Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 19:57
Just finished "The Shining"... boy... I do get a lot of tension and stuff...

But in the end, I actually fell warm and sme tears came in my eyes... anyone else got this feeling?
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:05
^ Been too long since I've read it so I can't tell (a classic read for sure).

Saw the movie a million times, though. As good (if not better) as the book imo.
Which story do you prefer?
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:07
I'll re-watch the movie (long time) then I comment here Wink
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 21:14
Sci-Fi was certainly my thing back in those halcyon days of yore. Have to wholeheartedly agree with Mickey re the Foundation Trilogy. Absolutely superb. There may be stuff to equal it but nothing to surpass.

While I don't read much sci-fi these days one of my favourite authors of straight fiction is Ian Banks who also writes Sci-Fi under the name Ian M Banks. It's not bang bang shoot  em up stuff but it is extremely well written, as is his literature.

The other series I recall with some affection was the Brian Aldis trilogy "Helliconia" but it's been a long time between reads.

Edited by t d wombat - August 07 2015 at 17:25
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 21:38
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Interesting, but mostly it was repeating the same idea until the end.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 08:16
It also led to the creation of the Food and Drug Administration by the US gov't under I think it was Franklin Roosevelt's administration? The chapter where a worker fell into a processing plant, ending up in the canned lard the company was making as a result, must really have rustled FDR's jimmies.
"The bigger you build the bonfire, the more darkness is revealed." - Terence McKenna
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 08:48
Kill City Blues .......by Rich Kadrey....a Sandman Slim novel.
Et In Arcadia Ego
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 13:07
Current reading material:

Anthology of Danish crime short stories all set in the nation's capital, quite a few by authors usually not associated with the genre. Most of those I've read so far feel more like vignettes than conventional narratives, but they make good use of the cultural and social divisions that exist within such a homogenous and stable country. Not to mention that there's a great degree of variety in writing styles or at least "cultural sensibilities" among the individual authors.

Discovered this British philosopher, and apparently an early Occidental convert to Buddhism at the same time as the Beats perhaps a bit earlier, though the doom metal group YOB whose lyrics are very often inspired by his writing. I'm glad I did, because otherwise the recommendation of Deepak goddamn Chopra would have scared me away! Alan Watts seems to be first and foremost occupied with how much of how we experience time and the self's identity through culturally constructed categories, that we need to find a way of going back to a more direct immediate relationship to reality. As a matter of fact, he kind of reminds me of Robert Anton Wilson without the goofy humour and far-left politics...

Judas Priest are known for being rather secretive compared to most metal groups of their generation, so the author has been forced to rely on the testimony of former members in particular Al Atkins who fronted the band before Rob Halford. There's almost as much on the entire hard rock scene in Birmingham in the 1970s that JP came out of, as on the group and their music, but it's interesting to see what sort of surrounding cultural context informed them since they represented a much bigger break with rock tradition than Black Sabbath or Deep Purple.
"The bigger you build the bonfire, the more darkness is revealed." - Terence McKenna
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296
  Share Topic