Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 16:25
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

A new Simon R. Green series....awesome

Damn..I still haven't finished all the Drood and Nightside books and he's starting another series....I'm getting ready to read the latest Drood book...as soon as I finish what I'm reading now.
Et In Arcadia Ego
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 16:26
TheMagicians.jpg
Et In Arcadia Ego
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 05:56
Finished reading Ann Radcliffe's A Sicilian Romance yesterday. It was hell overdue at the library because I've been moving the last couple weeks and didn't get to finish it until afterwards unlike planned, but it was quite entertaining: Once you get used to the purple prose and constant philosophical/religious stream-of-consciousness meditation it's quite the page-turner, and I find it remarkable that many of the same storytelling techniques and plot structures invented by late-18th/early-19th century gothic novels can be recognized in modern crime/horror pulp fiction.

It was a somewhat strange experience from a book that's an Oxford World's Classic, though, finding out that kind of literature was apparently considered "high culture" back then but somewhere around the Industrial Revolution got re-assigned to the status of lowbrow kitsch fit mostly for the trashy pulp magazines according to the "true art is realistic" mentality arising at the same time. I'd also say that Radcliffe's writing is way above the level of most so categorized today, other than the fact that I don't think the "show don't tell" principle had been invented back in her day.

Next up, I'll probably finish that anthology of crime/horror short stories compiled by Alfred Hitchcock.
"Sanity is the ability to believe whatever outlandish things the people around you believe." - Sarah Perry
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 18:12
finally getting into some of the Star Wars extended universe stuff, though the word is that everything written up to now will no longer be considered Star Wars "Canon", but rather just "Myths".   One of the things I imagine Lucas regrets about selling all the rights to Disney.

Darthplagueis-cover

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292
  Share Topic