Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 17:16
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I tried to read The Road.  Sorry, I told James Joyce to f**k himself for not including punctuation half the time.  McCarthy doesn't get a pass for not using it either.

I don't really think it's that big of a deal. I got used to it pretty quick.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 17:20
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I tried to read The Road.  Sorry, I told James Joyce to f**k himself for not including punctuation half the time.  McCarthy doesn't get a pass for not using it either.

Same here, and IIRC, the only punctuation that was really hard to follow was the lack of quotations.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 18:35

Doesn't matter.  Was there a literary reason he refrained from using it?  Was his typewriter broken?  There are a few pieces that get a pass for using bad grammar / spelling / punctuation / conventions in their works.  A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of them (one character speaks in all caps). 
e
   e cu
           mings

is a poet who can get a pass.

Usually, however, I'm not impressed.  I've got too much sh*t to read to try to figure out who the hell is talking.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 18:44
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Same here, and IIRC, the only punctuation that was really hard to follow was the lack of quotations.

This, but The Road is merely OK compared to some of McCarthy's other books IMO.

Just finished a re-read of The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Edited by Triceratopsoil - July 17 2012 at 18:44
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 21:48

Doesn't matter.  Was there a literary reason he refrained from using it?  Was his typewriter broken?  There are a few pieces that get a pass for using bad grammar / spelling / punctuation / conventions in their works.  A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of them (one character speaks in all caps). 
e
   e cu
           mings

Usually, however, I'm not impressed.  I've got too much sh*t to read to try to figure out who the hell is talking.

He feels that quotations are unnecessary and merely clutter up the page. He feels it makes the pacing of a conversation unnatural. That would check as a good reason to me.

And I'd rather deal with something like that than read a banal story with proper syntax any day.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 22:34

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 12:36

e
   e cu
           mings

He feels that quotations are unnecessary and merely clutter up the page. He feels it makes the pacing of a conversation unnatural. That would check as a good reason to me.

And I'd rather deal with something like that than read a banal story with proper syntax any day.

I didn't even know this but that completely makes sense. LOL And I totally agree with the last statement.

How's Infinite Jest going for you, Pat?

Just got this in the mail

Don't know if I'll start it, it's basically one 320 page stream-of-consciousness paragraph, something that'd drive Rob nuts, surely. Wink

Edited by The Truth - July 18 2012 at 12:36
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 12:38
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Man, my school library bought those as a supplemental text for the English classes to read, and I had to put library covers on all of them. Saw the cover so many times I was almost sick of it and don't know if I could read it. LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 12:53
I started this today (I'm halfway through and will likely finish it this afternoon):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aOA0R3NCL.jpg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 14:30
@The Truth.....my son(who is now 15)is a voracious reader and recommended a few books to me that are in the YA(Young Adult)genre awhile ago.Some books by Garth Nix,Cory Doctorow and Ernest Cline's book Ready Player One.Sometimes YA books can surprise you(Harry Potter),so I decided to check them out.Ready Player One is absolutely superb,if you grew up in the 80's at all it is highly recommended,as it's a homage to that decade.So far Little Brother is pretty good also.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 15:48
Ready Player One is a gem that unfortunately only gets credit by SF enthusiasts. 
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 21:20

I'm a little over halfway through this. Don't know if you guys have read any Bataille before, but this certainly isn't endearing me to him. The writing is overwrought as hell, with the characters lapsing into needless philosophical musings every two paragraphs. Which is unfortunate, considering the general plot is fascinating.

Edited by Anthony H. - July 18 2012 at 21:21
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 22:20

I started this today (I'm halfway through and will likely finish it this afternoon):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aOA0R3NCL.jpg

Good taste as always, Rob. Wink
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 22:31
Don't laugh at me, but I finally got around to finishing Dune the other week. I can safely say I can join the ranks of the Dune nerds - I absolutely loved it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 07:38
Our cult grows. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 08:10
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 10:49
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Don't laugh at me, but I finally got around to finishing Dune the other week. I can safely say I can join the ranks of the Dune nerds - I absolutely loved it.

Now...on to Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.You won't be disappointed.

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 11:32
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

I'm a little over halfway through this. Don't know if you guys have read any Bataille before, but this certainly isn't endearing me to him. The writing is overwrought as hell, with the characters lapsing into needless philosophical musings every two paragraphs. Which is unfortunate, considering the general plot is fascinating.

I've only read this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_the_Eye I'm not sure endearing was how I felt about this one either ;)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 11:48

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 12:05
I finally finished the Star Wars X-Wing series last weekend while on vacation.  I've been reading the 9 books over the past year and 1/2 (or more).  I don't read all that often though, so it seemed to be about a chapter a week pace.

I started on Stephen King's The Cell while on vacation too.  I still have a long way to go, and at the pace I read, it might take me the rest of the summer. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 320>