Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost integral member of Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Who was the most integral member of Yes who defined their essence?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [13.89%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
26 [36.11%]
32 [44.44%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 23:15
^ Well spoken.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 23:20
Originally posted by Ajay Ajay wrote:

There are grounds for suggesting several members:

- Jon Anderson for overall musical direction,
- Steve Howe for his writing and playing,
- Chris Squire for his writing and playing and permanence,
- Rick Wakeman for bringing the classical influence which cemented their classic albums,
- Alan White for his rudimental (not rudimentary) drumming and his energy and his ears which are THIS BIG.

But the crux of Yes, what made their classic albums unique, was never being the outlet for a single person's vision e.g. ELO, Tull. What you hear on Close To The Edge, on Tales, on Going For The One, is a bunch of excellent musicians all in the same room and arguing over everything. Take that away and you're left with some interesting solo work - but it's not Yes.

Think what you say here is correct---great Yes --the best Yes music is 5 amazing musicians jamming and hammering it out---which is why Yes west could never be great---and other Yes line-ups produced mediocrity.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 23:24
^ What's Yes West?
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 01:02
As a bass player, I kinda have an extra amount of appreciation for what Squire does for their sound. Wasn't till I took up the bass when I realized how great of a role he plays. He's the best kind of bass player: rarely follows the other instruments at all, yet his basslines work perfectly with the rest. I vote for him.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 23:38
David Benoit

Edited by Tapfret - February 03 2013 at 23:39
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 09:00
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ What's Yes West?

come on you know the band all moved to California--Yes with Rabin otherwise know as Cinema. Everyone knows yo have to have cold damp weather (England) to make good progBig smile
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 22:45
Howe for me. I love Squire's bass approach, but one of my favorite aspects of yes is Howe's soaring additions to the mix and inventiveness. Plus, his work on Relayer sets the bar miles above the heads of the vast majority of prog guitarists.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 22:50
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Howe for me. I love Squire's bass approach, but one of my favorite aspects of yes is Howe's soaring additions to the mix and inventiveness. Plus, his work on Relayer sets the bar miles above the heads of the vast majority of prog guitarists.

Clap
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 23:44

^ What's Yes West?

Yes West stands for the Yes that produced albums with Trevor Horn and Trevor Rabin and who produced 90125 and Big Generator Wink
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 02:36
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Clap

Why thank you. Smile *takes a bow*

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 02:38
Howe
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 04:47

^ What's Yes West?
come on you know the band all moved to California--Yes with Rabin otherwise know as Cinema. Everyone knows yo have to have cold damp weather (England) to make good progBig smile
Never heard them referred to that way before.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 05:27
Successful bands are always synergistic entities (on many levels), which means they are more than the arithmetic sum of their members. Therefore, the question about who defined the success of Yes is hard to answer.

As for the "most integral member", that would have to be Chris Squire. He is the only member of Yes who has never left the band and played on all albums (yes, this IS important, since we are talking about the whole of the Yes career).

I'd also argue that the "Squire Sound" - even over the "Anderson Sound" - was the uniquely valuable component of the earlier Yes.  

Edited by Argonaught - February 05 2013 at 19:15
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 06:22

^ What's Yes West?
Never heard them referred to that way before.

They are often referred to as "Yes West". There were two versions of Yes around - the Rabin/Squire and the ABWH one and they eventually combined (well, sort of) on "Union".

As for the answer, it's either Anderson for his vocals and vision which are the heart of the classic Yes or Squire for being the only ever present member. Can't decide.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 18:31
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Successful bands are always synergistic entities (on many levels), which means they are more than the arithmetic sum of their members. Therefore, the question about who defined the success of Yes is hard to answer.
As for the "most integral member", it has to be Chris Squire. He is the only member of Yes who has never left the band and is playing on all albums (yes, this IS important, since we are talking about the whole of Yes career). I'd also argue that the "Squire Sound" - even over the "Anderson Sound" - was the uniquely valuable component of the earlier Yes.  

