Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 19:57
Just finished "The Shining"... boy... I do get a lot of tension and stuff...

But in the end, I actually fell warm and sme tears came in my eyes... anyone else got this feeling?
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:05
^ Been too long since I've read it so I can't tell (a classic read for sure).

Saw the movie a million times, though. As good (if not better) as the book imo.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 20:07
I'll re-watch the movie (long time) then I comment here Wink
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 21:14
Sci-Fi was certainly my thing back in those halcyon days of yore. Have to wholeheartedly agree with Mickey re the Foundation Trilogy. Absolutely superb. There may be stuff to equal it but nothing to surpass.

While I don't read much sci-fi these days one of my favourite authors of straight fiction is Ian Banks who also writes Sci-Fi under the name Ian M Banks. It's not bang bang shoot  em up stuff but it is extremely well written, as is his literature.

The other series I recall with some affection was the Brian Aldis trilogy "Helliconia" but it's been a long time between reads.

Edited by t d wombat - August 07 2015 at 17:25
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 21:38
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Interesting, but mostly it was repeating the same idea until the end.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 08:16
It also led to the creation of the Food and Drug Administration by the US gov't under I think it was Franklin Roosevelt's administration? The chapter where a worker fell into a processing plant, ending up in the canned lard the company was making as a result, must really have rustled FDR's jimmies.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 08:48
Kill City Blues .......by Rich Kadrey....a Sandman Slim novel.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 13:07
Current reading material:

Anthology of Danish crime short stories all set in the nation's capital, quite a few by authors usually not associated with the genre. Most of those I've read so far feel more like vignettes than conventional narratives, but they make good use of the cultural and social divisions that exist within such a homogenous and stable country. Not to mention that there's a great degree of variety in writing styles or at least "cultural sensibilities" among the individual authors.

Discovered this British philosopher, and apparently an early Occidental convert to Buddhism at the same time as the Beats perhaps a bit earlier, though the doom metal group YOB whose lyrics are very often inspired by his writing. I'm glad I did, because otherwise the recommendation of Deepak goddamn Chopra would have scared me away! Alan Watts seems to be first and foremost occupied with how much of how we experience time and the self's identity through culturally constructed categories, that we need to find a way of going back to a more direct immediate relationship to reality. As a matter of fact, he kind of reminds me of Robert Anton Wilson without the goofy humour and far-left politics...

Judas Priest are known for being rather secretive compared to most metal groups of their generation, so the author has been forced to rely on the testimony of former members in particular Al Atkins who fronted the band before Rob Halford. There's almost as much on the entire hard rock scene in Birmingham in the 1970s that JP came out of, as on the group and their music, but it's interesting to see what sort of surrounding cultural context informed them since they represented a much bigger break with rock tradition than Black Sabbath or Deep Purple.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 02:59
Just finished the first book in the Otherland series by Tad Williams, City of Golden Shadow. It was a good enjoyable read, the characters grew on me as the movie went on and the story was pretty solid. I'll work my way through the other three novels in time, but I think I'm going to read something else first...maybe Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, just picked that up tonight.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 08:42
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Just finished the first book in the Otherland series by Tad Williams, City of Golden Shadow. It was a good enjoyable read, the characters grew on me as the movie went on and the story was pretty solid. I'll work my way through the other three novels in time, but I think I'm going to read something else first...maybe Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, just picked that up tonight.

I have enjoyed all of John  le Carre's early novels especially the ones about George Smiley.
Thumbs Up

currently reading....

Edited by dr wu23 - September 21 2015 at 08:44
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 08:57
Right now I am reading...

Another book in the 33½ series providing in-depth analysis of an influential LP. This one focuses on the cultural development of the recording industry back in the mid/late 60s behind how rock history evolved back then, as well as the cultural differences between the US and UK whose respective backgrounds would be reflected in the creative process of the Experience. There's also some stuff about the advances in recording technology that Hendrix didn't start actively utilizing until this album.

Anthology of HST's shorter articles and occasional prose fiction from the 1950s up to the 1980s. It's in particular curious reading his earliest, more conventional work and how he evolved into the more characteristic creative voice that established him as a "brand name" in the 1960s. Also, since half of the news stories here in Europe right now revolve around the Syrian refugee crisis... it's really interesting to read HST's stories about both the Vietnamese and Cuban refugee crises in the 1970s and 1980s since there's many of the same ethical dilemmas coming up then and now.

The second entry in Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö's series about the police detective Martin Beck. I'm already finding this one much more interesting than the first one Roseanna, because it takes so much advantage with the sociopolitical context of its time and place: The plot involved Beck investigating a Swedish journalist disappearing opposite side of the Iron Curtain, resulting in some interesting exploration of not just the Cold War power politics but also many of the repercussions of WW2. The writing quality is also more involved, and the plot faster-moving with less clunky exposition. I can now definitely see why this series is so respected!

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 22 2015 at 03:55
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 20:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have enjoyed all of John  le Carre's early novels especially the ones about George Smiley.
Thumbs Up

currently reading....

