Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater Enter Studio to Record 12th album
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater Enter Studio to Record 12th album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 02:43
Sorry but as technically proficient as the guys are, DT are very weak at trying to be jazzy, even their fusion attempts (LTE etc) do not succeed IMO in incorporating real jazzy elements, they are more like prog-metal jamming with prominent keyboards. I think the most jazzy member DT has ever had was Derek Sherinian.
And of course, a sax solo like Another Day has nothing of jazzy...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 11:41
Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

I have a strange feeling that the new album will be a concept album

An album long piece that will drive Snow Dog crazy?

Nahhhhh ... that band can only do songs now! Concepts are gone! Snow Dog's prediction is more than safe. Probably accurate! Or as the old radio folks used to say ... MOS ... more of the same!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 09:08
Well, I find self titling and album to be lazy.  If it really is a totally new and different album from DT, which I find a near impossibility since Pettruci is once again producing, then I guess I could see why they'd do that.  No, it sounds to me like they are simply trying to make a "pure" DT album..........in other words, more of the same.

Of course, I'm not the biggest fan of the band, and it's all just my opinion.  As usual, it's all just idle speculation until the album is out and we put our ears to it.  My personal expectations are not high, so they won't have to try too hard to please me........just do something, anything, different.  Heck, if they just made something along the lines of 6 Degrees (the song) or Octavarium, I wouldn't even care if it wasn't new or different Big smile
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:00
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Sorry but as technically proficient as the guys are, DT are very weak at trying to be jazzy, even their fusion attempts (LTE etc) do not succeed IMO in incorporating real jazzy elements, they are more like prog-metal jamming with prominent keyboards. I think the most jazzy member DT has ever had was Derek Sherinian.
And of course, a sax solo like Another Day has nothing of jazzy...

Well, your right about the last part where ANOTHER DAY sax solo doesn't constitute as jazz or even 'jazzy' for That matter. The saxophone is known to be a prominent Jazz instrument, but it all depends on how it's played in relation to the music given to be called or considered 'jazz.'

I was wrong to say Dream Theater might incorporate some 'jazzy elements' like in the song ANOTHER DAY.
I guess now my feeling is that when I hear the song Another day it's like a post/jazz song where traditional jazz music are not used in vein for the sound of jazz, that which it embodies....typically.

Also, have you heard Liquid Trio experiment?? It's Portnoy, Levin and Ruddess. You can be sure that's jazz. Really good too. Even have jazzy stereo typical titles to their songs. Anyway. It's jazz. Far more than LTE
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:04
He mentioned LTE in the same post.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:20
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

He mentioned LTE in the same post.

Oh i made a mistake. I mean their is Liquid Tension experiment and Liquid Trio experiment.
Wasn't sure if he was referring to both or just Tension.

I classify them as different. Not the same band. Just want to be sure.
:)
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:29
I was referring to Liquid Tension, I have not heard the Liquid Trio album, I always thought it would be something like half-baked LTE rehearsals / jams.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:44

I was referring to Liquid Tension, I have not heard the Liquid Trio album, I always thought it would be something like half-baked LTE rehearsals / jams.

You know the third track "914" on LTE2? It's an album of tracks like that, obviously with variations, which Petrucci was not a part of because he left the studio when his wife went into labor.

It's a fun listen once in a while, but I don't pull it out often compared to LTE1, LTE2, or Live In NYC.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:56
I will say another thing.

I think we all should really examine the word 'different.' As we know, there are so many varying degrees of what can be classified as a difference or a degree of difference like temperate, moderate or even slightly you be a word used to be thrown in front of the word.....difference. Anyway, my point is that DT are using the word different very loosely in my opinion saying that their next album will be something different.
let's just ask a couple of questions to sort out what will Truely be different.

Will The new album be different sounding? Absolutely.

Will the album be a different style or even an incorporation of different styles?? My opinion. No.
And it's this question that get a lot of people confused when they hear DT say yeah are album will be completely different from our last. To be clear, in my opinion of course, the album will be different sounding but not a different style.

