Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater Enter Studio to Record 12th album
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater Enter Studio to Record 12th album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 15:45
isn't him saying "it wasn't very good" simply him voicing his opinion?

Edited by Sumdeus - January 06 2013 at 15:46
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 22:52
Originally posted by 2112R 2112R wrote:

Of course it is all a matter of opinion, but does something have to be groundbreaking to be one of the best?

Good point. I suppose the only things I can say I really disliked about it was the (in my opinion) overuse of angel chorus synth and LaBrie's voice in general.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 23:07
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Originally posted by 2112R 2112R wrote:

Of course it is all a matter of opinion, but does something have to be groundbreaking to be one of the best?

Good point. I suppose the only things I can say I really disliked about it was the (in my opinion) overuse of angel chorus synth and LaBrie's voice in general.

What didn't you like about Labrie's voice on the album?  I thought it was a good performance, appropriately restrained but not stale, and emotional without being too try-hardy.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 23:24
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

What didn't you like about Labrie's voice on the album?  I thought it was a good performance, appropriately restrained but not stale, and emotional without being too try-hardy.
His vocals just aren't interesting enough to me. He has an awesome range, certainly, but it's just a bit *too* clean. Not quite metal-sounding enough. (If that makes any sense. Tongue

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - January 06 2013 at 23:29
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 05:36
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Because it wasn't very good obviously....

Why do you insist on using such language?  Why can't you just say something like "it didn't meet my preferences" or simply "I didn't like it"?

Wacko

It's this kind of thing that explains my inactivity on the forums as of late.

That's why I took a 3 month long break as well.

I look forward to the new record, I was pleasantly surprised by ADToE.

Do you mean my obviously controversial comment or DTGfans reply?

DTGfans reply. You gave an opinion. He gave some kind of... musical political correctness...?

No, I showed how you present an opinion as opinion rather than presenting it as fact.

I didn't present it as fact. I am aware that some fans like the album.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 05:40
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

It didn't seem very obvious to me, nor most people. I'll admit it was a safe album, to prove that the band could continue without Portnoy, but some of the music on ADTOE is some of the most exciting since Octavarium the song, or Six Degrees. However, Mangini will have some influence on the music this time, so I'm intrigued.

I think it is very obvious that if I say my expectations aren't high after the last album then i think that album is bad. Simple English.

You may disagree but you'd be wrong.

I was taking the "obviously" comment and turning it around. You might have thought the album was good, but disappointing. I didn't know you thought it was bad, which I wouldn't call it.

I didn't actually call it bad. It isn't bad. Just a bit tired and boring. Yes I was disappointed so I think the "not very good" is apt. Sorry for coming off as a bit of an arse in my reply to you. 
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 09:34
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Many people loved Justin Bieber as well.

Hence why it's not obvious that he sucks.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 09:44
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

Oh, I think it is...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 09:58

Why do you insist on using such language?  Why can't you just say something like "it didn't meet my preferences" or simply "I didn't like it"?

Wacko

Not really this that has kept me away from this site in general for a few months, but I understand what you are saying. There has been other stuff keeping me away.

Anyhow, back on topic. ADTOE was for ME a disappointment..but after lamenting on that for awhile, I am not surprised. There was way too much turmoil going on for them to say they gave it 100%..I still think they should have heeded part of Portnoy's message and taken a break from recording. The album has many songs that just don't do anything for me. For me its at best a 4-song album....the others are truely filler.
"lets hurry up record it....print it, press it..ship it and go on tour before people notice that we had a huge disruption!!"

As with any album I look forward to what they come up with and judgement will happen only then.....I mean for all I know they could be planning a country/progmetal album.

HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 12:53

Oh, I think it is...

You can think that all you want, but it's not true. If it were obvious, there wouldn't be so many people who disagree.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 12:57

Oh, I think it is...

You can think that all you want, but it's not true. If it were obvious, there wouldn't be so many people who disagree.

Screw them.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 16:29
Back to topic
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 16:48

Oh, I think it is...

Your entire argument is based on one word that he used in the sentence. Give it up before you embarrass yourself.

