Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 14:16
we just bought this yesterday:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 04:03
Anybody here regularly reads Jonathan Coe's books?

For those not aware, Coe is a brilliant novelist describing the last 70 years' weird British society and its strange societal traits who create a bunch of odd effects on its population.

A good deal of us probably have read The Rotter's Club (01) , which mentions Hatfield & The North and Crimson (a little bit), but has anyone read The Closed Circle ('04)? This is the sequel (most of the characters in TRC are mentionned in TCC) happening in the early 00's, but doesn't make any reference to prog music.

Another diptyque would be What A Carve Up (from 94) and his very latest book called Number 11 , which has some links with some of the surviving protagonist of the former book finding their end on the present one. For for the first time, Coe has brought some fantasy or surreal creature, which is disturbing me: more because it's out of character (he had remained realistic until now)

I've also read Accidental Woman (87, I think), currently reading House Of Sleep and up next will be his second-lasr novel Expo 58 (happening in Brussels)

I tried Pricacy of Maxwell Sim , but couldn't, partly because of the fact that I'd seen the French movie vased on the novel before reading... after a few pages and reading ahead, I could see that the movie followed the book from close, so I returned to book to the library
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 16:03
I finally finished reading Oscar Wildes' "The Picture of Dorian Gray". Not my kind of book to start with but I decided to read it. The story was good and I enjoyed reading when there was actually one. It's the parties, Dorian's obsessions and Lord Henry's endless ramblings that make it so boring.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 16:15
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I finally finished reading Oscar Wildes' "The Picture of Dorian Gray". Not my kind of book to start with but I decided to read it. The story was good and I enjoyed reading when there was actually one. It's the parties, Dorian's obsessions and Lord Henry's endless ramblings that make it so boring.

I could probably read a 1000 page novel that was nothing but Lord Henry's ramblings, so I disagree with you there, but at least you gave it a shot. 

Currently I'm rereading Le Chants De Maldoror, the great french surrealist novel. Pointless, transgressive, utterly offensive, incoherent and meandering... I love it. 
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 16:53
All of these PKD books over the summer:

Dr. Bloodmoney
Eye In The Sky
Time Out Of Joint
Confessions Of A Crap Artist
Martian Time-Slip
Now Wait For Last Year
Clans Of The Alphane Moon
The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch
A Maze Of Death
The World Jones Made
The Penultimate Truth (currently reading)

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 16:55
I'm reading Popol Vuh but it just seems like a Bible ripoff. Thumbs Down
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 00:14
I am reading my fifth Kurt Vonnegut book at the moment, Godbless You, Mr. Rosewater. I decided to build my way up his bibliography chronologically and have read only one book not by Kurt Vonnegut since I started with Player Piano. The latter and Cat's Cradle are my absolute favorites, but all of them are great so far (still waiting for Slaughterhouse Five). Vonnegut's way of approaching things appeals to me in an incredible way. In no time, he has become one of my favorite authors of all time.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 00:34

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 02:55
      I always have a novel (or a short story collection) under reading, but this brand new book is the one that has made me the happiest lately.
And several of my prog-minded Facebook friends! Smile 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 20:58
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Dr. Bloodmoney
Eye In The Sky
Time Out Of Joint
Confessions Of A Crap Artist
Martian Time-Slip
Now Wait For Last Year
Clans Of The Alphane Moon
The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch
A Maze Of Death
The World Jones Made
The Penultimate Truth (currently reading)

I've read all of those also.....and more over the last 35 years. Love his novels.
Don't forget to read 'Ubik' also.

:)

Just finished rereading Dimensions by Dr J Vallee.

Edited by dr wu23 - October 06 2016 at 21:01
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 22:40
^Ubik was my first PKD experience.  Then, I went on and read A Scanner Darkly, Flow My Tears The Policeman Said and The Man In The High Castle.  All were great!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 05:34
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

I could probably read a 1000 page novel that was nothing but Lord Henry's ramblings, so I disagree with you there, but at least you gave it a shot. 

Currently I'm rereading Le Chants De Maldoror, the great french surrealist novel. Pointless, transgressive, utterly offensive, incoherent and meandering... I love it. 

a great but really disturbing book; sometimes it is extremely violent like the chapter starting with "here comes the madwoman". in my opinion one of the most horrific scenes ever described in a book, but written in an exquisite language.

I wouldn't call the book a "novel" though. actually I have no idea what to call it at all.

the book was almost lost, but artist Ré Soupault and her husband Philippe discovered it by chance, were fascinated by it and gave it to André Breton, who was equally enthusiastic about it. the surrealists loved the book, and the author Lautreamont became one of the saints of the surrealist movement (along with Baudelaire and de Sade). the book is all the more astounding because it was first published between 1868 and 1869.

today the book is part of the French canon of literature

Edited by BaldJean - October 07 2016 at 11:43

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 11:32

It's still the less annoying of the three, I admit. I found them interesting at first but I didn't have much patience for it at some point. It was good to read something different then usual though.

I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" last year and I really enjoyed it. I'll have to read more from him, I already had "Ubik" in mind.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 15:49

It's still the less annoying of the three, I admit. I found them interesting at first but I didn't have much patience for it at some point. It was good to read something different then usual though.

I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" last year and I really enjoyed it. I'll have to read more from him, I already had "Ubik" in mind.

"Ubik" is one of his very best. I also highly recommend "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch", "A Scanner Darkly" and the "Valis" trilogy ("Valis", "The Divine Invasion" and "The Transmigration of Timothy Archer")

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 11:27
^ Thanks for the recommendations. I went to a bookstore yesterday but they only had "Dr. Bloodmoney" and "The Man in the High Castle". I bought a few more books too, I have quite a lot to read this Winter.

I also read George Orwell's "Animal Farm" two weeks ago. It's very short but to the point and still relevant nowadays.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 12:33
Just finnished Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, the sixth book I've read by him since September. This one was amazing, definitely up there with Cat's Cradle (I have not read Slaughterhouse-Five yet, though). The twisted, yet static plot, numerous build-ups, amazing sense of humor, odd analogies, and the author revealing himself as the Creator of the Universe at one point really make for an amazing book. His illustrations are really neat touches. God, I love Vonnegut.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 16:24
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Ubik" is one of his very best. I also highly recommend "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch", "A Scanner Darkly" and the "Valis" trilogy ("Valis", "The Divine Invasion" and "The Transmigration of Timothy Archer")

Ubik is fantastic (and the first PKD book I read).  I haven't jumped into the Valis trilogy yet.  One of my co-workers is currently reading Valis and he said it's a tough read at times (and this coming from an avid reader).
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 21:47
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 22:29
The 15 Ounce Pound — Big Pharma’s Plan to Patent Pot By Joseph R. Pietri

The War Conspiracy: JFK, 9/11 and the Deep Politics of War

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 06:38
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 320>