Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 283284285286287 320>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 17:17
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FfH65uSwL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Pretty interesting and entertaining read, if you tolerate the pseudoscience and get past the semi-racist overtones. Even though the book is permeated with factual and scientific errors, Robert Charroux does raise a few intriguing questions and ideas. Also of interest to readers of Von Däniken's works.
What about dogs? What about cats? What about chickens?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 18:08
Originally posted by Archeus Archeus wrote:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FfH65uSwL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Pretty interesting and entertaining read, if you tolerate the pseudoscience and get past the semi-racist overtones. Even though the book is permeated with factual and scientific errors, Robert Charroux does raise a few intriguing questions and ideas. Also of interest to readers of Von Däniken's works.
I enjoy reading about ufos, , ancient aliens , etc....I'll see if I can find a copy.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 00:12
Check out Kadrey's new Sandman Slim book Dr. Wu.it's very good.

Just starting

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:45
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Check out Kadrey's new Sandman Slim book Dr. Wu.it's very good.

Just starting

I reading the Drood series now by Green........after that the next book will be the 4th in the Slim series.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 07:01
^^^^^^
Enjoy them,both authors are favorites of mine in the genre.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 21:18
Really enjoyed Beukes' last novel The Shining Girls so I'm really looking forward to starting this tonight.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 07:19
Reminds me quite a bit of Franz Kafka despite being a century older and having a somewhat more flowery prose style with the narration often rambling away on philosophical tangents. It's got the same kind of incredibly decrepit and bleak, yet somewhat otherworldly feel to it I like to call "Eastern Gothic". Similar absurdist and pessimist worldview with an undertone of humanism to it. Don't think I've ever seen any Western European author nail that vibe as perfectly as either.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 14 2014 at 07:34
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 10:57
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 11:38
^^^  classic
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 15:19
Been listening to lots of Hawkwind lately, so thought I should complement my listening with some Michael Moorcock.  So many to read but consensus is that the Elric Saga is a good starting point.  Will soon move on to 'The Dancers at the End of Time.'
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 15:17
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Love those books!

Interesting take on the Lizzie Borden tale.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 09:29
Just starting this and really enjoying reading about his formative years in West Acton, Ealing College area.  Learning about Mods and Rockers a bit, his musician father, and some discussion of "snogging." 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 14:27

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 04:48

Danish-language history of the horror genre in both literature and film, going all the way back to the 18th century's earliest supernatural fiction remembered as "gothic fiction" today. The actual classification of "horror literature" is somewhat younger than that. I quite liked the author's book on the history of action movies from the 1970s to now, so far this reads more gracefully.... perhaps since a certain strain of horror fiction is more cerebral in its appeal, and hence easier to intellectualize in a way that does not on some level strike the reader as awkward. Once again she shows a good handle on knowing what makes each specific sub-style of horror tick mentally for the audience.

(the book's title translates to In Lust and Death)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 00:41

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 15:29
I'm reading some books about music:

Half taking the piss out of the clichéd shibboleths and unlikely sacred cows of professional music criticism, half handy explanation to a lot of the more esoteric technical terms encountered in the same writing and to influential but not always well known artists. It's a bit UK/US-centric in its frame of reference, though, but very funny.

Full of amusing anecdotes from not just Lemmy but also the other musicians who have played in the group over the years, and gives a good sense of the broader context the band's career developed through in a very conversational way. Including some less well known details about the formative moments. I haven't read Lemmy Kilmister's autobiography but apparently it focuses less on the music and more on his private life?

I'm also reading this:

Very much a coffee table book, the entries on each secret society is rather short and without much in the way of sources. However, it's rather sober in tone and includes more than the usual suspects, plut it's got plenty of rare photographs.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 23:28

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 14:40

Really digging Thomas,his Punktown and Hades novels and short story collections are good examples of original and imaginative world building.Clap

Edited by TheProgtologist - October 14 2014 at 14:41

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 08:58
Right now I'm somewhere between a third and halfways through this:

As usual for Chandler, the plot's something of a mess being more of a way to tie together a lot of vaguely meditations of the human condition's most desparate corners. The man could write the pants off most other crime novelists who ever lived when it came to prose and characterization, though, at times it feels like epic poetry as filtered through the ramblings of a disillusioned old drunk at a late night bar.

When I'm done with this I've got a bunch of nonfiction books (unrelated to the master's thesis I'm writing right now) and detective novels by other authors to read.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:03

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 283284285286287 320>