Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVarious Art Zoyd album tracks

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: So, do you have a favourite track?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [20.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [30.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Various Art Zoyd album tracks
    Posted: January 11 2013 at 15:03
Been a long time since I did an Art Zoyd or any Prog poll.  I have chosen particular tracks from particular Art Zoyd albums that I have listened to many times.  I was going to choose La Nuit off Phase IV, a traditional fave, but felt that t selected choice which I also love would fit in with my other poll choices a little better.  Normally my choice from Generation Sans Futur would be the title track (actually I love the last two, but felt La Ville fit the others better). Originally I was just going to do a few of these tracks which I feel quite similar. I doubt that many who know various of these would even recognise the titles.  LOL  So have fun, or not as the case may be.  I don't expect much interest.  It was really an excuse for me to revisit Art Zoyd since I have been delving into other music of late.  And don't worry if you hardly know any.

I think I'll go with Migrations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmF7-IPoqmw
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 15:18
Yeah, Migrations kicks all sorts of ass.... Too bad you didn't have Etat D'Urgence on there, as that is about the only track I like more than Migrations.
Magma America Great Make Again
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 15:31
I absolutely love everything from the first four albums. I really don't know which give my vote to.
I've clicked on the first six tracks several times and I can't decide

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 15:48
Either the track from Faust or Berlin.

I'll choose the latter this time.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 16:45
I'm going with the opening track on the debut because it has a Zeuhl flavour with those Blasquis-like vocals and the bass is quite prominant.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 16:48
By the way Greg this was tough because you picked some beauties. That side long suite, the title track from Musique Pour L'Odyssee is freaking incredible as well.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 18:26
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Yeah, Migrations kicks all sorts of ass.... Too bad you didn't have Etat D'Urgence on there, as that is about the only track I like more than Migrations.

yeah!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 18:31
Yeah,  Etat d'Urgence would have been a good choice.  La Nuit was the track that initially made me like Phase IV (still my favourite though I didn't choose it for the poll), and I found the opener really inaccessible at first, but grew to really like that one, as well as the rest of the album.  Phase IV was one of Art Zoyd's that took a little time for me to fully enjoy, and I wasn't sure which track I'd choose...  Only four of these was I dead-set on from their respective albums as my "representative" choices (the Musique pour l'Odyssee one, which I considered voting for, the one I voted for, the Haxan one, and the Berlin one).

And thanks for that, John.  I think it's pretty hard to go wrong with most of these albums

Edited by Logan - January 11 2013 at 18:34
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 19:45
I had a hard time choosing between these tracks. Also because I think you made a good job of pairing together similar sounding moods and atmospheres...... and I am a huge fan of this group.

In the end I voted for the Berlin one. I have completely fallen for that album, and I believe they managed to depict the coldness of the surrounding decade through those mechanical and metronomic beats in an astonishing way. Something transcendent about the whole thing

Incidentally, have you checked out the new one from last year? Eye Catcher I think it's called.

Oh and a somewhat belated happy new year to you Greg. I hope you are doing good.
It's always a pleasure to have you around this place.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 20:14
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

By the way Greg this was tough because you picked some beauties. That side long suite, the title track from Musique Pour L'Odyssee is freaking incredible as well.

Big fan of Musique pour L'Odyssee as well. With the vocal outbursts it almost feel like an avant-garde classical zeuhl album.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 20:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Big fan of Musique pour L'Odyssee as well. With the vocal outbursts it almost feel like an avant-garde classical zeuhl album.
Well put David !

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 17:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I had a hard time choosing between these tracks. Also because I think you made a good job of pairing together similar sounding moods and atmospheres...... and I am a huge fan of this group.

In the end I voted for the Berlin one. I have completely fallen for that album, and I believe they managed to depict the coldness of the surrounding decade through those mechanical and metronomic beats in an astonishing way. Something transcendent about the whole thing

Incidentally, have you checked out the new one from last year? Eye Catcher I think it's called.

Oh and a somewhat belated happy new year to you Greg. I hope you are doing good.
It's always a pleasure to have you around this place.

