Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ady Cardiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 09:16
getting through this epic fantasy series.....imagine lord of the rings on some seriously bad acid....and your somewhere close.....book 7 of 10 now....

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 09:50
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

BTW,,,if you haven't already read too much about 'Billy' Meier,  I recommend Light Years by Gary Kinder. It's an interesting look at a very bizarre tale of alien contact by aliens who look suspiciously like Nordic Europeans. I also recommend anything by Dr Jacques Vallee regarding the ufo phenomenon.

John Keel's Our Haunted Planet is also worth a look just for the sheer WTF? factor. Its central thesis is that Earth is home to a highly technologically advanced civilization older than humanity that was almost destroyed by the ice ages but still lives on in remote parts of the planet, and that they have shaped human culture since when our ancestors lived in caves. Gods, angels, devils, elves and aliens are then what these "ultra-terrestrials" as Keel calls them have passed themselves off as when interacting with humanity.

I'm probably making it sound much more normal a book than it really is. I've got a lengthy review of Our Haunted Planet on GoodReads if it hasn't fallen prey to the stricter moderation instituted after Amazon bought the site.
Good read....I have all of Keel's books and been a fan of his for a long time. My favorite is the 8th Tower where he really lays out his theories/ideas.
Another very strange book is the Gods Of Eden by Bramley. He has a similar idea to Keel's ultraterrestrials but takes it even further into the historical arena.
But my all time favorite UFO theory book is Dimensions by Vallee.

Edited by dr wu23 - October 28 2013 at 09:51
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 12:46
If Our Haunted Planet hasn't inspired at least one Hawkwind song I'd be genuinely surprised.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 15:35

If Our Haunted Planet hasn't inspired at least one Hawkwind song I'd be genuinely surprised.

No doubt.....and I have also found many occult/ufo references in Blue Oyster Cult songs....especially the song ETI.

Haquin
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 12:59

Both good. The former doubly so.   

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - November 11 2013 at 13:01
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 14:52
Currently reading the first book in the Sandman Slim series.
Weird noir tale of a group of magicians hiding in plain sight in the modern world in LA and their
personal battles with one another.

Sandman Slim cover
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 14:52
I'm now reading...

I'm a bit disconcerted that the band themselves don't like this book, but so far it does a pretty good job placing their work into a greater historical context. I especially like the parts explaining Kraftwerk's connections to previous pop/rock traditions, something that's frequently downplayed in favour of stressing their lineage from Stockhausen and other 20th century classical composers.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - November 12 2013 at 14:53
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 17:30
Orly Castel-Bloom “Dolly City” loved this one.

""Dolly City--a city without a base, without a past, without an infrastructure. The most demented city in the world." In the midst of a futuristic-primitive metropolis, the accumulation of all our urban nightmares, Doctor Dolly (certified by the University of Katmandu) finds a newborn baby in a black plastic bag, and decides to become a mother. Overcome by unfamiliar maternal urges, Dolly dispenses with her private lab of rare diseases and turns all her surgical passion onto her son. Ceaselessly cutting and sewing, Dolly is the scalpel-wielding version of the all-too-familiar Jewish Mother archetype, forever operating upon her son with destructive, invasive love. In this grotesque satire of war and the defensive measures taken to survive it, Orly Castel-Bloom, one of Israel's most provocative and original writers, turns her own scalpel upon that most holy of institutions, the myth of motherhood--and its implications in the life of a nation"

and now moving onto Haruki Murakami's new novel "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage".

Prog_Italy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Italy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 12:21

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes  Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 07:37
Finished that book about Kraftwerk earlier this week. The band's notorious secrecy has obviously presented some major obstacles to the author, so the book frequently ends up being more about KW's impact upon other music and pop culture in general. It's most illuminating when covering the pre-Autobahn phase of their career, which they're very tightlipped about today. I'm also quite surprised to learn that even after that record, it took quite a while for KW to become more than just a cult band outside Germany. Looks like their international mainstream breakthrough required more mainstream-friendly genres (like synthpop in the UK and disco in the US) to take influence from them first.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2013 at 21:16
At the moment:

And borrowed from my girlfriend:

I plan on finishing all of these plus Blood Meridian and The Pale King before the end of the New Year.

Edited by The Truth - December 12 2013 at 21:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 11:54
This week I've started reading...

Very much in the same hardboiled detective genre tradition as incepted by Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, but nowhere as sleazy or gritty as either. In fact, Macdonald's writing style and overall sensibility as an author is unusually cerebral and introverted for this kind of stuff. He's also got an exceptional eye for attention to characterization and use of physical location in the story.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 22:43
Toaster....you might like these. I read the whole series about 25 years ago.
good fun and has some hard boiled action too......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_McGee

I also highly recommend the Repairman Jack series...has noir, the occult, action, and an 'anti hero'. My all time favorite 'hard guy' series.
Haquin
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 05:31
Started this one yesterday and got through 120 pages so its a page turner. Ecological disaster set in very near future.

The Glide View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Glide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 07:49
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Americanah

Right now : Sheila Heti - How should a person be?

I've created an atmosphere where I'm friend first, boss second. Probably entertainer third.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 10:43
Current reading material:

Only 40 pages or so into it, however I can already tell I'm in the company of a master writer. Every single sentence just seethes with despair, hate and negativity... yet is incredibly well-crafted and strung together with a narrative finesse that comes across as the work of a singular authorial vision that just can't be faked.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 11:46

Current reading material:

Only 40 pages or so into it, however I can already tell I'm in the company of a master writer. Every single sentence just seethes with despair, hate and negativity... yet is incredibly well-crafted and strung together with a narrative finesse that comes across as the work of a singular authorial vision that just can't be faked.
Looks interesting.....I'll ck it out soon. Sounds like Repairman Jack would be something you would really enjoy.

Haquin
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 02:21

Currently reading the first book in the Sandman Slim series.
Weird noir tale of a group of magicians hiding in plain sight in the modern world in LA and their
personal battles with one another.

Sandman Slim cover

Don't know if you have seen any previous posts of mine in this thread but I LOVE Kadrey and especially dig his Sandman Slim books,Read them all,they are extremely good!

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 02:23

Excellent mix of Raymond Chandler-ish noir and dark urban fantasy,about a fallen angel investigating the murder of the archangel Gabriel.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 04:24

Sounds like Repairman Jack would be something you would really enjoy.

Just read the Wikipedia article about that series, looks pretty interesting. Is it by the same author as the book that the movie The Keep was based on?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 320>