Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJethro Tull : thanks for the memories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 15:42
Not to take away from what you said, but I think it is easy to argue that Jethro Tull toured extensively in 2012, promoting TAAB2.  The purists may be hung up on Barre being off the list, but let's face fact, Tull is Anderson and any capable backing band, and the current band is as capable as any.

So yest tremendous record of touring, and for most but a few, what they saw in 2012 was the New Jethro Tull!  Fronted by who most this Jethro Tull, Ian Anderson.< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 15:43
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

Jethro Tull is Ian Anderson and Martin Barre! 

All other musicians though extremely talented are secondary.

Possibly...but I like to point out that all of the commercial successes of Jethro Tull included Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond on the bass guitar (and "Japanese electric guitar," per Ian's comment onstage during the "Minstrel" show!)

Considering he was taught to play the instrument by Ian and then basically self-taught, I like to think of Jeffrey in the same class as Rutherford, Squire and Lake.  He was remarkable.  No other bassist for Tull had his unique manic energy, although Cornick was close.

I agree to an extent. But Ian did steal John Glascock from Carmen, and that band had made Ian and his band look bad one night in "In Concert" along with David Bowie! Carmen, died when John left, though their website says that it was when the producer left and dumped them. John Glascock, however, did not have as interesting an impact in Jethro Tull as he did in Carmen ... but I don't know many players that would decline to join Ian.

The hard part about Hammond, might just be not enough music knowledge ... which gets frustrating sometimes ... and I think that John was probably really well versed in music, and it shows in Carmen, a lot more than it does on Jethro Tull .... Carmen was much tougher with a Spanish Guitar lead ... but Jethro Tull, was ... the pinachle ... fame ... big name ... how could you resist, the devil or God? I am not sure that all of us would not do the same thing!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 09:13
Tull death us do part
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 15:51
Tull are still going strong. I haven't found a band with so many strong remasters. All of these rate at least 4 star to me:

Stand up 3 cd deluxe
Benefit remaster
Aqualung 2 cd 40 year anniversary
Thick as a brick
Warchild remaster
Songs from the wood remaster
Heavy horses remaster
Bursting out
Stormwatch remaster
A remaster
Roots to branches

If they can do a broadsword remix with a full range of 28 songs with drum remixes then that will definately be a 4 star rating too. Would like to see Dotcom with bonus tracks too. That would be 4 star too

Edited by dr prog - January 30 2013 at 15:53
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 08:33
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

The real Jethro Tull died 40 years ago. The Ian Anderson Band would have been a fairer title. In fact, beyond that original line-up, it's never been a band at all, it's a solo project with sidemen.
Would you say the same of other longlived bands with one (or zero) original members? Hawkwind, Fairport Convention, Yes, etc etc?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 08:45
I dont belive in nostaligy, or any kind of crab like there will never be bands as great as....noone knows, the 2020's may totaly blow away the 60's and 70's, we dont know.
But Tull is Tull, what they have done is a lot of fantistic shows and albums.
We can lis'n to those, until the day we are done, ourself.
 "everything must pass" : "George you know who"
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 05:20
None can replace Jethro Tull. There are many good young musicians, but Tull was unique.
I listen for albums that were recorded before I was born, and I feel they are saying about me. I can't say the same about new bands.
(And Ian's new album Homo Erraticus is fine! So, life goes on.)

Edited by charles_ryder - April 20 2014 at 05:45
om mani padme hum
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 19:02
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Possibly...but I like to point out that all of the commercial successes of Jethro Tull included Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond on the bass guitar (and "Japanese electric guitar," per Ian's comment onstage during the "Minstrel" show!)

Considering he was taught to play the instrument by Ian and then basically self-taught, I like to think of Jeffrey in the same class as Rutherford, Squire and Lake.  He was remarkable.  No other bassist for Tull had his unique manic energy, although Cornick was close.

I do concur wholeheartedly!
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 20:59
I can't say that I'm surprised given that these guys aren't young anymore, but it wouldn't matter to me if they continued or stopped touring as I'm not a big Tull fan anyway.

Edited by Mirror Image - April 20 2014 at 21:01
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 22:03
Tull were the best 70s band. Their heavy rock was up there with Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. Their folk was up there with Cat Stevens and their prog was up there with Yes and Gentle giant. They mixed it up and never really tried too hard to be prog like Yes and Genesis around 73 and 74. They had a great full time composer unlike King Crimson. No better band ever honestly
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 22:11
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Tull were the best 70s band. Their heavy rock was up there with Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. Their folk was up there with Cat Stevens and their prog was up there with Yes and Gentle giant. They mixed it up and never really tried too hard to be prog like Yes and Genesis around 73 and 74. They had a great full time composer unlike King Crimson. No better band ever honestly

I highly disagree. Tull may have had all the 'progressive' elements, but they ultimately could never touch Genesis, Yes, or King Crimson for me. I think their music lacks the inventiveness of the afore mentioned bands. Believe it or not, the only Tull album that has made any kind of impression on me is A Passion Play if we all could forget the dreadful, and out-of-place, section of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles. Anyway, Tull lacked the consistency of many of the other prog bands of the time. They may have had a unique style or whatever, but they've failed to do much for me. I get my kicks from plenty of other bands who I think brought more to the musical table.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 22:48
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I highly disagree. Tull may have had all the 'progressive' elements, but they ultimately could never touch Genesis, Yes, or King Crimson for me. I think their music lacks the inventiveness of the afore mentioned bands. Believe it or not, the only Tull album that has made any kind of impression on me is A Passion Play if we all could forget the dreadful, and out-of-place, section of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles. Anyway, Tull lacked the consistency of many of the other prog bands of the time. They may have had a unique style or whatever, but they've failed to do much for me. I get my kicks from plenty of other bands who I think brought more to the musical table.