ADToE was a safe album and a typical Dream Theater album which is why I hated it.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 19:41
In words of Henry Plainview

Nobody cares
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 21:17
I was rather a bit disapointed with the last album. It did have all the elements that have made previous DT albums brilliant (plus some of those elements that could make them not so brilliant), but in the end I guess that's it's very flaw. It's just more of the same. For 3 or 4 albums that might be good, but after 11 albums, perhaps it's a bit too much. Plus, most important, even though most of it's songs may be very good, they just aren't as good as their best songs from previous albums. I might say the songs sound uninspired. I really hope Mangini really gets into the writing process (and that he proves himself up to the task), I guess a bit of new perspective could do the band a lot of good. Also, I wish they would make the album shorter, and stick to the very best they can come up with, without trying to fill the 80 min that a CD can hold. I have found that even though I really love DT and have an enormous amound of music that I enjoy, there's no one single album that I would call a masterpiece, and that's because on every album there's an important amount of songs that I don't care for. However, I have also noticed that for most of their albums I could easily chose over 40 min of music at least that I love, and if those albums only had those songs they would all be masterpieces for me (and the only album that has a whole CD that I love is a double album, and I don't really care for the other CD).
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 21:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was rather a bit disapointed with the last album. It did have all the elements that have made previous DT albums brilliant (plus some of those elements that could make them not so brilliant), but in the end I guess that's it's very flaw. It's just more of the same. For 3 or 4 albums that might be good, but after 11 albums, perhaps it's a bit too much. Plus, most important, even though most of it's songs may be very good, they just aren't as good as their best songs from previous albums. I might say the songs sound uninspired. I really hope Mangini really gets into the writing process (and that he proves himself up to the task), I guess a bit of new perspective could do the band a lot of good. Also, I wish they would make the album shorter, and stick to the very best they can come up with, without trying to fill the 80 min that a CD can hold. I have found that even though I really love DT and have an enormous amound of music that I enjoy, there's no one single album that I would call a masterpiece, and that's because on every album there's an important amount of songs that I don't care for. However, I have also noticed that for most of their albums I could easily chose over 40 min of music at least that I love, and if those albums only had those songs they would all be masterpieces for me (and the only album that has a whole CD that I love is a double album, and I don't really care for the other CD).

Well written. Clap

This is exactly how I feel about the last album.

And you seem to have taken the words right out of my mouth about the length of the album. I'd much rather see them do a 50 minute album this time round, where the quality of the music is consistently good.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2013 at 21:57
Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well written. Clap
This is exactly how I feel about the last album.
And you seem to have taken the words right out of my mouth about the length of the album. I'd much rather see them do a 50 minute album this time round, where the quality of the music is consistently good.

Of course, the problem would be to choose the best 50 min from each album. Specially where DT is concerned, I have found that the favourite songs from one fan are the least liked by another, and so on.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 00:18

Wacko

That's why I took a 3 month long break as well.

I look forward to the new record, I was pleasantly surprised by ADToE.

Do you mean my obviously controversial comment or DTGfans reply?

DTGfans reply. You gave an opinion. He gave some kind of... musical political correctness...?

No, I showed how you present an opinion as opinion rather than presenting it as fact.

He was asserting his opinion. If you make your opinion sound too much like an opinion it won't sound very strong. By stating his opinion the way he did, his thoughts on the album are very clear.

Stop taking everything so personally about Dream Theater. They are a band. They aren't worth it. I would never be this protective of a band I like and I love some bands.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 10:26
Why?
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 12:05
Well, sticking to the topic, I will be interested to hear what they come up with and if Mangini's input makes any difference.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if anything changed at all.

My opinion (please don't make me repeat this in a reply) is that the last album was generic DT.  This, of course, doesn't mean "bad", just boring.  There was very little in that album that grabbed me, and I find it hard to pay attention to it all the way through.  Of course, I'm not really much of a prog metal fan so my opinion may not be relevant in that regard.  However, DT have managed to interest me enough over the years to pick up nearly all their albums, and a few I still enjoy listening to from time to time.  The last album was not one of them (for me it's 6 Degrees and Octavarium.........actually, Black Clouds would have been one too if not for the horrid lyrics that make it really hard for me to take it seriously at all).

I will agree with whoever said that LaBrie performed well on ADToE........he has annoyed me in the past, and one of the strongest points of this album is that he sings quite well on it.

Anyway, I will certainly be interested to see where they go with this new one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>