Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 05:06
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

^Awesome stuff. Good luck to you.

So I started reading a chapter from this again because of recent discussions here. I got hooked and just decided to read the whole thing again. It's an amazing book. I can't say I see the criticism.

I like it. But it tails of at the end. I finished it thinking, "So What"? I prefer other Clarke works but a lot of his later stuff left me cold. I never read any Rama sequels...any good?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 07:55
The only thing that bothered me about the end was the last line of the book.

I haven't read any of them. Usually jointly written fiction books tend to not be my thing so I've avoided them.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 18:01
Finishing:

Great, great.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 18:38
The Bioshock: Rapture novel.  It's a prequel to Bioshock and Bioshock 2 and it helps to explain a little bit about the origins or Rapture and how things started to go downhill before the first game.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 11:50
I finished The Hunger Games yesterday.  It was suspenseful, but woefully predictable.  It also had a couple of  very lame plot twists.

Now I am finally turning my attention to a pair of volumes I've had for many years, but never go beyond the fourth chapter:

http://www.roboteyetheater.com/images/mainpageimagefolder/romance3knovelreviewfp.jpg
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 11:09

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 13:34
Has anybody read The Recognitions by William Gaddis? If so, how was it? Big smile
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 13:55
Last night I finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem - I really enjoyed it, although it was a challenging read up front due to the amount of made up words in it. Definitely fascinating and left me with a lot of questions. I will have to revisit it sometime.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 15:25
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 03:53
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Has anybody read The Recognitions by William Gaddis? If so, how was it? Big smile

I'm about 400 pages in at the moment. Engrossing, though slightly long winded in places (this factor is not a detract for me). Overall it offers an interesting cultural critic on the art scene (and much more) of that period which differs from much of the literature I've from that era i.e. it doesn't hold it up on a pedestal. Wont say too much until I've finished. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 10:04
I'm going to reread Siddhartha since it's a book I'm supposed to like. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 10:27
Finished a couple days ago:

Now going to begin Notes From the Underground
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 15:54
^ Good man, Notes is amazing.

Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

I'm about 400 pages in at the moment. Engrossing, though slightly long winded in places (this factor is not a detract for me). Overall it offers an interesting cultural critic on the art scene (and much more) of that period which differs from much of the literature I've from that era i.e. it doesn't hold it up on a pedestal. Wont say too much until I've finished. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 18:16

Yummy stuff.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 19:03
 I have mixed feelings about The Hunger Games.  Can anyone vouch for the sequels?  If so, why (without spoilers)?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 19:10
The sequels are much better in my opinion. I think every book gets better. Her limitations as a writer are apparent throughout the series - that doesn't improve. The stories become more compelling when they move outside the simple interactions of the arena. The subsequent novels deal more with grey moral issues in the context of war and desperate situations. There's a strong anti-government vibe after the first novel. It's hard for me to say much without spoiling anything. 
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 19:16
I agree. It becomes less action based, and more of an adventure, if that makes sense. Many moral issues are discussed, and the presence and concept of government plays a huge role. Not the greatest series I've read, but not bad.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 19:27
Are they good artistic statements while maintaining a good story line or does her work suffer from her limitations too much?
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 19:29

Are they good artistic statements while maintaining a good story line or does her work suffer from her limitations too much?
I never found the books rather thought provoking myself, there were a couple ideas, but they were in my opinion, overshadowed by the story. A good read, but not book of the decade or anything.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 19:47

It's a good story while presenting these issues. You can see though they're made to be presented to young adults just coming to the point of beginning to examine and think about these issues themselves. They're never talked about or debated by characters. They're just there. Any limitations she would have in dealing with them do not manifest as a result. Reading it makes a good story. It's nothing that will have you lying in bed thinking about while you read. It's a novel you zip through in a few hours.

It's probably great for kids. For adults I think it's fun and worth the few hours it takes to read the whole series.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 320>