Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 289290291292293 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 04:59
I assume the cover art to that Québec Metal book is done by Away from Voivod? Certainly looks like his style.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 14:36
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

yeah, thats definitely Away

Edited by mithrandir - March 29 2015 at 14:39
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 14:39
Imajica by Clive Barker - one of those books I started a long time ago, got about 50 pages in and never came back to it, well finally decided to give it another go and it turned out to be quite an undertaking with plenty of moving parts, smaller mysteries revealed which only lead into bigger mysteries, the world(s) were vast and like all Clive Barker he does a good job at really making you feel like there are other worlds or dimensions that lie beneath the surface that we are not aware of but are still somehow vital to and effect the world in which we live, the story is also told both forward and backwards over time leading up to a one giant epic circle of a tale, the only minor problems I had were the characters could be a touch flat, I actually found some of the 2ndary characters more interesting than the 3 primary ones, and the "feminist" conclusion was a bit, eh... I wish Mr Barker would have found the solution more in "Balance" than leaving it off with one side overtaking the other... aside from all that, when all was said and done I found it all quite beautiful and kind of moving...

Edited by mithrandir - March 29 2015 at 17:49
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 19:33
Finished Aubrey Powell's Hipgnosis/Portraits.  A difficult read, not only because of the awkward, heavy coffee table size of the thing.  Powell's insights to the business side and Rock 'n Roll lifestyle, egos and bluff, took away from the magic of the collective art.  It's not surprising to hear him describe his distaste for progressive music, subtle though it was.  With Storm dead and other graphic artists ignored or minimized, I feel some of the story is missing.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 14:46

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 08:39
Fantastic read. Enjoyed every bit of it. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 09:14
^ I was thinking about reading that one, after I finish 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 09:26
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Fantastic read. Enjoyed every bit of it. 

If you haven't read them I recommend Childhoods End and Rendezvous With Rama....both by Clarke.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 09:32
Will begin reading this on my days off:

and finish off this dated but charming collection!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 12:48
^ Better than the Fantastic Four movies? Tongue
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 12:52
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Better than the Fantastic Four movies? Tongue

Meow!

I don't think those films are dreadful, Sam! I mean, they're not very really good either, but I can appreciate that they're kind of light and colourful, easy for families to watch! Breezy, fun and entertaining - I can dig it! Was also good that the Thing wasn't a CGI character!

And to be honest...I think those throaway films will be better than the upcoming `reboot' FF movie. Lord, the trailers look so drab and dreary, deadly serious as well!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 13:01
I don't think they are bad either, it's entertaining like you say. At least back then Marvel didn't release a ton of mediocre movies every year like now. The first one was released ten years ago already Shocked The only Marvel movie I'm interested to see now is Deadpool Wink
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 15:52
Recently read this one:

Quickly followed by this one:

Nearly finished this one: 

And will soon start this one:

'Lonesome Dove' was a deserving winner of the Pulitzer Prize.  The other two (and hopefully the one I haven't read yet) maintain the high quality.  This is a fantastic sequence of novels.  Characterisation is second to none; the plots are fast-paced and exciting (and at times shockingly violent) and you learn an awful lot about the troubled history of Mid -19th Century Texas.  Just brilliant!!!!

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - April 07 2015 at 15:55
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 13:40
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 03:26
Last night I read this dystopian short story by the criminally underrated American horror author Ann Sterzinger. It takes place in a futuristic women's prison, and is narrated first-person by what might be a future incarnation of the writer herself.

It looks like Sterzinger's currently working on a full-length novel version of the same concept, by the way. The one novel of hers I read, The Talkative Corpse, had some issues but was otherwise very very good so I'm curious to see where she goes next.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 18:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 16:39
Those McMurtry books are really good.Went on a binge with them a few years ago after very belatedly reading Lonesome Dove.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:59

A rather cryptic read for me at times but very interesting nonetheless.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 18:54

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 23:51
A new Simon R. Green series....awesome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 289290291292293 320>