Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 320>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimson thing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 09:59
I just started Lempriere's Dictionary a week or so ago (I tend to have 3 or 4 books going at once, to suit my various moods - currently "Clear Waters Rising" - Nicholas Crane's account of a looooong walk through the mountains of Europe from Cape Finisterre to Istanbul (rather boring, sadly); Tim Binding's "Island Madness", a novel set on Guernsey during WW2, which is excellent; and, just finished, Martin Amis's "Money".)

Anyhow, I was finding Lempriere's Dictionary rather boring......then I got to the bit about the vicar & the mashed potato Wink, so the book has been promoted in the lists somewhat!! I also read, a couple of years ago, Norfolk's "The Pope's Rhinocerus"; also very entertaining..Smile
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:01
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

I plan to read some Plato very soon, but I suspect it'll get delayed, but I'll try read some later.

I also need to finish reading the following:

Jorge Luis Borges - Ficciones
Charlie Stross - Scratch Monkey
Terry Pratchett - The Wee Free Men
Charles Dickens - Martin Chuzzlewit
Jim Christopulos and Phil Smart - Van der Graaf Generator: The Book
Franz Kafka - The Trial
George Orwell - Down and Out in Paris and London

So I have a lot to finish!  Wish me luck on this.

Wow! Good luck.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanderGraafKommandöh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 13:09
Why thankyou, Rico!  Some of these books have been half read for quite some time, so it may come to the point whereby I start afresh on them.

I think I'll finish the Borges first, as these are just short stories.

Also add to my list:

Lord Dunsany.  I have started to read a few of his collection of short stories also and need to finish these off.  An excellent writer I must say and a must for those into fantasy fiction (but not of the sword and sorcery kind).
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 14:47
Originally posted by crimson thing crimson thing wrote:

I just started Lempriere's Dictionary a week or so ago (I tend to have 3 or 4 books going at once, to suit my various moods - currently "Clear Waters Rising" - Nicholas Crane's account of a looooong walk through the mountains of Europe from Cape Finisterre to Istanbul (rather boring, sadly); Tim Binding's "Island Madness", a novel set on Guernsey during WW2, which is excellent; and, just finished, Martin Amis's "Money".)

Anyhow, I was finding Lempriere's Dictionary rather boring......then I got to the bit about the vicar & the mashed potato Wink, so the book has been promoted in the lists somewhat!! I also read, a couple of years ago, Norfolk's "The Pope's Rhinocerus"; also very entertaining..Smile

I had exactly the same experience; the book did not grip me until I reached the part with the vicar and the mashed potatoes, but when I reached it I fell off my chair laughing, and from that point on the book really picked up pace. (Be prepared for a very horrible scene shortly after that laugh with the vicar!)

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 01:30
Dostoievski - The third and last volume of "A Writer's Journal".
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 03:34
I would highly recommend a couple of books I've recently finished by Carl Hiaasen, 'Sick puppy' and 'Skinny dip'; very funny and wickedly sharp ecologically based satire.

I've only read the above 2 books by him, but I understand most of his novels are set in Florida, dealing with the state's slow but sure eco-rape by the big corporations (especially Disney) - his books are written in an easy to read style, but don't let that put you off - the plots are tight and complex, the characters well drawn, but the humour is so sharp at times, you may need to wear gloves...

Edited by Jim Garten - June 30 2006 at 03:34

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 07:05
I finally finished Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra and I still don't know what it was about. Confused
Paul K. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 08:37
^^ Oh yeah, Nietzsche's works are very hard to digest.
So far I've read "Daybreak", "Antichrist", "Human, All Too Human", parts of "Beyond Good And Evil" and "Thus Spoke Zarathustra".
My favourite philosopher.
Weasels ripped my flesh
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 14:21
I'm currently reading a book of poems by Dylan Thomas called Deaths and Entrances.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 14:44
I started reading Nick Cave's novel "And the Ass Saw the Angel".
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 14:50
Finished Dostoyevsky's "The Devils"(also known as "The Possessors" and "The Demons"... choose whatever name you like best).

-- Ivan
sig
Paul K. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 02:51
^^^ I think "The Demons" is more correct title.
Weasels ripped my flesh
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 04:29
 Life of Pi by Yann Martel.Thumbs Up
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosescar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 16:43
Willem Frederik Hermans - De Laatste Roker

He's a Dutch writer and he kicks ass. There are very few translations, if any, though.
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 03:42
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I started reading Nick Cave's novel "And the Ass Saw the Angel".

Good book - taken from a weird perspective, as I recall, but a great first novel.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daz2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 15:03
Shaun Hutson - No Survivors
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 03:22
Originally posted by daz2112 daz2112 wrote:

Shaun Hutson - No Survivors

It's been a while since I read any Hutson (who's a bit of a prog fan, himself) - as I remember him, he's somewhat akin to James Herbert... but with more blood!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 09:17
Essays,by Jorge Luis Borges
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 09:23
I am currently reading this:

Next schoolyear I'll be following a course on the history of art, so I thought I'd get started during the holiday. Very interesting book. The writer avoided the use of very "academical" language, so it's easy to read. It also was pretty cheap. Only € 35,- for over 600 pages, including many beautiful pictures. I'm on page 159 right now and I can highly recommend it! Clap

Edited by Joren - July 09 2006 at 09:26
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Australian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 03:28
Treasure Island
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 320>