Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 218219220221222 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 10:27
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I could read a book.

Only what.
Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Not sure if I can find a copy.

Cry

The Magic Mountain then.

RLY
I could pick that, actually. I've been wanting to, for some time, too.
There was a Mann novel - though not one of the classics usually mentioned - that, back in 12th grade, my special Romanian tutor called it "quite possibly the best of all time, in all aspects". But of course I didn't stick on to what that novel was.

Maybe Doctor Faustus? It’s brilliant!

And it’s a strange coincidence that you were discussing Thomas Mann just one day before I chose Adrian Leverkühn (the main person of said novel) for the Guess Person Game (I hadn’t read your posts at the time).
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 10:08
Starting some more Michael Marshall Smith now since Only Forward was so amazing.  Spares this time around. 
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 15:22
Gonna put It on hold. I'm too busy to focus on a book that takes so long to build.

Onto this:

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 16:13
^ ogmgmomgmggomggom Shocked Clap Heart
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 06:07
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Gonna put It on hold. I'm too busy to focus on a book that takes so long to build.

Onto this:

No work of Kharms was released in Brazil yet...Cry
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 14:33
Today I started:

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 22:07
Also, who can go wrong with some comic books?

Batman, Green Lantern, The Flash and Blue Beetle 4ver. <3
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 01:55
Just began Tony Bourdain's Medium Raw.  Looks promising.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 14:57
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Very good book David! I liked Kitchen Confidential a little better but Medium Raw focuses more on his life and travels after becoming a celebrity.

I have his book The Nasty Bits on my Kindle but haven't got around to reading it yet.

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:37
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Also, who can go wrong with some comic books?

Batman, Green Lantern, The Flash and Blue Beetle 4ver. <3

You need to read (yes, you NEED to readWink):

Watchmen
Incal
V for Vendetta
The Boys (best superhero critic ever!)
Some Vertigo comic books
And Lone Wolf, the greatest manga ever made!

"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 17:47

Laid down in bed last night and decided to read the first chapter to get me ready for sleep. Next thing I knew I look at the same and I notice that I'm 300 pages into the book. Finished the rest before catching a few hours of sleep before I had to leave for work.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 18:29
You managed to get the Libertarian edition? LOL
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinusW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 18:56
Latest bunch I've been reading:

Stridens skönhet och sorg ("The Beauty and Sorrow of Combat") by Peter Englund (excellent biographical take on WW1, non-fiction, my favourite history writer - this was the second time reading it)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - first Le Carré novel for me. Loved the BBC series when I saw it last year, the book is quite excellent as well, if you like this sort of thing. Slow, methodical, "real" intelligence work with a nice story. Actualized by the new movie.

The Prague Cemetery - Umberto Eco. He still hasn't disappointed me.

Eugénie Grandet
by Honoré de Balzac - meh, interesting enough as a study of greed and suffering, but still - kinda meh.

Edited by LinusW - February 22 2012 at 20:25
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 23:29
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Very good book David! I liked Kitchen Confidential a little better but Medium Raw focuses more on his life and travels after becoming a celebrity.

I have his book The Nasty Bits on my Kindle but haven't got around to reading it yet.
yeah you really can't beat KitchCon--  Medium Raw is very good but seems a bit unfocused.  He's a great writer, though, so it's still a pleasure to read (a big influence on my style).   Nasty Bits is my second fave, it's a collection of articles but reads beautifully as a single manuscript.   I think you'll enjoy it thoroughly.   A Cook's Tour, as he points out in Raw, was done as a quick deal to go along with the show and is probably the weaker of his food adventure books.   I'd still like to read his fiction (Bone in the Throat, etc.) and the one about Typhoid Mary.

PinkFloydrulez View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkFloydrulez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 01:59
Derrick Jensen's "A Language Older Than Words"
http://www.last.fm/user/PinkFloydrulez
http://rateyourmusic.com/~pfr_77
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 05:52
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - first Le Carré novel for me. Loved the BBC series when I saw it last year, the book is quite excellent as well, if you like this sort of thing. Slow, methodical, "real" intelligence work with a nice story. Actualized by the new movie.

I ordered the whole Karla Trilogy online, in original, after seeing the "new movie". Pumped me up, I s'pose.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 09:33
Originally posted by James James wrote:

You managed to get the Libertarian edition? LOL

Yes. Such a happy coincidence that its the only copy my used book store had.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 10:58
After devouring "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", the 1200+ book on, well, the subject is obvious, I'm studying more of the era with the fantastic trilogy by Richard Evans The Coming of the Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power and, eventually after I finish this one, The Third Reich at War. Then we will leave this part of history alone and will focus on others... Tongue
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 11:45
Margaret Atwood..........Oryx & Crake........well written
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:03
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

After devouring "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", the 1200+ book on, well, the subject is obvious, I'm studying more of the era with the fantastic trilogy by Richard Evans The Coming of the Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power and, eventually after I finish this one, The Third Reich at War. Then we will leave this part of history alone and will focus on others... Tongue

I found a copy of that on the steps of a factory when I was young. I'm guessing its worth reading? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 218219220221222 320>