Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat was your first prog concert?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:32
In the late 70s - beginning of the 80s, after I had left school, I got to see a quite a few good prog bands, such as Camel, Jethro Tull, Genesis twice, Tangerine Dream, Rush three times, mostly in the City Hall Newcastle, but I do remember seeing  Steve Hackett at Reading Rock Festival - It was a barmy summers night and his guitar just soared across the night sky - fantastic ! I think my very first prog gig out of all of them was Rush Hemesphere tour. I saw many other bands at that time, referenced under prog related, it used to be a band a fortnight.
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:03
Steven Wilson in London, not a month ago.
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:51
Not my first shows but from my stub collection.
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/8161/Dregss.jpg
I went to a few Dregs concerts back in the day.  Don't tell anyone but I was at several, Agora Ballroom shows before I was old enough to be there.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 23 2013 at 19:52
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:36
Rush - 20 February 1981 at Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, MI. Special guest was Max Webster.

It was also my first ever rock concert, at age 16 Smile
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 14:44
My 1st prog concert was July '76 : Yes and opener Gentle Giant at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.  I remember getting there at about 4am to get a good spot in line.  This was the Yes solo album tour with Patrick Moraz and I still remember him doing this incredible organ solo.  The Roger Dean stage design was the 3 headed hydra and was the last tour Yes had an elaborate stage. 

One month later I saw Jethro Tull with openers Rory Gallagher and Electric Light Orchestra at the Oakland Coliseum.

My 1st concert was 1 month before Yes when I saw The Tubes at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts...they blew my 15 year old mind LOL
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 16:53
Magma in june 1999 near Brest 
By the way last year I had the pleasure to see Ian Anderson in Quimper(25 kms from my hometown)for TAAB 2 tour:it was great and in july 2013 Steve Hackett will play at the same venue.I'm really eager to see him!
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:33
I saw Steve Hackett in '92 at a small club in Northern California.  The best part of the show for me was the encore...Steve came out alone with a classical guitar and played about 20 minutes of unaccompanied classical pieces.  
celestialsound View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 07:58
Progressive Nation 2009: Scale the Summit (How I got into them) Bigelf (meh) Zappa Plays Zapps (incredible) and of course, Dream Theater
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:18
1989 or 1990, at the Montreal Forum, my first prog concert was Rush, during the Presto Tour, with Voivod as an opening act, when they were touring for Nothingface.  Amazing double bill !
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 16:43
I've just bought my ticket for Steve Hackett(july the 26th).Coutdown has begun!
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 16:47
Rush, September 2012

MJAben View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 17:51
Originally posted by celestialsound celestialsound wrote:

Progressive Nation 2009: Scale the Summit (How I got into them) Bigelf (meh) Zappa Plays Zapps (incredible) and of course, Dream Theater

Huh, oddly enough this was the first concert I paid for...

Though my dad took me to see Genesis when I was a kid before that.
The anteater is the worlds fastest land mammal.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 20:37
My first prog concert, and first concert ever, was ELP, June 1977 at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. I was stationed there with the Navy for a few weeks for training, and I heard some of the guys mention that ELP was in town tonight. My immediate reaction: “I’m going!” Since we bought the tickets that night, it was hardly the best seat in the house, but still very memorable. This was early in their Works I tour, when they had the orchestra and choir conducted by Godfrey Salmon.

Edited by AreYouHuman - April 12 2013 at 20:39
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 21:20
This thread deserve some
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 07:15
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

My first prog concert, and first concert ever, was ELP, June 1977 at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. I was stationed there with the Navy for a few weeks for training, and I heard some of the guys mention that ELP was in town tonight. My immediate reaction: “I’m going!” Since we bought the tickets that night, it was hardly the best seat in the house, but still very memorable. This was early in their Works I tour, when they had the orchestra and choir conducted by Godfrey Salmon.

