Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I think Echolyn should be changed to Eclectic Prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI think Echolyn should be changed to Eclectic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 01:04
Well at the end I don't care what Echolyn is classified as long as they get new listers/fans because besides being really nice people they are really good REALLY GOOD musically too!! I have an odd taste not easily pleased and I certainly like them a lot Approve
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 03:01
I only have the one from Echolyn, Mei, which really is a fantastic album.  Going off that one, they are definitely in the right place in symphonic.

I really must get more from Echolyn.  Any recommendations?
Federico95 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 08:14
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

I only have the one from Echolyn, Mei, which really is a fantastic album.  Going off that one, they are definitely in the right place in symphonic.

The last album is the best they ever made for me, and I think it is also the best Prog album of the new millennium Tongue
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 08:23
I've listened to Echolyn since 2000 or so, and have all but their first album and Cowboy Poems Free (gotta fill those holes!).  I've been coming to this site since 2004.  I didn't realize they were in symphonic until I saw this thread.  I really don't care how they are classified, only that they are a great band and that they are certainly prog.  I don't really have an issue with symphonic, even if I would say now that it doesn't seem like a perfect fit.  It's probably close enough.  Eclectic would probably be okay as well, but I don't see a pressing need to change them.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 11:13

"Suffocating the Bloom" and "As the World" are pretty essential for any prog fan.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 11:25
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I've listened to Echolyn since 2000 or so, and have all but their first album and Cowboy Poems Free (gotta fill those holes!).  I've been coming to this site since 2004.  I didn't realize they were in symphonic until I saw this thread.  I really don't care how they are classified, only that they are a great band and that they are certainly prog.  I don't really have an issue with symphonic, even if I would say now that it doesn't seem like a perfect fit.  It's probably close enough.  Eclectic would probably be okay as well, but I don't see a pressing need to change them.

I'm not going to keep going on about my opinion since I stated it several times here. As far as I'm concerned this thread has evolved into a general discussion about Echolyn.

As for their first album, it is rare and has never been re-released but it is included in the "a little nonsense now and then" "box" set. I have an autographed copy of that actually. It's worth searching out if you like the band and has some other goodies on it. Cowboy Poems is very good but it's a bit more in the song oriented direction and even a little alternative(but in a good way).

I consider myself honored to know the band personally and to have had the opportunity to hang out with them and interview them. Not all musicians are pompous egotistical jerks who don't give a crap about their fans.
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 08:47
Echolyn is symphonic but with touch of "weirdness"  (I feel some Gentle Giant influence)
I'd say they fall into several categories: symphonic prog, neo prog, heavy prog, eclectic prog

the whole classification idea with single category is limited.
if the band evolutioned from hard prog to post-electronic-industrial-blah-blah-blah, how it should be classified?

Edited by awaken77 - January 16 2013 at 08:49
Awakened Stranger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:54
I think I agree that Eclectic is a better category. They sound a lot like they cut their musical teeth listening to Gentle Giant, and GG is listed under Eclectic, are they not?
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 07:34
They should be filed under Neo Prog! Tongue

(but I am not good at those categorization thingies so I won't say more)

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

My favourites are their self-named debut with some great compositions like The Great Men and Shades (influenced by early Marillion and Genesis), and the second album Suffocating the Bloom (which contains a nice suite + a bit of 12 tone music).

Actually those two albums and Mei are the three albums closest to Symphonic from their whole discography (aww, now I said something about the categories, what I did not wanted...)

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 08:01
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

They should be filed under Neo Prog! Tongue

No!

Big smile
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 08:12
A better answer (than my previous 'No') would be we this.  So many bands that were categorized based on their first album or two, or on what ever was their most popular album, or on what ever their most recent album was when they were suggested for inclusion.  There are so many different reasons that a band has been categorized where they have been.  There's a reason that they are in the genre that they are in now and doing revisionist history doesn't do us any good.

Let me give an example, Steven Wilson is tagged as a Crossover Prog artist, this was based on Insurgentes as that was the only album available when he was initially evaluated.  After 'The Raven That Refused to Sing' you could have made a strong case that he should be moved to Symphonic.  A couple years later he released 'Hand Cannot Erase' which I think is clearly Crossover, so we'd have moved him back?  It wouldn't have done any good to have had him moved.

There are many bands that were borderline cases for one genre or another.  There is enough to do other than reopening debates that were settled years ago.  Someone said this before, but can you imagine the chaos of the 'Should Genesis be moved to Crossover' thread?  

I strongly encourage anyone who is worried about the genre a particular band or especially an album is in, to do a review and describe the music in your terms.  I don't see a problem with a review that starts 'this album is more of an eclectic album than a symphonic, and here is why . . . "

Edited by Roland113 - July 10 2015 at 08:25
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
echolynfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 17:11
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Well it's just my opinion. The latest one might be their most symphonic or tradtional prog sounding in while. I just don't hear a lot of symphonic elements in the majority of their music. They seem pretty diverse to me. Others don't see it that way so I'll just have to live with them being labelled symphonic on here. No big deal I guess.

