Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 286287288
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 06:32
This is what I am reading right now:

A very accessible and occasionally humourous walkthrough of all the folklore and urban legends that arose about WW2 when it was going on, also studying how all those tall tales evolved both through sociology and journalism. Since the author is British, the lion's share of the legends covered center on the UK, but he has clearly done his research on myths of both civilian and military origin. The release of quite a few formerly secret military intelligence documents allow him to finally clear up many of the latter.
"I'd throw the towel in, but they stole my damn towel." - Ann Sterzinger
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 05:51

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 21:30
Had to put aside the Dune book for a day or so,Simon R. Green just released his second volume of short stories.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 21:46
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 05:25
Current reading material:

I'm totally green when it comes to this entire meditation thing, and was recommended the book in question by another PA forumite as an intro. I'm somewhat suspicious of something this New Age-y, and get the impression that Selby has had to boil down the teaching of those "seven masters" to the extent he represents them very selectively if not in a way that's more his own teachings than those, but quite a few of the advice and exercises listed here have proven useful so far even if I'm not very far into the program yet.

A book trying to explain through evolutionary psychology how people form their moral worldviews, and why the same processes result in very different convictions. I'm automatically suspicious of this kind of sociobiological literature because many of the resulting explanations give off a "too good to be true", not to mention that they usually turn out to be rooted in some serious stretches when the methodology is examined closer, but some of the studies he references and thoughts are very thought-provoking. I can see why some of my favourite philosophical bloggers like Scott Alexander and Sarah Perry are so fond of this book. I'm still not sure I buy them completely yet, though, and Haidt's way of thinking about political loyalties is extremely UK/US-centric even when he tries thinking outside those boxes.

I've developed a fascination with the Cossacks over the last year, so I finally sat down to read a book about their history. It's really interesting how the Cossacks' social structures have changed over their lengthy history, showing both the influence of Central Asian steppe nomads and European feudalism as well as the third wheel of Russian attempts at modernization. That they in particular held on to a code derived from a mishmash of those two cultural worldviews, even by Eastern European standards, appears to have been a major source of political friction between the Cossack Hosts and the central Imperial Russian bureaucracy as it tried to Westernize its military.
"I'd throw the towel in, but they stole my damn towel." - Ann Sterzinger
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 22:03

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 00:18

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 02:58

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 286287288
  Share Topic