Cool.  I saw them 2 months later in Oakland after they dropped the orchestra.  I remember they opened with Karn Evil 9 1st Imp Pt 2 with Lake singing, "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..."  My seats were pretty lousy but I didn't care, it was ELP!

At one point in the show Keith was having some problems and a road tech came out and was working on his setup between songs.  Keith steps up to the mic and says, "I'm having a little organ trouble...bet you can all get into that." LOL
JocBT View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 15:59
First prog concert was two days ago in Toronto. Saw Yes and it was absolutely incredible. I think all the hate that Jon Davison gets is so unnecessary. At this point, he is so much better off in the band than Jon Anderson, as the hostility between him and everyone else is awesome. Davison is the perfect replacement (much better than Benoit). His voice on the Going for the One songs was absolutely perfect, I couldn't have imagine seeing a better first prog concert.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 02:40
Originally posted by JocBT JocBT wrote:

First prog concert was two days ago in Toronto. Saw Yes and it was absolutely incredible. I think all the hate that Jon Davison gets is so unnecessary. At this point, he is so much better off in the band than Jon Anderson, as the hostility between him and everyone else is awesome. Davison is the perfect replacement (much better than Benoit). His voice on the Going for the One songs was absolutely perfect, I couldn't have imagine seeing a better first prog concert.

Wasn't aware of any hate towards Jon Davison. Is that on Yes forums?

If you like Davison you should ckech out the last 3 Glass Hammer albums. All are very lovely and Davison is just wonderfulApprove
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 16:32
My first prog concert was Genesis on 'The Lamb' tour. I saw them on Thanksgiving of 1974 when I was 15. It was incredible!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 19:23
Originally posted by humor4u1959 humor4u1959 wrote:

My first prog concert was Genesis on 'The Lamb' tour. I saw them on Thanksgiving of 1974 when I was 15. It was incredible!

Wow, what a great start!  Has anything you've seen since matched The Lamb?
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 20:35
The.Crimson.King said:
At one point in the show Keith was having some problems and a road tech came out and was working on his setup between songs. Keith steps up to the mic and says, "I'm having a little organ trouble...bet you can all get into that.   

When I saw them, Keith did a solo during “Hoedown” on a theremin or like device, handling it in a “shocking” manner! More organ trouble?

The.Crimson.King said:
My 1st prog concert was July '76 : Yes and opener Gentle Giant at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. I remember getting there at about 4am to get a good spot in line. This was the Yes solo album tour with Patrick Moraz and I still remember him doing this incredible organ solo. The Roger Dean stage design was the 3 headed hydra and was the last tour Yes had an elaborate stage.

Didn’t get the chance to see Yes until the 1991 Union tour. They came to Indianapolis while I was there in 1977, but it was after I had to move on, this being the Navy. Luckily they were playing in the Norfolk, VA area, but I was new there, and poor planning brought on by own inexperience made me miss that one. Next chance was the Big Generator tour in 1987, but several dates, including the one in Grand Rapids, MI, were cancelled due to Trevor Rabin’s health issues (his gallbladder, if I remember correctly). So if there was THE tour to catch them on, it had to be Union!

Bill Bruford was a busy chap around that time; he’d just played in the area about 6 months before with Earthworks.

humor4u1959 said:

Ooooo! SO green with envy!!!!

I so wanted to see Genesis on the Lamb tour in the spring of ‘75, but didn’t know anyone who was going and otherwise lacked the wherewithal to get there. A little over a year later they returned to the area, sans Gabriel…still didn’t get the chance.

The.Crimson.King said:
I saw Steve Hackett in '92 at a small club in Northern California. The best part of the show for me was the encore...Steve came out alone with a classical guitar and played about 20 minutes of unaccompanied classical pieces.

Even greener!!!! He might have played in GR on that same tour, but his management missed the mark so inexcusably. He’s well aware he has plenty of fans in west Michigan, where he likely would’ve sold out a decent-sized hall.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>