Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 21:49
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

David Foster Wallace also seems to be no longer seen as a very highbrow author for that matter, but instead someone whom low-status people read to "snob upwards". Jack Kerouac seems to be in that position now too.

I don't really know what people consider him, but so far I'm considering Broom of the System a really funny book...my favorite character so far is a cockatiel, though...LOL
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 02:31
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

David Foster Wallace also seems to be no longer seen as a very highbrow author for that matter, but instead someone whom low-status people read to "snob upwards". Jack Kerouac seems to be in that position now too.

I don't really know what people consider him, but so far I'm considering Broom of the System a really funny book...my favorite character so far is a cockatiel, though...LOL

Looks like that's the number one stereotype about DFW's readers today. Just like how it's a common belief that Bret Easton Ellis' fanbase consists almost entirely of the exact same subculture his books make fun of.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 22:47
Oh well, let people think what they will and stereotype everyone away, I'm going to keep reading what books I find enjoyable regardless of who they're by or what people think of the author's readers. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 13:25
Other authors who appear to fallen into that category right now include Roberto Bolano, Jonathan Franzen, Ernest Hemingway, Haruki Murakami, Joyce Carol Oates, Flannery O'Connor, Chuck Palahniuk and Kurt Vonnegut. Maybe also Thomas Pynchon now that the film version of Inherent Vice came out.

I'm rather fascinated with the process how the "high culture/low culture" hierarchy is constructed, and how the borderlines seem to shift throughout, hence why I pay so much attention to something like this.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 15:25

Hmm...that seems like a snobbish remark itself to me.....but maybe I'm misreading you.
Who do you consider 'low-status' people and how does that apply to people simply wanting to read good novels..? Are you implying that only 'high-status' people should read the so-called high brow authors...???

Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 21:56

I'm rather fascinated with the process how the "high culture/low culture" hierarchy is constructed, and how the borderlines seem to shift throughout, hence why I pay so much attention to something like this.

Yeah, I'm just interested in one thing when it comes to books: do I like the book? If the answer is yes, good. If the answer is no, oh well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 01:37
That's not my opinion on DFW, but how I most often hear other people talk about him.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2015 at 03:16
Then again, I guess I'm not one to talk since this is what I started reading this weekend:

British spy novel from the mid-1960s that's apparently based on several conspiracy theories that were very popular at the time? Its concept revolves around a bunch of expert scientist and engineers involved with a mysterious Australian corporation disappearing without a trace, which sounds like it could have been an influence on the Alternative 3 hoax that would pop up a decade later. The plot follows the MI6 agent tasked with finding out what happened to them.

I'm not very far in, but the overall tone and feel is very similar to the earliest James Bond movies with Sean Connery in them if not quite as campy.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 04:10

THE THRILLING ADVENTURES OF LOVELACE AND BABBAGE

The (Mostly) True Story of the First Computer
Padua imagines a world where Charles Babbage completes his difference engine and Ada Lovelace writes the programs that make it work. Together they use it to have thrilling adventures and fight crime. Yup. it's a graphic novel, rendered in print from Padua's 2D Goggles webcomic, but it carries over the extensive and heavily researched footnotes and endnotes from the website that ties the imagined Victorian steam-punk world into the real world of Queen Victoria, The Iron Duke and host of other notable figures from that era¹ that make it a fascinating historical read for those who like a little wordy-depth to their comics (hence why I post this here and not in the comic recommendation thread... it's a comic with more words to read than pictures to gorp at). 

I make no bones that I like Syndey Padua's style, I love her drawings and love her research notes equally as much, and I love the reason she gives for those copious notes, as she says in the preface: 'I started doodling ideas at odd hours and found that drawing a webcomic was an excellent way to avoid working on other seemingly more serious things. Better still, I discovered that research was an excellent way to put-off working on the comic that I was drawing in order to procrastinate'

¹...and it has an Isambard Kingdom Brunel that owes a lot to Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine  to boot:

What?
Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 16:00
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde (in Portuguese).
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 20:50

Tougher than most guys.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 21:30
I read "Purity" by Jonathan Franzen. 

The last book I managed to actually finish was his "Freedom" which was upper echelon for me, though sadly Purity was a bit of a let down. I've let it digest enough to say that I don't say that just in comparison, it wasn't a strong book is all. 

t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 18:44
Mentioned China Mieville a couple of pages back and since than have read his "The City & The City".  Weird, but good weird. Have his "Embassytown" in the waiting to be read pile.

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 18:47
btw ... has anyone read this or any of his work ?

Edited by t d wombat - October 11 2015 at 19:55
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 09:05
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 18:47
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Any thoughts on Piers Anthony's classic Bio of a Space Tyrant series, Farmer's Riverworld saga or Pohl's fabulous Hechee books?

I havn't read any of Pohl but I went looking for one of the Heechee books and somehow or other ended up with a Poul Anderson thing called Refugee. Man, banality does not do it justice. I really hate not finishing a book, even one I am not enjoying but man I am so tempted with this one.

Getting hold of FP's Heechee stuff is not easy. Kobo certainly has very little and none of that is the Heechee series.

(Just found a mob called Baen Books. They have pretty much all of FP available in EPub format.)

Edited by t d wombat - October 13 2015 at 19:48
Andrew B

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 12:18
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Any thoughts on Piers Anthony's classic Bio of a Space Tyrant series, Farmer's Riverworld saga or Pohl's fabulous Hechee books?
------------------------------

I've read some Anthony I enjoyed  but never read the Space Tyrant series .
Riverworld was a fun read and they have made at least 2 tv adaptations for the sci-fi channel that were fairly good.
I read 2 of the 'Hechee' books a long time ago ...recall them being ok but don't recall any other details...Pohl books are generally pretty  good thoug i don't read much hard core sci-fi anymore.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 12:24
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Mentioned China Mieville a couple of pages back and since than have read his "The City & The City".  Weird, but good weird. Have his "Embassytown" in the waiting to be read pile.

I read the Scar a few years ago....been meaning to read another one of his novels.....City sounds like a good weird one and I also hear Iron Council is good.

PS: For those interested in well written sci-fi I highly recommend the Culture series by Ian Banks....very well written in depth 'space opera' about a very advanced humanoid galactic civilization encompassing politics, social aspects, science, etc. .......one of my all time favorite series.

Edited by dr wu23 - October 14 2015 at 12:29
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 20:16
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

I read the Scar a few years ago....been meaning to read another one of his novels.....City sounds like a good weird one and I also hear Iron Council is good.

PS: For those interested in well written sci-fi I highly recommend the Culture series by Ian Banks....very well written in depth 'space opera' about a very advanced humanoid galactic civilization encompassing politics, social aspects, science, etc. .......one of my all time favorite series.

If you havn't read Perdido St station then that is the place to start. An absolute rip snorter of a book.

Clap Thumbs Up Clap  ... is all I can say about Banks. I cannot think of another writer of general fiction whose work I have enjoyed more and his SciFi Culture books are damn near as good. (For anyone looking his general fiction is written under Iain Banks and SciFi under Iain M Banks.)

Damn ... my pile of to read is getting larger by the day.

Edited by t d wombat - October 14 2015 at 20:27
Andrew B

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 14:48
Second the recommendation of Iain M. Banks, I think The Player of Games is my favourite novel of his. I've been seeing some of Mieville's novels when I go to the nearest public library, and they look interesting from the descriptions on the cover.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 320>