Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 13:49
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I always have to read straight through, one at a time, unless they're vastly different, say a book of poetry vs a novel.  I try to intersperse "serious" works as well, TCat.  Right now, about a third of the way in "Crime and Punishment," after discussions here, actually.  

Wow.  I haven't read C&P yet, but I'm sure it will make its way into my library.

I'm lucky that I'm a fast reader.  C&P is sort of normal sized, but really loooooooong books don't scare me, either.  Probably said something like that before in here.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 13:51
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Alright...'Gormenghast' is here...starting it this weekend....could not find a copy of 'Jerusalem' at the library.
This one might take a while.

Speaking of which, and because it will be a long time before you do read Jerusalem and will likely forget this by then, there is a wonderful line in the book.  "Sooner or later, all the people and places that we loved are finished, and the only way to keep them safe is art. That's what art's for. It rescues everything from time." 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 15:03
^ Great quote...love that.
I'll eventually get around to finding a copy of Jerusalem...but like you I have books stacked waiting to be read.
:)

Edited by dr wu23 - February 23 2019 at 15:04
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 15:48
Yeah, me too, obviously.  Stacks and stacks....but they do get dented from time to time and then start to grow again.  Big smile
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 11:51
Just started reading Revolt Against the Modern World by Julius Evola. Interesting how he has been painted as a fascist when he seems to be anything but.

Also reading the abridged edition of The Golden Bough by J. G. Frazer. Feels like something I'll be reading in short chunks and maybe finishing in a year or so. The full version with footnotes would probably be easier to get into.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 12:49

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Alright...'Gormenghast' is here...starting it this weekend....could not find a copy of 'Jerusalem' at the library.
This one might take a while.
Gormenghast will keep you plenty busy.  Some libraries will do requests and/or get from other libraries, but you probably know that.  

I recently got some paperbacks from my dad and Gormenghast was in there as well as Titus Groan and Titus Alone. At some point I'll attempt them. 
He also had a copy of The House on the Borderland by Hodgson. Looking forward to that as well.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 03:05
Bunch of stuff I read lately, all non fiction.  Never been much of a non fiction reader but after I was asked to read a couple during a management training program, I got interested all of a sudden. 

First one was Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance.  

Then, couple of months back, finished At Any Cost: Jack Welch, General Electric and the Pursuit of Profit by Thomas F O'Boyle.  

Just now got through Touched by Grace - My Time with Jeff Buckley by Gary Lucas.

Liked all three but needless to say, enjoyed the last one most. Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 01:38
Currently halfway through Jonathan Coe's latest book, Middle England, which can be seen as Rotter's Club Chapter three.

It's actually a delightful read (as usual with Coe) spawning from 2010 until I guess one year ago, encompassing the London Olympics excitement but concentrating on the Brexit and how it happened, according to JC.
It's nice to find back Benjamin and the gang after a weird and disturbing excursion into the supernatural territory of Chelsea with his previous Number 11 novel, which was written either by Edgar Allan Coe or Jonathan Poe
Oganesson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oganesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 09:53
Finally finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? after having been preoccupied with too much work. A really compelling read, especially as you get towards the middle.

I'll be starting on Camus's The Fall, in its original French.
"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle

Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 13:27
Finished the first book Titus Groan..in the Gormenghast series....enjoyed it.... Dickensian at times.
Now reading a Bryant and May Peculiar Crime Unit novel....fun detective stories set in modern London with an 'occult or archaic' twist to them.
Haquin
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 15:24

The Devil's Music Master: The Controversial Life and Career of Wilhelm Furtwangler
Book by Sam H. Shirakawa

What a complete guide to Furtwangler's musical career!.. And such a stunning recollection of decisive historical facts that changed the music course during the twentieth century, as well as the life of such a unique musician, who was undoubtedly not only one of the greatest interpreters our world has witnessed but also one of the most compelling personalities of our time.

And I feel absolutely compelled to share here some of the accurate fact recollections that evidenced such a dark fate of postwar Germany's music scene. During the horror of the Allied postwar occupation, the evil genius of EMI Records Sir Walter Legge, the British Intelligence agent who ran London's EMI Records, promoted committed Nazi Party member Herbert von Karajan as a star. Legge and his "golem" von Karajan with the recording industry, end up destroying postwar German music. While Furtwangler faded into obscurity, Karajan became one of the world's most powerful musician with an estate worth more than $270 million. And the recording industry became such a mighty money machine ...

Perhaps the greatest book that I read within the last three decades!

P.S.: Thanks a lot my friend Doug (@presdoug) for recommending me this awesome book.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 16:27
That sounds fascinating!  Thank you for letting us know.  I am ordering as soon as I'm done posting this.  
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 10:48
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 16:05

That sounds fascinating!  Thank you for letting us know.  I am ordering as soon as I'm done posting this.  

I just did, though I wish it came in softcover.

And this, more fringe than I usually care for but it looks well-researched and documented ~

Image result for kennedys last stand: eisenhower

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 16:07
Steve McQueen: A Biography

Edited by MortSahlFan - April 21 2019 at 16:07
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 16:41
Ror Wolf - Die Vorzüge der Dunkelheit. 29 Versuche die Welt zu verschlingen (The Advantages of Darkness. 29 Attempts to Devour the World). A surreal book for bibliophiles printed on high-gloss paper, with 79 collages by the author. A really wonderful book; a weird horror novel written in a very poetic language. The collages are beautiful but equally weird.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 21 2019 at 16:43

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:41
Jacques Elull - The Technological Society.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:30
I had fun reading the books by Ray Manzarek and John Densmore, simultaneously, so that I could compare their perception. Pretty fun.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 10:53
those were the days

Related image

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 11:21
I mentioned them before but I really enjoy the Bryant and May books by Chris Fowler....quirky detective novels set in contemporary London with a lot of archaic and occult info about London which ends up affecting the outcome of the cases.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 320>