FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Howe Leaves Asia,new guitarist announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Howe Leaves Asia,new guitarist announced
    Posted: January 10 2013 at 11:19

From Steve's "Guitar Rondo" Site: I have left Asia to concentrate on Yes, my solo work & my Trio. I've enjoyed the 6 years of touring and recording with Asia, but now it's time to focus more on the above mentioned formations.
—Steve

Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 11:23
From the "Original Asia" site :

If 2012 was a year to remember for ASIA, with the release of the acclaimed studio album ‘XXX’ marking the band’s thirtieth anniversary, then 2013 is set to be another. John Wetton, Geoff Downes and Carl Palmer are delighted to announce that not only do they have an incredible talent in place to step into Steve Howe’s shoes, but also that their first international show with newcomer Sam Coulson will be a high profile performance at Sweden Rock 2013. Sam is a wonderful player, world-renowned amongst guitar virtuosos. Additionally, a new studio album, to be entitled ‘Valkyrie’, will be recorded for Frontiers Records during 2013 continuing the band’s relationship with the label.

John Wetton said, “ASIA is ready to take its next steps along this remarkable road. We cannot wait to perform again for the fans and also to unveil some of the new material, of which we are very proud”. Geoff Downes said, “We look forward to writing another chapter in Asia’s history”. Carl Palmer commented, “We’re all looking forward to the next decade of great ASIA music”.

asia2013

Sam Coulson, Geoff Downes, John Wetton and Carl Palmer

ASIA formed as a supergroup of stunning pedigrees, bringing together songwriter, lead vocalist and bassist John Wetton [King Crimson, UK], keyboardist Geoff Downes [Yes, The Buggles], drummer extraordinaire Carl Palmer [ELP] and Steve Howe [Yes]. Their self-titled debut album was the biggest selling album in the world in 1982 and monopolized the Number 1 slot in the Billboard charts for 9 weeks. The album is still in the top 3 Geffen sales of all time, with Guns ’n’ Roses and Whitesnake! With tracks like mega-hit ‘Heat Of The Moment’, ASIA helped to create the MTV phenomenon. The band’s work perfected the use of videos that encompassed stories and messages, examples being the work for ‘Wildest Dreams’, ‘Only Time Will Tell’, ‘The Smile Has Left Your Eyes’ and ‘Don’t Cry’. ‘Heat Of The Moment’ is still a radio fixture and has been in top TV and films including ‘40 Year Old Virgin’, ‘South Park’, ‘Cold Case’, ‘The Matador’ and countless others.

In 2006 the original band reunited for a tour of USA, which was followed by four world tours and several continental tours. The reunited band has played over 300 shows and released three new studio albums, three DVDs and a number of live albums. The track ‘An Extraordinary Life’, from 2008’s album ‘Phoenix’ was chosen as the theme music for America’s Got Talent. This is a band with plenty more to say.

With a new guitarist in place, Sweden Rock confirmed and more high profile live dates to come, plus a new album slated for release, the ASIA trajectory continues: onward and upwards!

Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 12:22
Well, blow me down. Shiver me timbers. Flabber my gast. 

This came out of the blue, although with the replacement (who I am not very familiar with) named simultaneously, it would appear to have been in the pipeline for a while.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 13:08
Yawn.....   Asia & Yes are over anyway.....Wink
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 13:12
Asia was over from teh start.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 13:59
Another album!  Is there no end to Wetton/Down's insipid AOR songs.  Sheesh!  Before you know it, Wetton, Downes and Palmer will be out and we'll have another fake Asia running around.  These bands will never die!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 14:13
They need to change the name from Asia to

"The Boy and His Grandpas'"
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 14:17
Originally posted by Clepsydra Clepsydra wrote:

Yawn.....   Asia & Yes are over anyway.....Wink
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 17:55
You would think that the fact that Downes is still in Yes would be a little awkward---I guess the solution would be to bring Moraz back and let Downes concentrate on Asia.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 20:14
Let's hope that I'll finally get to see Asia at Sweden Rock. Last time they were announced to play there the band declined to play due to their split with John Payne!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 20:30
Why does Asia need a virtuoso?  I could play their material when I was 16.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 20:49
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

You would think that the fact that Downes is still in Yes would be a little awkward---I guess the solution would be to bring Moraz back and let Downes concentrate on Asia.

That would be great indeed.
davemuttillo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 22:38
Hopefully he pumps some life into Asia's songwriting. Their last truly good album "Silent Nation" was with John Payne.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 01:15
Well with Howe gone thats Asia down the tubes. Mind you Asia have been down the gurgler for years now. I have little interest in their latest albums that have been real disappointments especially XXX. Howe might have been their one saving grace however, as at least the guitar work was great, if not the songwriting which is too much like the extreme side of AOR. Not even Prog related apart from the members themselves.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 12:01
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

That is the most puzzling thing... Virtuosos in the band and no virtuosity in their music.
I still love the debut for the compositions, the keyboards and the atmosphere, and partly even for the artwork, but even then it was a strange phenomenon. People like Howe and Palmer should always have space to show their virtuosity, whatever band they're in.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 12:24
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

That is the most puzzling thing... Virtuosos in the band and no virtuosity in their music.
I still love the debut for the compositions, the keyboards and the atmosphere, and partly even for the artwork, but even then it was a strange phenomenon. People like Howe and Palmer should always have space to show their virtuosity, whatever band they're in.

Agree 100%---I think the success of the first album, I think it was the biggest selling album of the year or one of them---you think well they didn't get my playing on The Ancient but now my playing is getting to millions and I like the cash, but Asia was a one hit album wonder for me---the rest was just recycling the first album.
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 14:23

What Asia did to progressive rock is similar to what hair metal bands did to heavy metal, except many hair metal bands had no musical talent, but were chosen on their looks

JIF8882 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 17:01
Why are people still complaining about Asia? So what if they're not prog, That's what we have our King Crimson, Yes, and ELP records for. I'm glad to see the old beast injected with some young blood. Maybe Sam could be a big presence in the guitar department? I saw a vid on YouTube last night of Sam being interview by Paul Gilbert of Mr. Big, and his playing sounded a bit like David Gilmour's. I do have one question, though:if Asia can follow XXX so quickly, why can't Yes follow up FFH within the same time frame? I assume that's why Howe left; to devote more time to recording the next Yes album.
J Dawg
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 17:22
Steve was the only straw of awsomness Asia had, even if John Wetton was a good bass player and singer. In terms of songs (not musicianship), they are the One Direction of prog. But deciding to continue without Steve is a bad decision.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 21:28
Oh NO! I loved this new old Asia, now we have a new new Asia. Or a new new old asia. I'm getting confused.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>