Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2017 at 01:59
I'm currently reading this:

A very interesting book about a very important scientist who is on the same level as Newton, Einstein or Darwin but almost forgotten these days. Humboldt was the first to have an holistic view of the world and thus an important precursor of the Gaia hypothesis. He had actually originally planned to give his book "Kosmos" the title "Gäa" which is German for "Gaia". He was also the world's first ecologist and environmentalist.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 01 2017 at 02:25

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2017 at 06:47
Finding time for the new biography CASANOVA, The World of a Seductive Genius by Laurence Bergreen.  Takes me back to when I read (and still own) the multi-volume collection of the complete memoirs of Casanova.  I used the memoirs as source material for my comedy play in 1976, CASANOVA'S LIPS.  The biography is very well written and contains the elements that made the original memoirs so interesting on so many levels.  Amazing history, possibly embellished.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2017 at 06:59
Nightside of Eden by Kenneth Grant

About halfway through. Seems more focused and much more creative/inspirational/entertaining than the first book of his I read (The Magical Revival). Thumbs Up
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 18:17
Salt: A World History - Kurlansky, Mark
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 22:23
Leah Remini Troublemaker

Good book about Remini's 35 years in Scientology and why she finally left the "church".
I read it in two days; much faster than my normal read.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2017 at 20:00

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 12:39
The Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 15:31
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 16:18
currently reading this-

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 09:26
It's been a while since I last posted here. I read some great books in the last few months:
Arthur Conan Doyle - Professor Challenger series (The title of the book is "The Lost World", but it turns out it has the whole series and not just the first book.)
Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle (I found his description of the two alternate pasts fascinating, with all their political/social/technological implications. I thought the ending was a bit hasty though.)
Stephen King - Under the Dome (Probably the best I read from him, it took me only three weeks to read it Embarrassed)

I'm currently reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and I'm really enjoying it. It's not as dark as I thought it would be, the Alpine landscapes have something to do with it.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 09:31
Reading this now

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 11:34
Image result for jack reacher never go back book
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 14:52
Just finished reading: Ian Gillan's The Autobiography of Deep Purple's Singer

Mr Gillan comes across as a big headed prat and the book is all about him rather than the music. I struggled to finish it as it was pretty boring reading about how much he can drink every night on tour and never have a hangover. 2/5

Just started re-reading: Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramahansa Yogananda

Read this in the 70's after Jon Anderson mentioned it in an interview and I enjoyed it but I'm more cynical now so let's see if it still resonates now.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 16:01
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 16:57

I've read like six hundred detective novels.
This one's a cool whodunit, but I've found it to be a bit on the easy side: got both the murderer and the method. Good read, though.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 17:18
General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: Extensive New Evidence of a Radical Right-wing Conspiracy

A very important and meticulously researched book; a must for anyone interested in mid-20th Century U.S. politics (couldn't find a postable cover image for the life of me) .

Edited by Atavachron - April 29 2017 at 17:18
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 17:20
I read Faulkner's As I lay Dying, Ondaatje's In the Skin of a Lion and Safran Foer's Extemely Loud and Incredibly Close in the past 2 months. All three were quite great.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 16:16
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 21:40
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy: Extensive New Evidence of a Radical Right-wing Conspiracy

A very important and meticulously researched book; a must for anyone interested in mid-20th Century U.S. politics (couldn't find a postable cover image for the life of me) .

perhaps I should be reading that instead of getting a wild hair to start reread the George R.R Martin books as I did today. LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 14:38
Hey you gotta live.   But yeah the Walker book is outstanding... and long; 800 pages, plus notes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 320>