schoenberg
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 19:16

Wink

I really like Dickens a lot. Hard Times is probably my favourite because of its critique on conservativism, but I really like Bleak House too. I really like Chinua Achebe too, but I don't know whether he qualifies as a classic writer (yet, although no doubt he will be in the future). Blake is also a sensational writer, as well as having some very sound and interesting philosophical ideas.
Blake as in William,,, the mystic poet and painter..?
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 05:01

Wink

The one and only!

Arnold Schoenberg
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 09:44

Wink

The one and only!

I have one oversize coffee table book of some of his paintings and poetry. My friend Bill is a huge fan of his work but
while I like his art I have never really dug deep into his stuff.
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 09:54

Wink

The one and only!

I have one oversize coffee table book of some of his paintings and poetry. My friend Bill is a huge fan of his work but

I'd definitely check out Marriage of Heaven and Hell. It's not too long but it's one of my favourites after Europe. Here's a link to it:

http://www.bartleby.com/235/253.html

Well worth a read once you get to grips with it! (I found the language quite difficult at first)

Arnold Schoenberg
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 14:07

Wink

The one and only!

I'd definitely check out Marriage of Heaven and Hell. It's not too long but it's one of my favourites after Europe. Here's a link to it:

Well worth a read once you get to grips with it! (I found the language quite difficult at first)

My friend Bill has a copy ....he's going to bring it by....thanks.
Haquin
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 00:22

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 02:38
A Heritage of Stone

good little one from Garrison not as well known as his famous On the Trail of the Assassins, but better in many ways--  out of print, very rare and expensive for years, finally old copies available cheaply.

And this far-fetched but intriguing narrative about a guy who claims he was sent to stop Oswald

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 09:03

Wink

The one and only!

My friend Bill has a copy ....he's going to bring it by....thanks.

Nice one man, let me know what you think!

Arnold Schoenberg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 06:17

Horrible cover and what should be a worn-out,cliched premise but instead is an excellent urban fantasy romp through a fun,deadly,well built world.Highly recommended for fans of Simon R. Green's "Nightside" series of books.

Edited by TheProgtologist - August 01 2014 at 01:28

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 17:19

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Another one I'll have to ck out.....I'm reading the 'Drood'  books by Green right now and then I'm going to read the Nightside series...too many books...too little time.
Wink
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 00:13

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Another one I'll have to ck out.....I'm reading the 'Drood'  books by Green right now and then I'm going to read the Nightside series...too many books...too little time.
Wink

Unfortunately I have read everything Simon has written so now wait for new material from him.His next will be a new Ghostfinders book in Sept,probably my least favorite of his series.

I'm now reading a book called Dead Things by Stephen Blackmoore.The Iron Druid Chronicles writer Kevin Hearne has been gushing about the guy and I am really glad I gave his recommendation a try.Superb,original dark urban fantasy set in a noirish LA about a modern day Nercromancer named Eric Carter.I'll hold this up alongside Dresden,Green's Nightside and Kadrey's Sandman Slim any day.It's that good.

Edited by TheProgtologist - August 14 2014 at 00:15

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 15:54
Ok...another one for my list.

Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 281282283284285 320>