Well, for me ABWH is really Yes... more so than Yes West, actually. I don't know which legal reasons were there for them not being able to use the Yes name (surely Squire was somewhat involved, wheter intentionally or not), and besides, Union almost made ABWH oficially Yes. Plus, Anderson at least considers the ABWH album as a Yes album, and in some way the rest of the band had agreed with him... while he has been part of the band. If Anderson, Wakeman, and Rabbin end up making their new album together, I guess it would be as much a Yes album for me as "Fly from here" and the new album Yes is thinking about recording with Davison.

Edited by Dellinger - February 08 2013 at 18:39
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 08:13
Couldn't find David or Davison so decided not to bother..........
wehpanzer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 12:51
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

It's hard to determine Squire's importance, because he's played on every Yes album, so we don't have any albums without him to judge what impact his absence would have had. 

I'm going to have to go with Steve Howe; the band made at least one good album (90125) without him, but it didn't sound like Yes.  Whenever he's been a member, the band sounded like itself.
That's where you are wrong - we have Anderson, Wakeman and Howe, and it only sounds Yes-like.  As much as I love Tony Levin, he's not Squire.  I feel it's not even his bass playing, it's his harmony vocals that really make the Yes sound.<p>
So I would say Squire.
wehpanzer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 12:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

As for the "most integral member", it has to be Chris Squire. He is the only member of Yes who has never left the band and is playing on all albums (yes, this IS important, since we are talking about the whole of Yes career). I'd also argue that the "Squire Sound" - even over the "Anderson Sound" - was the uniquely valuable component of the earlier Yes.  

Well, for me ABWH is really Yes... more so than Yes West, actually. I don't know which legar reasons were there for them not being able to use the Yes name (surely Squire was somewhat involved, wheter intentionally or not), and besides, Union almost made ABWH oficially Yes. Plus, Anderson at least considers the ABWH album as a Yes album, and in some way the rest of the band had agreed with him... while he has been part of the band. If Anderson, Wakeman, and Rabbin end up making their new album together, I guess it would be as much a Yes album for me as "Fly from here" and the new album Yes is thinking about recording with Davison.
I disagree.  Squire had nothing to do with ABWH until Union, and then it was only his vocals.  Whereas there are some definately Yes-like parts to ABWH, it's not Yes without Squire.  Remember, Anderson refuses to do anything from Drama, but Drama rocked - I would absolutely LOVE to hear Anderson sing Tempus Fugit!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 18:50
Originally posted by wehpanzer wehpanzer wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, for me ABWH is really Yes... more so than Yes West, actually. I don't know which legar reasons were there for them not being able to use the Yes name (surely Squire was somewhat involved, wheter intentionally or not), and besides, Union almost made ABWH oficially Yes. Plus, Anderson at least considers the ABWH album as a Yes album, and in some way the rest of the band had agreed with him... while he has been part of the band. If Anderson, Wakeman, and Rabbin end up making their new album together, I guess it would be as much a Yes album for me as "Fly from here" and the new album Yes is thinking about recording with Davison.

I disagree.  Squire had nothing to do with ABWH until Union, and then it was only his vocals.  Whereas there are some definately Yes-like parts to ABWH, it's not Yes without Squire.  Remember, Anderson refuses to do anything from Drama, but Drama rocked - I would absolutely LOVE to hear Anderson sing Tempus Fugit!

Exactly because Squire didn't have anything to do with ABWH is that ABWH is the perfect album to compare how important he was to the Yes sound. Of course, the other problem is that by the 80's they were already making different music than what they did in their prime, so if ABWH isn't as good as their 70's albums, we might blame the time of it's release more than the absence of Squire. Another way to judge who was more Yes might be listening to their solo albums in the 70's (which I haven't heard all, but I guess most here would go with Fish out of Water in that case as the most Yessy). Also, I guess you could compare the Drama and ABWH albums and choose which one better achieves the Yes trademark sound in order to choose between Anderson and Squire. Still, I would have a hard time choosing between Anderson and Squire as the most integral member, perhaps giving the edge to Anderson, and Howe comes in third place. Also, I guess you could compare the Drama and ABWH albums and choose which one better achieves the Yes trademark sound in order to choose between Anderson and Squire.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 18:56
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Anderson is the spiritual core, and spirituality is central to what Yes is to me.

Yes.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>