Tom is a cool guy. I actually live in the same general area as Echolyn, know the guys personally fairly well, have seen them several times in concert, hung out with them and drank some beers with them backstage at Progday, helped them move some of their instruments on stage and interviewed them last summer.  echolyninterview.blogspot.com I might get in trouble for posting that here but there it is anyway. They are pretty friendly guys. Tom, Brett and Chris were interviewed by myself online(although I told some of them beforehand in person I was doing it)while the other two were not as internet savy but I'm sure they were grateful in their own way even though one of them did did steal one of my nachos. :P Still a great bunch of guys though and very talented musicians.

hahahaha how dare they steal your nachos!!! umphf! UnhappyWink Tom is nice and hot!!! Approve Plus sweet and he loves animals awwwww (go on everyone say... awwwww)  Heart , I posted this on his fb wall too Big smile too funny... he is easy to provoke because he is such a nice guy and shy lolol haha!!! LOL Also he does have a sense of humor/humour Tongue

Great thread and like Prog Traveller live just an hour away from their studio here I've been friends with echolyn since 2000. They really are a fantastic group of guys and humble considering their status in the prog community. I've been lucky to have hung out with them at their studio while they were working on the Window Album which was a great experience!

The definition of "Eclectic is: deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources" and I think this describes echolyn perfectly. Chris Buzby has a formal classical music education and I credit him for the wonderful, structured arrangements while the rest of the band gives echolyn it's "American" rock sound. There's just no other band like them.

mei could be considered symphonic since they actually had a mini-symphony accompany them at Nearfest 2002 and for their DVD for which I was present at both....it was amazing!

echolyn was written up in a book by John Covach "American Rock & The Classical Music Tradition" A great book and there is section on echolyn's album "As The World" written by John Covach who many of you know and also played with Chris Buzby's brother Jonn's band "Land Of Chocolate" (another great albeit short lived band)

If you haven't already noticed my thread on echolyn's new album "i heard you listening" coming out this July 31st, 2015 here's a sample:

" Fashions and fads a fictitious flirtation the foremost foundation to fit in" - echolyn (As The World)

My Facebook page please LIKE and share! https://www.facebook.com/echolynfan?ref=hl

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 17:20
Originally posted by Federico95 Federico95 wrote:

The last album is the best they ever made for me, and I think it is also the best Prog album of the new millennium Tongue

The new album "i heard you listening" is nothing like mei but it's IMO the best album they've produced to date...even eclipsing the last album (self titled but known as the Window Album) which I thought they'd never top. There's just no slowing these guys down ...they're just on fire!

" Fashions and fads a fictitious flirtation the foremost foundation to fit in" - echolyn (As The World)

My Facebook page please LIKE and share! https://www.facebook.com/echolynfan?ref=hl

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 18:26
I listened to Echolyn's new album premiere live here at the time on ProgScape radio http://progscaperadio.com/0524.php

Prior to that a week before I tuned into DJ Tony fro m House of Prog interviewing Echolyn live too via Skype and he played 4 new of their tracks :)
hugs Hug
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 19:21
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I listened to Echolyn's new album premiere live here at the time on ProgScape radio http://progscaperadio.com/0524.php

Prior to that a week before I tuned into DJ Tony fro m House of Prog interviewing Echolyn live too via Skype and he played 4 new of their tracks :)
hugs Hug

I still have to listen to those - I'm friends with Mike who does Progscape and he tried to get me to listen to his show before the 24 bit upload but i wouldn't. Except for when I hear snippets of new stuff while with the band I refuse to listen to the end product until release. I'm just weird that way lol

I have to ask....how did a young woman like yourself get into prog? Even Brett at a small private concert up in Boston I went to (at Paul Arsenaults house..one of the ProgEars guys) in his living room...said thanks to all the women who came out to the show...it's a rare thing at a progressive show lol. I filmed the entire concert on digital tape and uploaded it to youtube but his comments are at the end of this one:

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 00:38
Kati is not from this earth.
Wink
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 00:40
Listening to "Vanishing Sun" from the new album, btw!
"F*ck!n kill me now!"  Pinch

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 16:17
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Wink

Hahaha...I believe it :)

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 16:18

Listening to "Vanishing Sun" from the new album, btw!
"F*ck!n kill me now!"  Pinch

Love that tune...along with Once I Get Mine which just jams! Ray writes some pretty depressing stuff on this album...pretty painful in fact. It must be all that Death Metal he listens to lol

Edited by echolynfan - July 21 2015 at 19:28

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 16:58
Originally posted by echolynfan echolynfan wrote:

Wink

Hahaha...I believe it :)
LOL lol Infocat, that's right I am a woman, very hard to understand as we seem to be from Venus Stern Smile 
Anyway, a 3some group hug here HugBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>