Thanks, I did indeed try to tie together similar sounding moods and atmospheres.  I have heard the first disc of Eyecatcher (the first disc being about an hour long) in streaming form a couple of times, and liked it very much.  It follows their more modern path, and is far from rock, but has some classic moments as well.  It took some patience, and streaming on my computer is not as good quality as I'm used to (checked it out on grooveshark).  Certain parts I particularly like.  Guessing you haven't heard it yet.  It's an electro-acoustic, electronic with samples, ambient/ atmospheric, and "avant-garde neo-classical" (a rather weird-sounding juxtaposition of terms there) work.  Some of it is Ligeti/ Zeit-like (boy I reference Ligeti a lot) and some is quite vibrant with subtle melodies and some have the feel of, say, a Penderecki -- some Stockhausen influence etc. yadda yadda to my ears.  I would have liked to hear and see it as the art exhibit, soundtrack... rather than just listening to the music, but there are wonderful moments, and I liked it very much, and will get it at some time.  It should be sold in DVD/ Blu-Ray form to see and hear (I think CDs a lousy format anyway, but that's by-the-by).

Happy new year to you too, David.  I'm doing pretty well, though to be honest life is fraught with more hurdles than usual.  I just have to buckle down to take control of life a bit.  Hope all is well with you.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 12:06
Uuuhhh that sounds positively intriguing to me. I was actually about to purchase it at some point, but I must've forgot. Seems as if I forget a lot of things recently....I am fine thanks, although I too have far too much ado. I need a holiday to somewhere warm methinks.

I was listening to Phase IV earlier, and while it for some reason never clicked with me, I think it's slowly unveiling itself to me. I really digged it. Funny how some music needs waaaaaaaaaay much time to sink in.

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 12:33
It's worth checking out Eye Catcher, though I doubt I'll purchase it any time soon.  Other post 80s stuff other than haxan and Faust I have by them I just rarely play even if I find it intriguing and rez\ally enjoy it if I'm in the right mood.  I'm really something of a muzak guy at heart.

Interesting that we've had the same experience with Phase IV.  Others album by AZ were a breeze for me to get into, including the similar Les Espaces Inquiets, which I remember one Phase IV fan saying had been really difficult for him.  The last three tracks clicked quiclky for me, especially La Nuit which was love on first listen.  Art Zoyd can require a fair amount of patience, and the right state of mind for me to fully enjoy a newish to me album by them.  With, say, Les Mariage... I loved the opening immediately, but the rest was at first a bit of a slog for me.  And still some albums such as Metropolis are hard for me to concentrate all the way though (and I usually prefer as background music).  I would like to see some of these films with the Art Zoyd soundtracks, though I kind of feel like the music wouldn't always work the way I'd want it to with the films (be an experience, anyway).

A warm holiday sure would be nice.  Hope you can make the time ere too long.  By the way, my wife is supposed to go to Denmark (Copenhagen) at some time this year, and if it's during the warm months and she isn't too rushed since she'll have a few European stops for work reasons, I might just join her.  Or I might just meet up with her in London.  I probably won't go cause of other responsibilities and that' she only really has a chance to enjoy a place at the end of her work stay (and she's probably fly out of England), but I'd sure love to head over there and take a side-trip to visit relatives in Sweden.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 13:05
I must admit that I initially found Phase lV near unlistenable. I guess my ears have evolved through the last couple of years. Sounds that once seemed odd and mad(in a negative way that is - usually mad is a connotation that I cherish and seek out) now come across more easily, and whereas these tricky sections always were part of my music history and library, I never managed to fully grasp them outside of overt psychedelic records or jazz ones with a mad spirit. Now everything seems a-go, although I don't particularly enjoy music that tries too hard to be 'prog' and/or convoluted.

Cool your wife is coming over here. Scandinavia is a beautiful place, but it is much more inviting and friendly during the warmer months, so I guess you guys are onto something.
If you go to Sweden, then visit Malmö. The bridge between Sweden and Denmark is right there and it only takes a couple of minutes to cross it, - and then you are close to the very jewel of Scandinavia. Christiania. I don't know if you know this place, but it's a 'free' society made up of artists, hippies, craftsmen and all kinds of charming people who all moved there to be part of something special.
Lots of colors, interesting and creative folks, music, nature as well as a somewhat open relationship to weed.

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 13:34
I also don't really go for ones that try hard to be Prog or convoluted.  Today I'm mostly in a Lucifer's Rising mood.  Terrible story behind the composer, but wow, what an album. 

Thanks for the advice regarding Malmö and Christiania.  I'd appreciate the fairly open relationship to weed, though my inexperienced wife does not approve of some of my practices that may lead to "not necessarily stoned, but beautiful" states of mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply