Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 18:16
^^^ Back when vampires were scary... LOL I used to be affraid of sci-fi stuff when I was child, the future seemed really scary. Now it's a genre I really like Smile It reminds me I never finished "Do Android Dream Of Electric Sheep?": I went to town last month to get my car fixed and had to wait, so I spent my time reading at the public library Tongue

^^ What's the book about?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 18:32
Sci-Fi is what really rocked my boat man as a kid.  Heinlein got me.. but it was Asimov that connected..

still far and away my favorite book series.. ever...  I'd read these.. with the ELO 2 album in the headphones.. and be taken instantaneously away...

Edited by micky - July 27 2015 at 18:33
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 18:38
^ I saw some of those the other day but they didn't have the first one. I did bought a book that only had "Dune" written on the cover, but it turns out it's the third one... Portuguese editions FTW Ouch
I started with Jules Verne when I was around 10 Thumbs Up
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 18:49
Yes, Micky, not only first time reading The Shining as firts time reading Stephen King.

I always give priority to Brazilian writers (with exception of Sartre), when I saw the shining in a bookshop with a great retro cover, I bought it.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 18:53
yeah... I actually studied to be a mathematician because of those books.  I was going to be the one to predict the course of history... then get exiled by the President of the United States to some private ocean island with a government stipend and a kick ass stereo system and just count the waves during the day and the stars at night.

oh the dreams of youth....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 18:57
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Yes, Micky, not only first time reading The Shining as firts time reading Stephen King.

I always give priority to Brazilian writers (with exception of Sartre), when I saw the shining in a bookshop with a great retro cover, I bought it.

Clap

you'll love it..fabulous book... then you next should  read The Stand...Clap then likely reread it again to let it the morosely majestic death throes of mankind and civilization  wash over you and also to 'get' the quite interesting 2nd half of the book.

Edited by micky - July 27 2015 at 18:57
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 19:02
My father is a great fan of Stephen King. He has "The Stand", which, curiously, the translation in Brazil is "The Dance of Death".

Eventually I'll borrow from him.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 19:05

My father is a great fan of Stephen King. He has "The Stand", which, curiously, the translation in Brazil is "The Dance of Death".

Eventually I'll borrow from him.

Thumbs Up

GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 19:09
By the way, if I may suggest an author: people who like 19th centhury literature, search for Machado de Assis. There are english translations for his works, and he is (in my humble opinion) the greater brazilian writer of all times.

And maybe one of the best of the 19th centhury.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 19:24
do the translations capture the greatness of the original... in its original language.  I'm not translator.. Raff is.. but depending on the skill and knowledge of the translator.. the greatness can easily be lost. I heard many stories from Raff as she worked on, and alongside many book translations between Italian and English and well..  most translators seem to have very little talent for it.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 20:13
Oh yes... sadly. And Machado de Assis is known by his great writting. To talk beneath and beyond what is written...

There were recently translations of him, but I dont know of their quality.

Você poderia aprender português, talvez fosse mais fácil.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 23:54
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^ What's the book about?

For reasons I won't go into, people have to evacuate earth in a not-too-distant future, and the book is about how the lucky survivors survive in space, that kind of thing. It's definitely sci-fi for people who like scientific explanations and at least somewhat realistic situations.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 04:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah... I actually studied to be a mathematician because of those books.  I was going to be the one to predict the course of history... then get exiled by the President of the United States to some private ocean island with a government stipend and a kick ass stereo system and just count the waves during the day and the stars at night.

oh the dreams of youth....
LOL

I always give priority to Brazilian writers (with exception of Sartre), when I saw the shining in a bookshop with a great retro cover, I bought it.
Strangely, we never translated the title here, I didn't know you did Tongue

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

For reasons I won't go into, people have to evacuate earth in a not-too-distant future, and the book is about how the lucky survivors survive in space, that kind of thing. It's definitely sci-fi for people who like scientific explanations and at least somewhat realistic situations. 
It sounds interesting, I'll look for it Smile The synopsis reminds me of José Cid's "10.000 Anos Depois..." concept Thumbs Up
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirillov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 04:40
I'm re-reading Don Quixote  at the moment (in English translation!) I enjoyed it the first time, but I'm finding it somewhat hard-going now.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 09:07
I highly recommend "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Brontë. She is seriously underrated as the minor Brontë sister, probably because that book was way ahead of its time (about at least a hundred years). She is definitely on par with her more famous sisters Emily and Charlotte. Helen Graham, the main female character, is an absolutely modern woman. For a woman to leave her husband with the kid was absolutely unthinkable in England at the time the book first appeared. A married woman did not have any property at that time (anything she might have owned went into possession of the husband with the marriage); she was almost like a slave to her husband. So that novel must have been incredibly daring at that time it appeared.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 13:49
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I highly recommend "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Brontë. She is seriously underrated as the minor Brontë sister, probably because that book was way ahead of its time (about at least a hundred years). She is definitely on par with her more famous sisters Emily and Charlotte. Helen Graham, the main female character, is an absolutely modern woman. For a woman to leave her husband with the kid was absolutely unthinkable in England at the time the book first appeared. A married woman did not have any property at that time (anything she might have owned went into possession of the husband with the marriage); she was almost like a slave to her husband. So that novel must have been incredibly daring at that time it appeared.

As a matter of fact, at the moment I'm reading Charlotte's book Shirley which is quite well written.
I have the Anne Brontë book at home but haven't read it yet.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 14:22
^^^^ Yes Meltdowner, here in Brazil we do translate nearly everything (in terms of titles): books, movies... but not music. Albums and the name of the tracks are mantain. But in Argentina I know that they are translated.

Jethro Tull's With you there to help me became: Con usted para ayudarme.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 14:33
^ We do exactly that, but that one is an exception Tongue It's funny, in Spain they do that too: I bought Kansas' Point of Known Return last year in Spain and it's written in the cover "Incluye 'Polvo en el Viento'" LOL
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 19:24
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Sci-Fi is what really rocked my boat man as a kid.  Heinlein got me.. but it was Asimov that connected..

still far and away my favorite book series.. ever...  I'd read these.. with the ELO 2 album in the headphones.. and be taken instantaneously away...

Any thoughts on Piers Anthony's classic Bio of a Space Tyrant series, Farmer's Riverworld saga or Pohl's fabulous Hechee books?

Edited by Windhawk - July 28 2015 at 19:24
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 06:54
This weekend I started reading:

Collection of Thompson's journalistic work in the 1970s that didn't fit into his long-form reportage books. The man's classic political reportage I need to dig into more, because they're not just very funny but his observations on the internal cultural divides within the United States and how political power struggles in the country are rooted in those are very sharp. Even though the political coalitions have shifted, following the current primary election drama in the US it's clear the same cultural faultlines are at work.

I've quite enjoyed Gogol's short stories, so I finally got around to reading this satirical novel he wrote about the exploits of a con artist in Imperial Russia. I can definitely understand how this was an inspiration for Franz Kafka, I think I like Gogol's rather pictoresque and elegant writing style more over Kafka's dryness. It's also very informative as far as social conditions in the Russian Empire go, despite the characters being exaggerated caricatures, which gives the whole thing a very different feel from the more symbolistic and allegorical atmosphere Kafka's stories have. The main character's fraud scheme only makes any sense in a feudal system's social structure.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 320>