Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 305306307308309 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 12:04

Edited by Barbu - May 22 2017 at 12:10
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 12:07
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 13:06
Currently reading some good sci-fi pulp.....Dr DOA by Simon Green.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
UselessPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UselessPassion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 17:23
K.J Bishop's surreal fantasy novel The Etched City. Following a gunslinger and a physician on the run after being on the losing side of a war, the story takes us to a strange and horrifying city called Ashamoil where our broken hero and heroine search for meaning. It's an acquired taste, but if you're willing to endure a bit of obscurity and flowery prose, it's an intelligent and well constructed novel about art, identity, rationality and spirituality, all wrapped up in a dark, dreamlike world. Reminiscent of a western with supernatural elements. It's also filled with monologues. Lots and lots of dramatic monologues. Two little moments I was fond of:

“When I came to this city, I would have agreed with anyone who said there was little mystery left in the world. But in you, madam, first in your image, then in your living self, I saw the allure of something far away and as secret as the stars. As I reached towards this unknown, I began to feel like a man who has ridden through a vast desert, never knowing anything but the sand around him and the dry road under him, then comes upon the mirage of a garden and a city, and finds that the mirage is real, and that it is bigger than the desert; that the desert was, after all his walking, only a small part of the mirage.”

“It occurred to Raule that all children were monsters in the world and were instinctively aware of it. They were reminded of their anomalous nature by adults, whom they failed to resemble, and with whose habitations and tools their bodies were at odds. This was surely why the little girl played with the sequins so solemnly and with such intense concentration. She was doing nothing less than conjuring, out of pattern and colour, a world that conformed to her desires and obeyed her will. The boy, on the other hand, showed with the whole attitude of his being that he knew there was only the one world and he would kill it if he could.” 

https://www.amazon.com/Etched-City-K-J-Bishop/dp/0553382918/ref=cm_rdp_product

Highly recommended for fans of dark fantasy or 'new weird' authors like China Mievelle. It's not for everyone, but if it clicks, it will click.
[Hyperreflective paradigm breaking profundity goes here]
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 17:14
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 19:17
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 19:39
LOL
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 04:09
An abridged translation of J. H. Fabre's Souvenirs entomologiques.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 06:50
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41696L6Dg4L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I bought this purely because I wanted some background to the Hell/Verlaine relationship in the formative stages of one of my favourite bands (Television). Similar to the testimony of 2nd guitarist Richard Lloyd, Verlaine is portrayed as a rather cold, conservative and aloof character who believes himself superior to every other creature on the planet. There must be something in the NYC water supply that makes anyone recollecting the nascent Punk/CBGB scene in the late 70's come across like a bitchy little powder room fag.
For what it's worth, Hell is a gifted and honest writer but it's hard to think of him as anything more than a commentator on contemporary fads i.e. his own contribution to culture is his only famous song Blank Generation which he filched wholesale from Bob McFadden & Rod McKuen's 'The Beat Generation' (1959), a frankly dubious claim to have invented anomie, spiky hair, ripped clothes and Punk Rock, and the crap proto-crap band 'The Voidoids' (although the lyrics are excellent on their two released albums) Hell is happily apolitical throughout and that maybe demarcates the US and the UK when it comes to the Punk mindset. Like all enfant terribles and theater ponces who pretend they can't read, Hell ended up becoming the thing he professed to despise i.e. a literary intellectual in his 70's reminiscing about the '70's. As far as what he deems to be the only authentic rock'n'roll, the usual durable luvvies are trotted out: NY Dolls, Stooges, Velvet Underground, Suicide, Reed/Bowie, Heartbreakers et al. Don't let my rabid prejudices put you off, this is an unflinching and sincere memoir centering around a time of great musical upheaval during the late 70's.

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 29 2017 at 01:07
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 15:18
I've been a little consumed by the drafting, editing and re-writing of a trilogy of visionary fiction novels that I wrote over the winter. Called The Osiris Plan trilogy, it's set in an all-boys prep school in Switzerland. The books are based on the apocalyptic premise that near-term human extinction is happening (in a combination of forms) and that there are metaphysical/spiritual reasons for the occurrence of this event, and that the youth "in the know" will want to take some action. I hope to see the first of the trilogy, Brig-Wallis Preparatory School for Boys, reach the printable stage by September, with the the second, The Heirs of Osiris to follow some three to six months later. 

Wish me luck!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 18:12
Best of luck, Drew, a well-finished bit of write is forever satisfying.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Snob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 06:03
I'm almost finished with American Gods. It was a slow start but as the book continued on it became so much more intriguing. The first chapter with him on the tree is brilliantly written.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 10:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Best of luck, Drew, a well-finished bit of write is forever satisfying.

I'll bet it is. I have lots of ideas in my head but just don't seem to have the discipline to do much in the way of writing. It seems like a lot of work. I have a good friend who has written two science fiction novels(both are on amazon). Maybe I should pick his brain a bit more. Wink 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 16:56
^ It's hard to start, but some effort and some rewriting and before you know it you have 50,000 words .

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 09:37
Just started after re-visiting the Gormenghast trlogy (which i have loved since a child)
Image result for mervyn peake vast alchemies

Just finished:
Image result for colin wilson the outsider

And have on my list for (re-reading the umpteenth time)
Image result for doris lessing canopus in argos archives

With this on the side:
Image result for ethel colquhoun goose of hermogenes

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 11:12
Halfway through SSOTBME.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 16:16
^ Finished. This was a very very good book, I'm surprised that the author isn't more talked about and that I only discovered him now.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 03:38
Just finnished Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and I'm quite underwhelmed. It's a good book, but, for a story with a title of a "classic," it's nothing special. I feel like it's just another well-written 50's dystopian SF. For me, it's exactly what Vonnegut was making fun of mentioning thousands of similar books Kilgore Trout wrote in Breakfast of Champions. Speaking of Vonnegut, Player Piano and Farenheit 451 are surprisingly pretty similar in plot, form, and concept, though I prefer the former.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - June 28 2017 at 03:38
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 14:52
Image result for paddington at large by michael bond

RIP Michael Bond; re-reading this to the grandchildren

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 15:01
One of the first Ray Bradbury books I read was 'Golden Apples of the sun' when I was about 11.. I have always felt that his style is deliberately simplistic, child-like and in a way that is what is so charming about them. I think it puts people off too because they expect 'big Sci-Fi language'. Its the concepts and the subtle ways in which they are expressed which has made me a life-long Bradbury fan. But it is in the short story that he excels.. less words and more left to your own imagination. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 305306307308309 320>