Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 320>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 12:44
I'm in a crime fiction class and after reading Cain, Hammett and Chandler, we're onto this:

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 13:35
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

I'm in a crime fiction class and after reading Cain, Hammett and Chandler, we're onto this:

I should read one of those...loved the old Brit show with Leo McKern as Rumpole
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 14:39
It seems like everyone's reading a lot of crime fiction around this time of the year.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 14:49
^ It's a good time to do so. Man, I loved Farewell My Lovely an extreme amount. It was truly great.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 13:34
What do people recommend that I read next? I've got either Two Faces of January by Patricia Highsmith or A Sicilian Romance by Ann Radcliffe up next on my GoodReads list. The latter is much shorter, but being from the 19th century I wager it might be a harder read because it reflects a very different lifestyle and social structure than we live in now.

As you can guess, I've decided to read way more novels by female authors this year after realizing last that I read very few works of fiction written by women at all which is a bit strange.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 14:25
Well I have only read Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley but loved it. I would recommend that you try her at least sometime although I can't speak for Radcliffe. Highsmith really knows how to write a novel about a sadistic personalities and crime.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 14:33
Yeah, she seems to be the "grey zone" between Knut Hamsun/Albert Camus-esque existentialism and James M. Cain-inspired pulp crime fiction. I also get the impression when reading about Highsmith that she lived an extremely interesting life, and was a very fascinating personality.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 14:53
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Yeah, she seems to be the "grey zone" between Knut Hamsun/Albert Camus-esque existentialism and James M. Cain-inspired pulp crime fiction. I also get the impression when reading about Highsmith that she lived an extremely interesting life, and was a very fascinating personality.
Probably couldn't agree more with this assessment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 12:46
As announced, this weekend I've started reading...

This is apparently one of Highsmith's less well known books, but I wanted to read a stand-alone before deciding whether the Ripley series is worth pursuing. The plot follows two interweaving stories: The first follows an American businessman and his wife, who while vacationing in Greece are arrested under suspicion of fraud back home, then end up accidentally killing the police officer while resisting arrest; the second follows a third American expatriate in Greece, a washed-up lawyer who needs to get home to the States and sees an opportunity to raise the money when he by coincidence witnesses the aforementioned murder, offering the couple the option to escape if he gets them fake passports.

I like the in-depth description of the Greek setting, as well as how it's very difficult to identify any heroes and villains or even protagonist/antagonist pattern. The plot actually reminds me a lot of David Goodis' The Wounded and the Slain which came out 10 years prior, but I much prefer Highsmith's take on the similar premise already since she's way better at plot structure as well as observing the "show don't tell" rule.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 13:41
^ From your description, I may have to pick that up. Sounds very much in the same vein of the first Ripley book only perhaps a bit more complex which makes it all the more appealing.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 02:14

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 02:38

Waiting for this nearly 1,000 page tome about the theory of two Oswalds; one spoke Russian, defected and came back with a Russian wife, the other became a crack shot and framed the first for the assassination of John Kennedy.   Yeah pretty far out there... but strangely compelling in its absurdity.   I will post again if I ever actually get through it
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 16:12
On a related note, I find it really annoying when book cover art puts the author's name in bigger text than the title. I know it's self-explanatory and makes a lot of business sense with authors popular enough to be brand names in themselves, but still...
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 19:46
Ok ok ok people. Hear me out. I'm not a reader. I can remember reading less than a handful of books and enjoying them at some point, only recent one being Catcher in the Rye. 

But i moved into a new house today and found a box full of books, mainly sci-fi and fantasy ones. The one i was excited about was The Chronicles of Narnia. Now i know it isn't the most intensive reading, but it had every book in one all laidout nicely - in brand new condition and i was happy enough to being into my room and tell myself i'd read it soon. I was a fan of the first two movies and C.S Lewis seems like an interesting author. Just wanted to get this little excitement out. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 20:21
HOLY sh*t AUSTIN IS GOING TO REEEEEEEAAAAD
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 08:41
Reading 'Alien Hunter' by Strieber.....mediocre sci-fi thriller but the premise sounded interesting (renegade humanoid aliens are abducting and killing people on earth and a covert team of humans and one alien are in pursuit) , so I picked it up at the local library.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 09:34
Enjoyed his Wolfen, interesting attempt at a realistic re-interpretation of the werewolf legend there, though I haven't read any of his alien stuff.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:07
I've been in a crime fiction mood lately,mostly of the hardboiled variety.I have never read Ellroy before(I did see and enjoy L.A. Confidential)and after reading that particular book recently I am now eagerly reading my way through the rest of his body of work.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 15:03
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Enjoyed his Wolfen, interesting attempt at a realistic re-interpretation of the werewolf legend there, though I haven't read any of his alien stuff.

I read Wolfen and saw the film.....decent on both accounts and I did read his 'autobiograpical abduction' series which was also interesting though I have never decided if he's on the level or not regarding those experiences. 
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 21:36
^ It is a mystery--  Streiber has steadfastly maintained that he is not creating his story nor is there any indication of a mental problem according to tests he had done.   One interesting follow-up was his Solving the Communion Enigma from 2011 which revisits his experiences after he and his wife had to sell the cabin where the visitations allegedly took place.   Apparently his books stopped selling, even the novels, and the Streibers fell on hard times which is one of the reasons he took the job hosting Art Bell's Dreamland and other questionable outlets.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 320>