Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272273274275276 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 10:49
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Just finished Pratchett's latest, Raising Steam. It doesn't have the fall-out-of-your-chair funny moments that older books of his had (Drop Bears anyone?), but his story telling is still brilliant.

I've been meaning to get this one. What you've I find really valid too regarding later Pratchett. Up until around Wyrd Sisters I find he mostly focuses on joke telling, whereas the later he gets the better the storytelling is. I prefer his later works, The Truth and Going Postal especially...

I agree, I think he found an excellent balance from around then with Night Watch being my particular favorite.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 11:48
History....

Just finished one on the middle ages.  Now reading a history of the Reformation. 

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 02:36

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Just finished Pratchett's latest, Raising Steam. It doesn't have the fall-out-of-your-chair funny moments that older books of his had (Drop Bears anyone?), but his story telling is still brilliant.

I've been meaning to get this one. What you've I find really valid too regarding later Pratchett. Up until around Wyrd Sisters I find he mostly focuses on joke telling, whereas the later he gets the better the storytelling is. I prefer his later works, The Truth and Going Postal especially...
I agree, I think he found an excellent balance from around then with Night Watch being my particular favorite.

If you've not read it yet, I'd recommend 'Monstrous Regiment' - effectively a re-write of Catch 22 for the Pratchett era.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apsalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 18:36
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Very good even though I'm definitely not literate/smart enough to truly get everything.

really enjoyed that one when i read it a couple years back. certainly deserving of a re-read some time soon.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 07:26
Right now I'm reading this:

Probably the single most aggressively 1980s novel I've ever read that wasn't by Bret Easton Ellis, despite being nominally set in a distant future and written in that setting's street argot a la Anthony Burgess' Clockwork Orange, but that's a feature not a bug since I love the entire paradoxically colourful and stylized type of dystopian grimness that's so peculiar to much film/literature/music from that decade.

Also, while it's got a much more conventional plot than the short stories contained in the Burning Chrome anthology as it more or less follows the tropes of the "gentleman thief" heist genre... I still maintain that Wm. Gibson's one of the most misunderstood currently living authors: Even here he shows way more inspiration from the Beat Generation and post-modernism in general than from inside the science-fiction genre, with his creative priorities reflecting that. The way most debate about Neuromancer still centres around how well it predicted the future is a textbook example of missing the forest for the trees.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 14:23
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 01:55
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

This inspired Close to the Edge Clap
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fusionfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 07:29
Bill Bruford's autobiography(finished 3 days ago)
after Down and ut in Paris and London(George Orwell)
                                      Animal Farm
John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 07:38
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

well, thankfully the book is a lot better than the album
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 14:43

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

well, thankfully the book is a lot better than the album
Hmm...other way around for me.
I've read all of Hesse's novels, many years ago,  and that one ,as a novel, was a bit boring to tell the truth.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 15:23
I thought Siddhartha was really beautifully written but I didn't understand very much of the religious content.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 17:53
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 20:35
Finally at a point where I am reading nothing but this:

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 22:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 17:36
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 20:59

Wow..there's a name I haven't heard in a long time....I read Triffids many moons ago and saw the old b&w  Brit film.
Let us know if The Chrysalids is good.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 23:55
It was quite interesting, very quick read.  About a post-apocalyptic society that hates any deviation from what they consider normal
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 19:32
This!  Big smile

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 09:57

an extraordinary novel settled in England in the early 19th century in a slightly alternative reality, a reality in  which magic really exists. or rat her existed, because the few remaining magicians have become mere historians of magic; none of them knows how to perform magic anymore. that is, until the arrival of Mr. Norrell who is a real magician and wants to restore magic to its original glory in  England. unfortunately he is kind of a miser and does not really know how to deal with people.

he acquires an apprentice, Jonathan Strange, who has a natural magical talent but is in character rather the opposite of  his teacher. the relationship between the two men grows into a rivalry, which leads to lots of complications.

this description somewhat sounds like the book is just an ordinary fantasy novel, but it is a lot more; it is more like a satire. the prose is deliberately held in 19th-century style like Charles Dickens or Jane Austen. it pretends to be a record of historical events. there are many hilarious footnotes and some good illustrations too (which are also done in 19th-century style). the paperback edition has close to 1000 pages, but once you get started you can hardly put down the book.

BBC will broadcast a 7-part tv-series of it starring Eddie Marsan and Bertie Carvel as the title characters; it will probably start this year. as far as I know a date for that has not been set yet

Edited by BaldJean - February 18 2014 at 09:58

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 10:36
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

an extraordinary novel settled in England in the early 19th century in a slightly alternative reality, a reality in  which magic really exists. or rat her existed, because the few remaining magicians have become mere historians of magic; none of them knows how to perform magic anymore. that is, until the arrival of Mr. Norrell who is a real magician and wants to restore magic to its original glory in  England. unfortunately he is kind of a miser and does not really know how to deal with people.

he acquires an apprentice, Jonathan Strange, who has a natural magical talent but is in character rather the opposite of  his teacher. the relationship between the two men grows into a rivalry, which leads to lots of complications.

this description somewhat sounds like the book is just an ordinary fantasy novel, but it is a lot more; it is more like a satire. the prose is deliberately held in 19th-century style like Charles Dickens or Jane Austen. it pretends to be a record of historical events. there are many hilarious footnotes and some good illustrations too (which are also done in 19th-century style). the paperback edition has close to 1000 pages, but once you get started you can hardly put down the book.

BBC will broadcast a 7-part tv-series of it starring Eddie Marsan and Bertie Carvel as the title characters; it will probably start this year. as far as I know a date for that has not been set yet
Been meaning to read that one for several years......looking forward to the BBC program of it.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272273274275276 320>