I'm sure I'll end up enjoying the Smiley novels, but instead of starting that, I started reading The Broom of the System, by David Foster Wallace. So far it's gone much better than my previous attempts at reading Infinite Jest, and I think (though I'm probably wrong) it's gonna be a good primer, introducing me to, if nothing else, DFW's grammatical and linguistic style, some of his sense of humor, etc. I know it's nowhere near the same level of complexity as Infinite Jest, and that book will probably still bog me down, but I'm going to try again sometime after October.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 21:59
Toaster, most of those 33 1/3s that I've read are pretty good.  There is one, for Tusk, that was laughably bad. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 22:07
 I'm just in the process of finishing off "the Vengeance of Rome" the final book in Michael Moorcock's series "The Pyat Quartet" . For those of you who only know MC for his sci-fi/fantasy work these volumes are something of a change of direction albeit remaining in the realm of fantasy and Pyat himself is something of a reincarnation of MC's Eternal Champion. In this however, our champion is portrayed as an imbittered old man, self proclaimed friend lover and confidante of the early 20th century's elite. Now however Pyat is living in exile in London shacked up with Jerry Cornelius' mother. Banished from his beloved Russia and essentially reduced to penury he is now as are his faded dreams and schemes reduced to nothing but objects of ridicule.
Good stuff. Worth the effort.

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 03:54
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Toaster, most of those 33 1/3s that I've read are pretty good.  There is one, for Tusk, that was laughably bad. 

My favourite ones were those for Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Jethro Tull's Aqualung. In particular because the PF one focuses less on the personal neuroses of Syd Barrett and Roger Waters, instead on the nuts-and-bolts of the creative process involved in recording the album as well as what the technical personnel contributed.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 22 2015 at 03:56
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 11:07

Thumbs Up

currently reading....

I'm sure I'll end up enjoying the Smiley novels, but instead of starting that, I started reading The Broom of the System, by David Foster Wallace. So far it's gone much better than my previous attempts at reading Infinite Jest, and I think (though I'm probably wrong) it's gonna be a good primer, introducing me to, if nothing else, DFW's grammatical and linguistic style, some of his sense of humor, etc. I know it's nowhere near the same level of complexity as Infinite Jest, and that book will probably still bog me down, but I'm going to try again sometime after October.

I know what you mean.....I tried reading Infinite Jest some years ago and never got past page 60 or so. It's like reading James Joyce's Ulysses....takes an effort.
These days I have decided to give up the 'serious' novels and read the 'fun' ones.'
Smile
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 11:09
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

I'm just in the process of finishing off "the Vengeance of Rome" the final book in Michael Moorcock's series "The Pyat Quartet" . For those of you who only know MC for his sci-fi/fantasy work these volumes are something of a change of direction albeit remaining in the realm of fantasy and Pyat himself is something of a reincarnation of MC's Eternal Champion. In this however, our champion is portrayed as an imbittered old man, self proclaimed friend lover and confidante of the early 20th century's elite. Now however Pyat is living in exile in London shacked up with Jerry Cornelius' mother. Banished from his beloved Russia and essentially reduced to penury he is now as are his faded dreams and schemes reduced to nothing but objects of ridicule.

Hmmm...I might have to try one of those.....I see Ackroyd liked them and I am fan of Peter Ackroyd's work.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 12:57
David Foster Wallace also seems to be no longer seen as a very highbrow author for that matter, but instead someone whom low-status people read to "snob upwards". Jack Kerouac seems to be in that position now too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 16:56

Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

I'm just in the process of finishing off "the Vengeance of Rome" the final book in Michael Moorcock's series "The Pyat Quartet" . For those of you who only know MC for his sci-fi/fantasy work these volumes are something of a change of direction albeit remaining in the realm of fantasy and Pyat himself is something of a reincarnation of MC's Eternal Champion. In this however, our champion is portrayed as an imbittered embittered old man, self proclaimed friend lover and confidante of the early 20th century's elite. Now however Pyat is living in exile in London shacked up with Jerry Cornelius' mother. Banished from his beloved Russia and essentially reduced to penury he is now as are his faded dreams and schemes reduced to nothing but objects of ridicule.

Hmmm...I might have to try one of those.....I see Ackroyd liked them and I am fan of Peter Ackroyd's work.

Me too. Huge admirer of almost everything he has written, at least that which I've read. The only thing of his that I really ddn't get into was "Milton in America". That one simply did not work for me.  Otoh, his non fiction is well on the way to being as good as it gets. I've yet to read the second and third volumes of his History of England but Volume One along with his "biographies" of Londan and the Thames are simply wonderful. (Yes, I'm Australian but my mother was born in London and the place still fascinates me.) "Venice" is also excellent while his various works on Dickens finally enabled me to appreciate the man.

As for Moorcock, I read very little fantasy these days but when I was a young bloke Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" series was a major favourite of mine. The whole order v chaos theme utterly fascinated me at the time.
Andrew B

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 17:41
Thinking of Michael Moorcock and his fantasy fiction reminded me of one of the very few works of fantasy that really enthralled me in later years.

China Mieville's "Perdido St Station" . Alternative world, alternative history with dollops of magic and alchemy mixed in with steampunk technology.

Andrew B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 320>