Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 279280281282283 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 02:12
That's my problem, I couldn't do that with those books - they were the reason for many a late night & bleary eyed morning

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 04:01
Just finished watching the first three seasons and frankly I can't imagine reading the books; good to know the adaptions are worthy.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 06:01
The adaptations are good, but given the restrictions of even a 10/12 hour running time, a lot of the fine detail/characterisation from the books has to be lost - highly recommend the books

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 14:44
Nearly finished this very original time travel novel.  

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - June 24 2014 at 14:45
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 12:25
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Just finished watching the first three seasons and frankly I can't imagine reading the books; good to know the adaptions are worthy.

Worthy is a good description, but the show is just a shadow of what's achieved in the books.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 12:30
Just finished these two.

Feynman's always superb. Hyperion was good, but I don't quite understand it being held as an all-time all-time sci-fi book. A lot of the world building comes from stringing together meaningless science-y terms and some times the stories feel cliched and pulpy.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - June 25 2014 at 12:34
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 23:50
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

BTW Dr Wu...if you like Kadrey and Green try out Kevin Hearne and his Iron Druid Chronicles and Mike Carey's Felix Castor books.Highly recommended
Forgot about this thread.....sorry.
I'll definitely try those other suggestions above.
and I'll look for Hearne....read the second Felix Castor book and thought it was just ok.

Hearne's books are well researched and steeped in ancient Irish mythology and I have really enjoyed them since discovering him.If you only read the second Castor book you might want to start with the first.

I recently read "The Dirty Streets of Heaven",Tad Williams first foray into dark urban fantasy and loved it.There are now three books in that series and they are about an angel named Doloriel/Bobby Dollar who is an Advocate for recently deceased souls.Very good stuff!
''

Just started reading Green's Secret History series: Man With The Golden Torc....and have Daemons Are Forever ready next.
So far I'm enjoying it.
Thumbs Up

Great series,over-the-top and fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.Like most of Green's work.Tongue

What are your opinions on the Harry Dresden novels by Butcher and  the Repairman Jack series by Wilson..?
I've read all of them...two of my favorite series.

The Dresden Files are the books that got me into this sub-genre.To me they are the standard to which all others must be measured.I've read them all but the newest one Skin Game.

Wilson is taking me a bit to get into.Another author I admire named JA Konrath raves about him so I decided to check him out.The first books I read were Wilson's three short story collections;Softs and Others,The Barrens and Others and Aftershock and Others.I enjoyed these immensely and decided to dive into the Repairman Jack cycle.

I like it but the work as a whole can be pretty daunting to newcomers.I started with the Adversary Cycle but then realized you really only have to read The Tomb because the next proper Repairman Jack book is Legacies.Then there are a ton of short stories and books like Young Repairman Jack and Early Repairman Jack.

I pretty much have it all on my Kindle but have only read up to Gateways.Good stuff though,I just need to read the books more often but I have a huge backlog.

Edited by TheProgtologist - June 26 2014 at 23:51

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 06:51
I've started reading The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb... If you're into fantasy, it's bloody brilliant.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 15:11
Right now I'm reading...

As much as Poe has been copied by basically every horror writer since him, it's still interesting how fresh his writing feels today. The attention to detail both in the psychological introspection, detail of describing milieu and sly cultural allusions (many of whom are probably lost to most modern readers) really elevates to, and all comes together like the author really was in the power of unknown forces. I also like that the selection of stories here also emphasize elements of Poe usually neglected by popular culture, his satirical humour and sense for what fantasy writers today call "world-building". The latter two which Jorge Luis Borges really picked up on, along with Poe's playing around with literary tradition.

A book about not just modern science's roots in Hermetic alchemy and esoteric religion in general, but also how it's been reflected in the art of the renaissance. I'm basically in heaven when reading a book like this since it covers so many of my favourite interests intersecting. All I can complain about it is that the format could be somewhat larger, as the illustrations depicted are often very detailed motifs.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 14:01
Toaster have you read this .....? My go to book for all things occult.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 14:05
I read some of Colin Wilson's books on the paranormal as a kid and they gave me trouble sleeping for a really long time.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 15:47
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I read some of Colin Wilson's books on the paranormal as a kid and they gave me trouble sleeping for a really long time.
LOL
Well.....I highly recommend The Occult. It's an excellent reference for all things weird.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 02:49
For the most part, it was some of the illustrations of the alien lifeforms described that gave me nightmares.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 10:19
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

For the most part, it was some of the illustrations of the alien lifeforms described that gave me nightmares.
Hmm....I've read most of his non fiction like The Occult (and one or two fiction things by him) and I don't recall any illustrations of lifeforms.
Haquin
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 11:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 13:32

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 14:42
Right now I'm reading...

Surprised how much messed-up and disturbing literature/poetry but in a classy and kind of beautiful way came out of France in the second half of the 19th century. I don't usually read that much poetry, but since I enjoy quite a bit of what the Symbolists either drew upon or in turn inspired this is right up my alley.

Heard very mixed things about this book, I'm like 50 pages in and it's not so bad but lacks the focus of what I've read from Daniel Ekeroth's book on the Swedish death metal scene. (which also benefits from the author having first hand insider knowledge from that subculture in its prime)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:00
I just got back to reading after a long hiatus, and am finishing Toscanini by George Marek. Though the book has some errors, it also amply illustrates the conductor's appeal and genius.

Yesterday, I bought Thayer's Life of Beethoven and a bio of conductor Pierre Monteux called Pierre Monteux, maitre, which are next on my list.
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:37
FINISHED:

READING:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 12:00

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 279280281282283 320>