Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 20:22
A wonderful biography

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 06:38
Inside Laurel Canyon (a web book) subsequently released as Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon: Laurel Canyon, Covert Ops & the Dark Heart of the Hippie Dream.  Ahem, a most interesting read, more interesting than a LeCarre spy thriller. ;) Wonder if there's a prog rock/70s equivalent of this book (which pertains to the mid 60s as the title indicates) because it seems to have been going on since the beginning of time.  Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 08:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Inside Laurel Canyon (a web book) subsequently released as Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon: Laurel Canyon, Covert Ops & the Dark Heart of the Hippie Dream.  Ahem, a most interesting read, more interesting than a LeCarre spy thriller. ;) Wonder if there's a prog rock/70s equivalent of this book (which pertains to the mid 60s as the title indicates) because it seems to have been going on since the beginning of time.  Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Is it about the lifestyle of the rich and drugged....?
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 08:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink

That's kind of touched upon but it's incidental.  More to do with the illustrious lineage of these bleeding heart 'peacenicks' who all gathered in Laurel Canyon for some reason at the time and created a music scene where there was none before.  
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 12:23

Wink

That's kind of touched upon but it's incidental.  More to do with the illustrious lineage of these bleeding heart 'peacenicks' who all gathered in Laurel Canyon for some reason at the time and created a music scene where there was none before.  

Sounds interesting.....I assume people like the Eagles, CSNY, Joni Mitchell, etc are the focus...?
I might have to ck it out.

I cked out the book....https://www.amazon.com/Weird-Scenes-Inside-Canyon-Laurel/dp/1909394122
definitely will pick that one up.....I listened to most of those bands back in the day.

Edited by dr wu23 - June 11 2016 at 12:25
Haquin
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:14

Wink

Sounds interesting.....I assume people like the Eagles, CSNY, Joni Mitchell, etc are the focus...?
I might have to ck it out.

I cked out the book....https://www.amazon.com/Weird-Scenes-Inside-Canyon-Laurel/dp/1909394122
definitely will pick that one up.....I listened to most of those bands back in the day.

Yup, them and Doors, Zappa, the Wilsons etc.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 04:29
I am currently rereading the complete Sherlock Holmes canon. We have a bibliophile edition of the original fifty-three stories and four novels in four volumes. Just finished the second novel "The Sign of the Four".

Edited by BaldFriede - June 12 2016 at 04:34

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thwok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 07:45
We Are All Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory.  This is a great book if you're a fan of horror or darker fantasy.  It's relatively easy to read (about 180 pages), and it received a Nebula Award.  I haven't read anything else by Gregory yet, but I loved this!
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 10:17
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

A wonderful biography

I need to check that one out--as a huge Mahler fan I've always had an interest in Bruno Walter.

Currently reading:

It's a very thin novel, but slow reading. Nabokov's writing is so insanely great, you have to go slowly to savor the twisty sentence structures and drily hilarious word choices.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 16:33
Thomas Pynchon- The Crying of Lot 49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 18:13
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 18:45
Currently working my way through a list of about 200 books in areas of modern British history, modern Russian history and WWI for my qualifying exams in September. So the answer is, read too many good books lately. Would love to spend some time with some trashy novel for a change.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:00
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I am currently rereading the complete Sherlock Holmes canon. We have a bibliophile edition of the original fifty-three stories and four novels in four volumes. Just finished the second novel "The Sign of the Four".

Loved those....read them many years ago..................I highly recommend the PBS television versions with Jeremy Brett as Holmes.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:03
Originally posted by thwok thwok wrote:

We Are All Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory.  This is a great book if you're a fan of horror or darker fantasy.  It's relatively easy to read (about 180 pages), and it received a Nebula Award.  I haven't read anything else by Gregory yet, but I loved this!

Thanks for the recommendation......I like dark fantasy and horror that's well written.
I recommend the 'Sandman Slim' series by Kadrey and 'The Dresden Files' series by Butcher.
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:07
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

I'd really like to read the fictitious play "The Courier's Tragedy" by the fictitious playwright Richard Wharfinger that plays an important role in that book. It has such wonderful lines as this:

"No hallowed skein of stars can ward, I trow, / Who's once been set his tryst with Trystero"

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:11
^ I should reread that Pynchon novel....been a long time....I enjoyed V also but never managed to finish Gravity's Rainbow....nor tried any of the later ones.
Haquin
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 19:13

^ I should reread that Pynchon novel....been a long time....I enjoyed V also but never managed to finish Gravity's Rainbow....nor tried any of the later ones.

My first Pynchon book was Mason & Dixon when it came out new.  I read Bleeding Edge when it came out after that.  The Crying of Lot 49 is only my third work of his.  I always have mixed feelings in each book.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 06:52

My first Pynchon book was Mason & Dixon when it came out new.  I read Bleeding Edge when it came out after that.  The Crying of Lot 49 is only my third work of his.  I always have mixed feelings in each book.

I really loved the V-shape of "V". The two narrative strands first deal with characters that are marginal to Benny Profane and Herbert Stencil, then with more central characters, then with Profane and Stencil themselves, and finally they meet. Just like the two lines of a "V" getting closer and closer until they meet.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 15 2016 at 06:54

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 07:52
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I'd really like to read the fictitious play "The Courier's Tragedy" by the fictitious playwright Richard Wharfinger that plays an important role in that book. It has such wonderful lines as this:

"No hallowed skein of stars can ward, I trow, / Who's once been set his tryst with Trystero"

Oh, I agree, I've always loved that!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 13:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 320>