Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost integral member of Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Who was the most integral member of Yes who defined their essence?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [13.89%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
26 [36.11%]
32 [44.44%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 23:22
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Bill Bruford, looked what happened to them after he left.  Pretty much nothing.

Thank god he left Yes.

And my choice would be Steve Howe, easily.
why thank god he left Yes?? Yes's drums were never the same afterwardsConfused
I think what he meant was some sympathy for Bill, who felt like he would no longer belong in Yes' picture.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 23:53
Can't pick between Anderson and Squire.
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 00:14
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Anderson is the spiritual core, and spirituality is central to what Yes is to me.

NAIL, RIGHT ON THE HEAD
Handshake
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 02:30
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

and I just wish Anderson would had left Yes long time ago

I'm curious about this: why would you say that? Because Fly From Here proves to be a better album that the albums before? Is your theory that Anderson was withholding a truly progressive Yes?

Still, ABWH was more progressive than Rabin era Yes in those days, and I wonder what would have happened if Squire c.s. wouldn't have teamed up in the past few years with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes. 

It's a fascinating thought, though.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 08:06
For me it's Chris Squire. As important as Jon Anderson has been I can't envision Yes without Squire. I think Drama is a great example. That album is sometimes overlooked-not by knowledgeable fans, but by casual fans, but there is a lot of great material on that album and no Jon Anderson. I think even if he did not return they could have carried on well.

I do think that Steve Howe is also a key to a successfu Yes. His prescence was soarly missed during the Rabin incarnation of the Band. Rabin is a talented musician and fine guitarist, but seeing them live and listenint to Rabin try to play some of the older, Howe material was painful. I also didn't care for his more pop approach to Yes.
l
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 08:20
^I enjoy Rabin playing Howe. In  some cases I prefer it. Starship Trooper for example
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 09:06
Anderson-Howe wrote most of the big classics with help from the rest---For me, before "The Yes Album" the group had some  ideas but was sorta not focused--they needed a genius guitarist to cement the ideas and Howe did that---
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 10:38
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I'm curious about this: why would you say that? Because Fly From Here proves to be a better album that the albums before? Is your theory that Anderson was withholding a truly progressive Yes?

Still, ABWH was more progressive than Rabin era Yes in those days, and I wonder what would have happened if Squire c.s. wouldn't have teamed up in the past few years with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes. 

Because I hate his castratto voice, it's like an ice pick in my eardrum.

I love Drama, 1,000 times better than Tormato, GFTO and even Tales, because of Trevor Horn's voice.

And Yes, IMO Fly From Here is better than any post Relayer album, except Drama

I love Yes music, but they are not uiin my top 20 because Jon's voice

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 09 2013 at 10:39

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 11:07
Squire. You can hear on Time And A Word how much he dominated. Not too many bass gods back then compared to other instruments. Without replacements after that album, Yes could have wound up being known as that early prog band with the awesome bass player and girly singer (think Geddy Lee playing with a bunch of nobodies).
The bass licks in Roundabout and that Fish instrumental from Fragile seals the deal for my pick.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 11:54

I love Drama, 1,000 times better than Tormato, GFTO and even Tales, because of Trevor Horn's voice.

Iván

Right, now I understand. It's the voice, not the compositions. Yes, I'm not to keen on Anderson's voice myself, though I don't hate it.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 12:27

Iván

Did you get the Live at Lyon album? Perhaps you would find it interesting, to have many of the classic Yes songs without Anderson (though for me, Benoit sounds close enough to Anderson, so I don't know if it would be much of a difference for you). Perhaps they'll release a new live album with Davison next, which you might find interesting too. As for me, neither of the 3 singers who have replaced Anderson are quiet as great, they may be close enough (specially Benoit), but they kind of lack the magic that make me love his singing. I guess the one that really did a wonderful job for me with one of his songs was Annie Haslam singing "Turn of the Century".
robotson21 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 19:27
I think the album to judge Yes without Squire is the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe album - which I didn't think was very good. Over produced. Too much Anderson  'New Age'. Maybe lacking some rock ooomph from Squire???
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 19:35
I got that album at the time but it didn't age well...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 19:49
Originally posted by robotson21 robotson21 wrote:

I think the album to judge Yes without Squire is the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe album - which I didn't think was very good. Over produced. Too much Anderson  'New Age'. Maybe lacking some rock ooomph from Squire???

I love Anderson's singing but with ABWH and with subsequent Yes albums there was too much ANderson airey fairy stuff (as Howe had said) and not enough jamming by the 3 great guys Howe, White and Squire. Hope new album has more playing less lyrics.
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 02:08

Good, I'm not crazy, the poll agrees with me...cos it's gotta be Anderson. Rick's great, but lotsa guys did "keyboards." Chris and Bill are great, but lotsa guys did "rhythm." And Howe's country licks were definitely different and distinct, but integral to the sound of YES? NO. Heh. God I'm clever. 

Ahem. But it is the helium induced vocals of one J. Anderson that make all Yes albums sound like Yes albums. The vocals and the spiritual, mystical hoo-hah. The best bet, I would think, is not to look at the albums minus key members, but to look at said members solo works. I'm mainly familiar with Anderson and Wakeman, but it's easy to tell between those two who sounds more like "classic" Yes...

"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 14:41
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I love Anderson's singing but with ABWH and with subsequent Yes albums there was too much ANderson airey fairy stuff (as Howe had said) and not enough jamming by the 3 great guys Howe, White and Squire. Hope new album has more playing less lyrics.

But ABWH would have to be compared with Trevor Rabin's Yes, not with the Yes of the 70's, to put it in perspective of the times...
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 17:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

But ABWH would have to be compared with Trevor Rabin's Yes, not with the Yes of the 70's, to put it in perspective of the times...

well I like ABWH better in that case--at least I still listen to it now and then for the playing---can't say the same for Yes west
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 18:20

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

well I like ABWH better in that case--at least I still listen to it now and then for the playing---can't say the same for Yes west

However, by far my favourite song from either ABWH or Yes West is "Endless Dream".
invisible-man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 15:14
Jon Anerson
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 23:13
There are grounds for suggesting several members:

- Jon Anderson for overall musical direction,
- Steve Howe for his writing and playing,
- Chris Squire for his writing and playing and permanence,
- Rick Wakeman for bringing the classical influence which cemented their classic albums,
- Alan White for his rudimental (not rudimentary) drumming and his energy and his ears which are THIS BIG.

But the crux of Yes, what made their classic albums unique, was never being the outlet for a single person's vision e.g. ELO, Tull. What you hear on Close To The Edge, on Tales, on Going For The One, is a bunch of excellent musicians all in the same room and arguing over everything. Take that away and you're left with some interesting solo work - but it's not Yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>