Dream Theater are a true Progressive Metal band and they established themselves as that. I think at this point their is no turning back. Dream Theater are loudly and proudly prog metal and sometimes a little symphonic at times.
I don't ever see them becoming something they are not like mixing or fusing other genres to their music like jazz, zeuhl, psyche Rock or even electronic to the point where any if those genres would be 'prominent' in their overall sound.

Dream Theater are an incredible band because they have explored a certain sub genre of music (prog metal) to its core and true depths. I respect that. I respect that so very much and I think at this point, for all they have done musically with in the genre, it would be extreamly difficult to find a way of creating a far different sound from what music they have been producing for the last 8 years. Can we say the water well is finally running dry? Maybe, but I sure love the brand of music they bring typical or not to my ears. I'm sure the next album will be quality with in the realm of what they Truely know how to do....that is....of course....produce thee most awesome prog metal that I've ever heard.

One last thing. I was stupid to say that i hope they incorporate some saxophone like they did in Another day. I'm a moron for saying that. I just have to 'get over' my deep affinity and love for the Images and Words album. I mean Christ, Another day is a song they did almost 25 years ago and have they brought back the saxophone in a song since? No. They have not and their is a reason for that. It was a one time thing for the sake and character of the album they were making with I&W's. I thought it was a huge success, Another Day....meh I just gotta get over my own sh*t. It's in the past.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:05

Great! Pick it up! It's not half fast at all. Let me know what you think of it when you can.
To me, it's by far the the most true jazz sounding effort from the likes of Rudess and Portnoy.
Levin's already ventured deeply in the jazz territory as you know already with K.C
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:18
Don't forget about Liquid Trio Experiment 2 - When The Keyboard Breaks: Live In Chicago. Petrucci, Portnoy and Levin perform live after Rudess' keyboard broke down. He winds up coming back to play guitar, while Petrucci plays bass, and Levin plays chapman stick. Also, the drummer from Anthrax comes out for a song, while Portnoy plays bass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Keyboard_Breaks:_Live_in_Chicago
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:31
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Its all on-line posting fluff by Petrucci.......the proof is in the pudding (not cake, though I luv cake..), when the album comes out of the oven....The judging will then begin.
I like that they chose a self-titled album
But it needs to be brilliant!

You gonna buy it on vinyl? I bet ya are. It is a bigger cake then a cd. :)

Of course I will buy the vinyl version if they issue one, I tend to be a completist on vinyl......Since that is my preferred method of listening.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:33
^ yup. Solid mention as well. At least we know just how capable the members and ex members of DT are at infusing quality jazz traditions into their prog rock/metal sound. They can even do Jazz all by its beautiful self.

Oh hey, Darkshade, what did you think of the Rudess/Pefrucci release of "an evening with Petrucci and Rudess?'

I thought it was excellent. Furia Taurina is an amazing instrumental. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:37

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Its all on-line posting fluff by Petrucci.......the proof is in the pudding (not cake, though I luv cake..), when the album comes out of the oven....The judging will then begin.
I like that they chose a self-titled album
But it needs to be brilliant!

You gonna buy it on vinyl? I bet ya are. It is a bigger cake then a cd. :)

Of course I will buy the vinyl version if they issue one, I tend to be a completist on vinyl......Since that is my preferred method of listening.

Yup. You will have it. Deluxe boxset will be available. Think it will include high cd and vinyl. ;)
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 12:06
I really like Evening With JP & JR, I enjoy the mellow vibe, good for rainy days.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 12:10
rainy days. Nice.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 12:48
Thanks, will try to grab Liquid Trio. I have also An Evening With Petrucci and Rudess and I enjoyed it, although I have to admit that like so many other albums in my collection in rarely gets a new spin...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 10:32
^ oh sounds like someone's prog collection is getting big. :)

Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 14:17
I have to admit: Not excited about DT at all.  They introduced me to prog, but I left them behind many years ago.
theprogmind.com
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 20:02
Yea you got a much better band as your name and avatar :]
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>