Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 306307308309310 320>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 20:09
A modern classic by Charles Portis (True Grit)

and this well-written and somewhat interesting investigation by Annie Jacobsen

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 02:51

Deliver us from Evil by Ralph Sarchie & Lisa Collier Cool (St Martin's Paperbacks 2001)

I purchased this largely on the strength of the 2014 movie of the same name which the producers claim somewhat spuriously, it was based upon. Please be advised that Deliver Us From Evil is an excellent exorcism movie well worth seeing but bears little relation to the contents of the 2001 book. What's odd about the authors' complicity in allowing this dissimilitude is that co-writer Ralph Sarchie never lets you forget for a second that he doesn't charge for his demonology services, he is a committed christian, unashamedly republican, shies away from publicity and talks a great game of spirituality always trumping materialism. He also makes it abundantly clear that he would never make any footage of any exorcism he was involved in available for public consumption yet has subsequently done so without demur. We can only surmise that this is the reason this humble servant of God who has chosen poverty has also chosen to donate the lucrative film rights to the charity 'Buying Your Own Home in Long Island'

For all his dogmatism and disavowal of scientific explanations for the phenomena he describes, I think Sarchie sincere but completely deluded. That he actually does offer people some respite from their terrible suffering is also probably undisputed but this merely serves to impart in his beneficiaries, some of his own very subjective and unhealthy superstitious thinking. He is certainly a very charismatic, convincing and on occasion intimidating individual (how else would he recruit assistants from the ranks of an NYPD who wouldn't blink at fishing dead babies out of a dumpster?) so we should perhaps just be grateful he's never seen fit to head up a cult to propagate his archly 'trad catholic' worldview.

The structure of the book is that of separate exorcism case studies and follows closely the precedent set by Malachi Martin's rather superior Hostage to the Devil from 1976. The subject matter is never less than interesting and Sarchie/Cool keep up a good pace throughout which keeps you turning the page. Ultimately however, we are left facing the wrong question at the conclusion i.e. Sarchie wants us to ask: Is the devil real and how can I fight him? but instead the reader if left only with: why does this brave, pragmatic and sincere man believe in so much irrational and self serving sh*te?

BTW Publishers everywhere: get a f*cking clue and stop changing the name of books solely on the basis of cashing in on the country of origin of the film-star e.g. In the USA the book is called Beware the Night and if you ask for this in a book shop in Australia (where I live and where Eric Bana originates) they say, nope it doesn't exist cobber.

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 22 2017 at 04:18
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 05:00
Finnished Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly yesterday and I'm blown away by this book. Very depressing, contemplative, sincere, thought-provoking, artistic, and powerful in its delivery. Cannot say anything other than the above about this masterpiece at the moment really, excellent read.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 06:15
^ I'll keep an eye out for that one. Curiously, I finished Dr. Bloodmoney last Sunday, one of the best I've read from him. It's funny how he makes a post-apocalyptic world a nice place to live. It's very light considering the theme.

Before that I read two sci-fi trilogies, Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Frank Herbert's Dune. I thought the former had a slow start but I read the second half avidly, when it became a bit less political and more focused on the characters. The later I didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would, but unlike the previous books, I read it in Portuguese and it didn't seem like a good quality translation, so it might be because of that. I'll have to read it again in English some day.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 07:32
About to start this....I always blind-buy Terry Goodkind's books (and I absolutely insist on getting the hardcover editions!). He's written a string of superior fantasy books in the `Sword of Truth' series, but this one is a modern-set book, can't wait to check it out:

Also reading this - Stars Wars: Heir to the Jedi (also in hardcover) - Nothing too special, just a reliable and breezy addition to the SW films and other books, this one set soon after the original film/Episode 4. A couple of cool moments so far, in particular Luke being attacked by nasty camouflaged creatures that drop out of trees and can tear through metal helmets with razor sharp teeth!

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 08:06
Rereading Kafka, currently in the middle of the story about the story about the giant mole.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 09:27

worst-book-covers-titles-47

worst-book-covers-titles-58

worst-book-covers-titles-36

worst-book-covers-titles-37

worst-book-covers-titles-40

worst-book-covers-titles-41

worst-book-covers-titles-49

worst-book-covers-titles-43

worst-book-covers-titles-48

worst-book-covers-titles-45

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 13:27
Still rereading  'Mysteries'  by Colin Wilson.

I'm going to look for that 'Phenomena' book posted above.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 00:36
Currently reading "Kafka on the Shore" by Murakami
Thus far has been worth all the praise
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 00:46
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Still rereading  'Mysteries'  by Colin Wilson.

I'm going to look for that 'Phenomena' book posted above.

She's a very good writer, currently reading --

Edited by Atavachron - August 25 2017 at 00:50
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 01:46

I had to read this carefully some time ago, as I edited the second, upgraded edition. I'm pretty proud of it! Smile
Thanks for Eetu Pellonpää for the excellent painting.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 02:16
^ Lovely

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 10:52
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075B4DP23/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504367417&sr=8-3&keywords=drew+fisher

Brig-Wallis Preparatory School for Boys
Book One in the Osiris Plan Trilogy
Visonary & metaphysical Fiction; dystopian fiction; sci-fi/fantasy
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 11:04
Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

I had to read this carefully some time ago, as I edited the second, upgraded edition. I'm pretty proud of it! Smile

Matti, is there an English translation ? (first time I have notice of your book, btw, sorry)
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 12:20
Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles: pulpy, occasionally ridiculous, but entertaining
Nicholson Baker's The Mezzanine: greatly enjoyable
Reread of Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground: always a classic

And lately I've been working through Emil Cioran's The Temptation To Exist, as well as a compilation of film criticism. Over the next couple weeks, I'll probably reread some Henry Miller and (oddly enough) The Bhagavad Gita, followed by Albert Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus. 
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 11:29

Cixin Liu - The Three-Body Problem
Cixin Liu - The Dark Forest
Cixin Liu - Death's End

Almost finished this trilogy by a Chinese author whom I did not know of until I found these in Waterstones. Superb hard sci-fi. The Three-Body Problem is set in post-war Communist China an it tells the story of an alien civilisation which learns of the existence of Earth. The Dark Forest continues the tale with the alien civilisation facing destruction so they plan to invade Earth. Death's End, the trilogy's concluding volume, explores the two societies' attempt to co-exist, despite apparently irreconcilable differences. 4/5
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 23:46
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

Matti, is there an English translation ? (first time I have notice of your book, btw, sorry)

No, sorry. If there one day will be, I'll definitely let you all know. :) 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 16:56
Currently reading "Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders. Never heard of it, but an owner of a bookstore said it was on his top 3 list of all time so I felt I had to try. So far, very interesting read! 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 00:27
I just started re-reading the "Thursday Next" series by Jasper Fforde (yes, double "F"). For all lovers of classic English literature (Shakespeare, Dickens, Austen, the Brontë sisters) this series is a must-read.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 15:05
The Onion Eaters by J P Donleavy.. ive read this book so many times and am doing so again in respect to his announced death today at the age of 91

Image result for the onion eaters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 306307308309310 320>