Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 221222223224225 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 15:34
Berlin Alexanderplatz fertig, now on to this.

Quite very excited.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 13:41
Almost half-way trough:

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 19:15
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Starting this:

It's already starting to challenge me. LOL

Whilst reading this I've interspersed it with The Kite Runner as a school assignment, The Divine Comedy because I felt the urge to read it and The Dark Knight Returns because I need some comic book every once in awhile.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 05:58
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Berlin Alexanderplatz fertig, now on to this.

Quite very excited.

I've got Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy waiting for me on top of my to read pile, first I'll have to finish off this one:

Very recommended.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 08:30

This actually marks an incredibly depressing event for me. Vonnegut overshadows every other author in my life by miles. I've been petrified of reading this ever since he died. It had been the only work he published which I have not read. I guess it was a way of keeping him alive. Now I'll never read a new Vonnegut work.

It's a fitting end to the man's life for me though. This has legitimate claim to being his best work. Classic Vonnegut tackling the meaning of life, religion, free-will, and the human condition.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 13:38
That was my first Vonnegut and one of his best.

I haven't read everything by him yet either and I'm not rushing for the same reason as yourself.  I'm on my third read of Slaugherhouse-5 though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 13:43
Somedays I sit down just wanting to quickly read the first chapter of Slaughterhouse, and I find myself just reading the whole damn thing without noticing. 

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - March 06 2012 at 13:44
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abstrakt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 15:53
Right now i'm reading this monster:

The swedish translation, which is said to be better than the english. The thing is so long that is has been split into three books, totalling in 1000+ pages Wacko
I'll be busy for a while, as i'm just halfway into the first book.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 16:02
I've been hearing bad stuff about it. 
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 06:33

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 22:42
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Almost half-way trough:

FINISHED!

Read it faster than Demian, and it's longer than it. Great, great stuff. I probably felt too identified with the character to actuall perceive everything. But, more objectively speaking, I think it's the companion book to Demian. 

Now I'm thinking of starting a Beckett play, which I've never read any, I'm really curious. If not, a Sabato book. Or dunno, another Hesse? Some argentinian? Sartre? I'm lost.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 09:41
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Somedays I sit down just wanting to quickly read the first chapter of Slaughterhouse, and I find myself just reading the whole damn thing without noticing. 

Yeah.  Same here.  The Sirens of Titan I plan to read again too but I also have some other Vonnegut to read first.

I came across a book about Vonnegut the other day that I really want.  It goes into detail about all his novels and characters.  It's perfect for me.  Have you read this yourself perchance?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 11:18
I have not. If you remember the name of it, then please tell. I would like to purchase it. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 13:11
It's by a female author. I'll look it up!

It's called Critical companion to Kurt Vonnegut: a literary reference to his life and work by Susan Elizabeth Farrell, 2008

I am not sure if it's available to purchase but presume it is as it's only available as a Limited Preview on Google Books (a lot of it is available though to get the gist of whether you'll like it or not).

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Companion-Kurt-Vonnegut-Reference/dp/0816065985

However, there is also this Critical Companion by a different author that I was not aware of: http://www.amazon.com/Kurt-Vonnegut-Companion-Companions-Contemporary/dp/031331439X
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 14:52
Bigger on the inside.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 02:33
Yep, he was indeed in that film.  He also guested in some film adaptations of his own works too, if I remember correctly.  I'm fairly sure he appears in Mother Night (which I have not seen).

Edited by James - March 09 2012 at 02:34
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 14:09
Today began:

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 14:19
^ Mmmmmmm. Heart
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 07:24
Finished Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and I think I'll leave the other two books as future episodes. Really enjoyable, it seems I'm having a good time with the detective / spy genre (so far Chandler, le Carré and a book by Ambler I also recall); I even was in the embarrasing mood to take my time and read much of the book out loud. Apart from one big conversation that I thought was stretched for too many chapters, I had no major gripe with it; all the steps seem to be accounted for. The adaptation, I now reflect upon, can be called, shall we say, genuine.

Picking up either a Soseki Natsume or a short stories collection by Muriel Spark next.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 11:58
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Today began:

FINISHED last night
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 221222223224225 320>