Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 310311312313314 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 16:42
Please recommend anything you've read that is along the lines of the ones we have mentioned...I love a good deep novel...to get lost in it. Can be any genre...I like it all as long as the book is well written and somewhat esoteric at times. I tried Ulysses once but never finished it ...I also have read some early Pynchon like Crying of Lot 49 and V....never finished Gravity's Rainbow...maybe one day. Also tried Infinite Jest...since it received all these brilliant accolades but only got about 60 pages in.
I'm waiting on Gormenghast from the bookstore..my next big read...I'm also reading the whole Bryant and May series by C Fowler.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 16:51
I think of all of the above, I would most strongly recommend Jerusalem.  It doesn't seem as though length is daunting to you, and I think you would enjoy the depth of it.  I am looking forward to reading it again, but also want to catch up and whittle down some of the to-read stacks.  Why?  So I can add more to them.  :)

I did read Gravity's Rainbow, in fact, I just bought another copy because I want to read it again.  That was in high school, I think my perspective will have changed, so want to see how it is reading it now.  

I never have tried Ulysses, but feel that I have to at least try, I don't know why I waver on starting it, but that probably has to change.  

Plus there is music that must also be heard.  Luckily, I can listen to music all day at work, will often check out recommended artists while I'm working.  But I do a fair amount of listening at home, too.  Not a lot of TV, news and some cooking shows and PBS series.  

Anyway if something hits me that I think I should recommend, will add it in here.  And thank you for the various recommendations, I will see if they are in the extensive home library before purchasing.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 13:21
I'll look for a copy of Jerusalem at my local library....thanks.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 13:43
Basic Economics - Thomas Sowell

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 15:01
^LOL.................sorry but that was funny to me.
Haquin
Oganesson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oganesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 22:09
Finished One Hundred Years of Solitude Monday. Really wonderful book - I loved the fantastical imagery, and the ending was exhilarating.

Now I'm working on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I'm only 10 pages in, however.

Edited by Oganesson - February 13 2019 at 22:10
"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle

Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 06:18
Loved both of those, particularly 100 Years of Solitude.  Good reading!  Smile
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 07:40
I just got it, and have skimmed, but I like what I've read so far. It's only accessible through Roger Waters' site.

"In The Pink (Not A Hunting Memoir)" by Nick Sedgwick
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 12:59
As Mervyn Peake was mentioned thought i'd re-read a book I read as a boy and read to my Children..
Image result for letters from a lost uncle

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 13:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm waiting on Gormenghast from the bookstore..my next big read...

Its a very 'dense' read; Peake's sudden and extreme attention to descriptive detail can produce the most incredibly striking mental images of the characters, events and landscapes whilst at the same time, on occasion, being excruciatingly frustrating as it almost seems to draw the plot to a halt.. but stick with it as it brings vivid colour and depth to the dark humour,profound sorrow and alien familiarity of the characters and the world they inhabit.. One of my all time 'desert island' reads and I hope you really enjoy itSmile

sunflower421 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflower421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 09:29
The wishbone ash story
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 17:58
I usually read Sci-fi/Fantasy and am also a huge Stephen King, Cormac McCarthy and Anne Rice fan.  Love the Thomas Covenant series.

A few years ago, I decided I needed to read some classics, so every fourth book I read is a classic.  I'm now reading "Burmese Days" by George Orwell and I find it surprisingly interesting.  I have read several classics now, but if you have something a little off the beaten track, please let me know.

Edited by TCat - February 21 2019 at 18:08

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 18:07
I am reading a book by... James Baldwin Big smile
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 18:09
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I am reading a book by... James Baldwin Big smile

Now that's a coincidence LOL

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 19:14
I have a habit of starting one, and then reading something.. I'll summarize that I've read in the last week.

Books about:
-John Cassavetes
-Robert Altman
-Federico Fellini
-Jim Garrison
-Mort Sahl
-Doug Stanhope
-Richard Burton

Edited by MortSahlFan - February 21 2019 at 19:15
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 19:27
I always have to read straight through, one at a time, unless they're vastly different, say a book of poetry vs a novel.  I try to intersperse "serious" works as well, TCat.  Right now, about a third of the way in "Crime and Punishment," after discussions here, actually.  
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 11:50
Alright...'Gormenghast' is here...starting it this weekend....could not find a copy of 'Jerusalem' at the library.
This one might take a while.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 13:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Alright...'Gormenghast' is here...starting it this weekend....could not find a copy of 'Jerusalem' at the library.
This one might take a while.
Gormenghast will keep you plenty busy.  Some libraries will do requests and/or get from other libraries, but you probably know that.  
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 13:29
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I have a habit of starting one, and then reading something.. I'll summarize that I've read in the last week.

Books about:
-John Cassavetes
-Robert Altman
-Federico Fellini
-Jim Garrison
-Mort Sahl
-Doug Stanhope
-Richard Burton
How is the Stanhope book?
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 11:08
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I always have to read straight through, one at a time, unless they're vastly different, say a book of poetry vs a novel.  I try to intersperse "serious" works as well, TCat.  Right now, about a third of the way in "Crime and Punishment," after discussions here, actually.  

Wow.  I haven't read C&P yet, but I'm sure it will make its way into my library.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 310311312313314 320>