I don't rate Crimson all that highly after Lizard. Poseidon and Lizard contain the best composed stuff but Haskells voice spoilt lizard a bit. Larks and Red had their moments though with nice slow tracks and the occasional riff but they lost all their jazz and classical ideas once Sinfield, Tippet and Collins were gone. Yes were at their best from 69-72 but after that they were patchy and they ran out of compositions so resorted to noises and dragged out songs. Genesis were a patchy too. Trespass and Foxtrot are the highlights for me in the Gabriel years and Trick and Wind are fine too. Yes were the best of those 3 bands in the early 70s. 1969-72 is great Yes. Genesis were the best of those 3 in the late 70s. I rate Tull 1969-72 just as good as Yes. TAAB is better than any Yes or Genesis album imo. Compositionally brilliant. Aqualung is a mixed bag. Very good(Side 1) and Mediocre(Side 2) but disc 2 of the 40th anniversary Aqualung shows why tull were as good as any band in 71. Half a dozen strong tracks from each disc is a very good output. But somehow the 2 weakest tracks on the whole 2 disc set are the most loved here. Wind up and My god and straight forward rock and are failures for tull standards imo. I love late 70s tull. Way ahead of Yes in that period. Crimson didn't even exist then. Genesis were probably similar to tull then. Back to the early 70s, Remasters such as Benefit and Warchild bring the quality back with the bonus tracks. Warchild was a soundtrack for a comedy so it was always going to be patchy and not typical of tull. But the bonus tracks show what the album probably would have sounded like if there was no movie sound track involved

Edited by dr prog - April 20 2014 at 22:54
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 22:57

I don't rate Crimson all that highly after Lizard. Poseidon and Lizard contain the best composed stuff but Haskells voice spoilt lizard a bit. Larks and Red had their moments though with nice slow tracks and the occasional riff but they lost all their jazz and classical ideas once Sinfield, Tippet and Collins were gone. Yes were at their best from 69-72 but after that they were patchy and they ran out of compositions so resorted to noises and dragged out songs. Genesis were a patchy too. Trespass and Foxtrot are the highlights for me in the Gabriel years and Trick and Wind are fine too. Yes were the best of those 3 bands of the 70s. 1969-72 is great Yes. I rate Tull 1969-72 just as good. TAAB is better than any Yes or Genesis album imo. Compositionally brilliant. Aqualung is a mixed bag. |Very good(Side 1) and Mediocre(Side 2) but disc 2 of the 40th anniversary Aqualung shows why tull were as good as any band in 71. I love late 70s tull. Way ahead of Yes in that period. Crimson didn't even exist then. Genesis were probably similar to tull then. Remasters such as Benefit and Warchild bring the quality back with the bonus tracks. Warchild was a soundtrack for a comedy so it was always going to be patchy and not typical of tull. But the bonus tracks show what the album probably would have sounded like if there was no movie sound track involved

At this juncture, we'll agree to disagree. Smile
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 23:46
Everyone disagrees with him. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 13:13
I have never seen Tull in concert...I would only have wanted to see them back in the early 70's. Everything after Passion Play seems lost and without purpose.
I would not want to see them today, I prefer to just sit back and spin the wax and hear them at their best.

And IMO Genesis had much better albums than Tull, Yes and KC....That Genesis lineup I doubt will ever be beat...ever.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 16:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have never seen Tull in concert...I would only have wanted to see them back in the early 70's. Everything after Passion Play seems lost and without purpose.
I would not want to see them today, I prefer to just sit back and spin the wax and hear them at their best.

And IMO Genesis had much better albums than Tull, Yes and KC....That Genesis lineup I doubt will ever be beat...ever.

I'd take heavy horses over most genesis albums. Love the folk trilogy of remasters. Cool bonus tracks. Added with bursting out, 1977-79 is a great tull period
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 16:29
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Everyone disagrees with him.
No we don't. On Tull, here, I think he's pretty much spot on.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 19:02

Thumbs Up Right on man! I completely agree. As much as I love Yes and King Crimson, these bands still don't grip me emotionally and intellectually like Genesis does. It just doesn't get any better for me. Yes really only had three albums I enjoy: Fragile, Close To The Edge, and Relayer, everything else I wouldn't save from a fire. King Crimson aren't consistent either as I like In the Court of the Crimson King, In the Wake of Poseidon, and Lizard, but haven't really got completely onboard with their other albums, but I did enjoy the 1980s rebirth, but that was a completely different band altogether when this happened.

All, IMHO, of course. Cool

Edited by Mirror Image - April 21 2014 at 19:03
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 20:38

For me, there is no Genesis album that is as perfect as Close to the Edge, or even Fragile (every Genesis album from the classic line-up has at least one stinker, even Selling England with Battle of Epping Forest). Plus, I find Yes' line-up from those albums better than the classic Genesis line-up... for me it is that Yes line-up the one that can't be beat.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 22:27
I'm starting the really enjoy some of Time and a word era Yes more than The Yes album, Fragile and Close to the edge. I really like the bonus track Dear father and No opportunity, The prophet and Time and a word. My fave 5 bands of the 1970-75 era would be tull, gentle giant, yes, magma and oblivion express. Fave 5 bands of the 1976-80 period are tull, graaf, genesis, camel, goblin. Fave bands of the 1981-84 period are rush, eloy and crimson,

Edited by dr prog - April 21 2014 at 22:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>